Topic: New, Scary Experience

I recently completed an acting job that I got thanks to my (limited) skill with guitar. It was for a production of "Romeo and Juliet" in which everyone in the cast sang and played a musical instrument. The play was cut down to about 75 minutes, toured to high schools, and was performed by a cast of only six actors who played multiple roles. I was the oldest member of the cast, which was predominated by men and women in the mid twenties, and they all had a lot more musical training and talent than I did. The most intimidating thing was that they all seemed able to memorize music much, much easier than I did. I picked up the guitar a few years ago and had never played with other musicians until this production. I had never used a pick! I had never stood up and played with a strap! I was getting up at 5 a.m. and practicing my music for several hours before rehearsals and I couldn't believe how difficult it was. I was used to playing folk songs and these were much more difficult. I think it took me about ten hours of practicing for every minute of music I played. Ultimately, things went ok, but hanging over my head was the fear that I would make a big mistake. During this production, I thought a lot about my fellow guitarists on Chordie and all the experiences you've had.

After this, I'm resolved start taking lessons and find opportunities to play with other musicians.

Re: New, Scary Experience

hi artie, there's no thrill like playing with other musos. i always tell youngsters that say they want to become "pop stars" get into a band of some kind and learn your trade before going on X factor and expecting to be the next big thing.

i found getting music books and learning scales then listening to recorded music and listening to how the song was recorded, strumming patterns etc helped me to a great extent. all i can say is try a lesson or two before committing yourself to a whole course of tuition that you may regret after a while, you may just be picking-up the instructors style when you really want to develope your own.

you obviously have a talent or you wouldn't have been asked in the first place...and don't worry about taking a long time to learn parts, i tend to forget whole lines of songs that i've been performing for 40 years, and it's almost impossible to learn new songs. but i keep trying smile

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Yep. There's no substitute for playing with others. My fastest progress came with sitting around with others and playing VERY quietly along with them. After about a year I was far more comfortable with my abilities and didn't mind playing a bit louder so I could be heard.

That is awesome bud! Fan-freakin'-tastic!!!

I cut my teeth in musical theater when I played upright bass and trombone but never was on stage. That would be scary indeed. You're right about the practicing. It takes an awful lot, and if your troop was anything like ours was there's a lot of transposing to do once the orchestra gets with the players.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude