1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-04 04:20:53)

Topic: New Amp Speakers Day!

My new speakers for my amp were in the parcel bin when I arrived home today, and they're now installed in my Peavey and working great:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-catxhRXWK3w/VPZ_PoZpwTI/AAAAAAAAAD8/AMbUvrBWbf0/s800/P3030384.JPG

The original Peavey ValveKing speakers were "floppy" sounding in the bottom end. The folks at Warehouse Guitar Speakers recommended a non-identical pairing of their Veteran 30 (equivalent of a Celestion Vintage 30), and their ET65 (equivalent of a Celestion G12-65). Great suggestion! The combo gives a full, clean sound as well as lots of tight, low-end growl. And the best part is the WGS speakers cost about half of what the Celestion counterparts do. I expected an improvement, but didn't realize just how much better my amp would sound.

Check them out at http://wgs4.com/ .

Re: New Amp Speakers Day!

I read your first comment and was admiring your handywork thinking to myself 'those speaker look different ????'.

I now understand why. Something I had never thought of, different speakers to compliment each other, and improve the audio response. Great advise from your suppliers.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-04-14 21:20:22)

Thanks, Roger ...

They have a "Tone Chart" which describes the sound dynamics of each one:

https://wgs4.com/sites/default/files/WGS-2015-01-tonechart.pdf

So the ET65 scoops low at the midrange, while the Veteran 30 does the opposite ... best of both worlds. Marshall does the same thing in their JVM210C amp (also a 100-watt, 2 x 12" amp), by pairing a Celestion Vintage 30 with a Celestion Heritage. That was the way they explained it to me, and my ears confirm it. In their words from their website:

"Possibly the best WGS speaker combination we can recommend is the ET65 paired with a Veteran 30™. Your cabinet will sound more full and colorful than you ever imagined."

Those speakers look important with all that fancy writing on the labels, guys. 65 watts is more than I'd ever need, but I sure would like to hear them in action, [b]TF{/b].

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-04-14 21:21:55)

Thanks, SB Bill ... I don't have any recording gear, or I'd be happy to upload a sample. Then you could hear how lousy I am! (LOL)

The amp itself has a 100-watt output, and the speakers are rated at 60w and 65w (both at 16 ohm) similar to what was in the cabinet originally. This is more power than I need also, but I got the amp a couple years ago for $500 (brand new, taxes incl) so it was too good a buy to walk away from. Adding in the extra $150 for the new speakers (total $650), and it now sounds (to my ears) as good as a Marshall JVM210C, which lists for $2,900 CDN at Musician's Friend.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-04-24 16:51:04)

I finally got the chance to really wind these things out last night, and it was real blast. Four of us rented a local community hall for the evening ($50 total) for the purpose of having a loud jam session. After hammering through some Led Zeppelin, Rush, Jethro Tull, Dire Straits, etc., we agreed that we all need some more practice.

Aside of that, these WGS speakers really do perform very well, and even moreso when driven hard. If you wish to improve the sound of a budget amplifier, I highly endorse these.

Glad you're having fun with them, TF! smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Cool,I have a Peavy decade it is small, I bought it about 1982 and have had no problems with it it is good for around the house or a small venue.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tf some fine looking speakers there the price is reasonable too congrats smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-04-25 10:28:43)

Thanks, guys ...

At home in the rec room, the loudest I can run them is with the amp set at "2", and the volume pedal in the 1/2 to 3/4 range. Any more and there's uncontrollable feedback. At the hall, I was able to set it at "6" and really hear what it could do. We played through the 2112 Overture (Rush) several times, and it sounded quite good ... if I do say so myself.

Other fun pieces we played were "The Ocean", "Black Dog", and "Over the Hills and Far Away" (Led Zeppelin), "Southbound Again" and Money for Nothing" (Dire Straits), as well as "Breathe", "Comfortably Numb", and "Sorrow" (Pink Floyd). I love playing the opening section of "Sorrow", but was unable to do it properly with the trem now taken off.

Been a long time since I jammed with other musicians, and it was a real treat.