Topic: Backyard Gathering 2015 - Chordie Friends

Alright, I'm dragging this whole idea back up... for a gathering THIS SUMMER!  If you are a friend of mine and Jim's, you're invited!  Jim and I keep going back and forth and back and forth... and I haven't gotten a LOT of solid responses regarding the Salmon River... so here's the new improved plan!

When:  AUGUST 15, 2015
Where: Our house in Central NY State
Who:  Local and Chordie Friends

What:
Backyard style gathering
Guitars
Food on the grill
Bon Fire
Kid Friendly
Tent Friendly
Boat/Yak/Canoe Friendly

We'll do one day and evening dedicated as a backyard relaxed party.  This means that if you live close you bring a dish, everyone BYOB and a lawn chair if you are able (coolers make great seats).  Bring your guitar if you are able (or share ours)!  Bring along the kids if you'd like (make sure they bring their suits because there will likely be a sprinkler or slip-n-slide set up).  Bring along warmer clothing for the evening.  Should it rain, we'll move to the wrap around porch (though the Farmer's Almanac says August should be fairly warm and dry).  Jim and I will provide food (NY Salt Potatoes, NY Sweet Corn, burgers, dogs, dead cow, maybe even dead pig, the best tater salad you've ever had in your life, fresh fruit, etc). 

Note:  When I say, NY I do not live anywhere near New York City.  This is rural, Upstate NY.  We live in the central part of NY State.  Send me a message for the specific address.

Of COURSE those traveling should plan to stay for the weekend and if you'd like to stay longer, we'd LOVE to have you!  The yard is plenty large enough to throw up a tent.  There are also tons of nearby NY State Campgrounds (as well as private ones).  There are motels close, and Hotels close enough.  We do have a little bit of space inside - couches to crash on, however we have hardwood floors so crashing on a floor may not be a best plan unless you bring along a pad.  Along with one day of an outdoor party, we'll do a few days of just relaxed picking, strumming, or helping you find cool things to see depending on the turn out of course!  Nearby are streams, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, nature trails, and historic sites (battlefields and forts).  The Boxing Hall of Fame and Baseball Hall of Fame are within driving distance as well.  The Adirondacks are about a 1 1/2 hour drive, Niagara Falls is about a 3 hour drive from here, and New York City is about 5.  If you want to come up and join us and go off wandering and exploring, I'll have dinner on the table for you when you get back.  smile  Come visit and join us for a little in person Chordie Family Style Gathering!  The closest airport is SYR.  For more specific details, shoot me an email.  We don't have a problem picking people up from the Airport and will drive further than the nearest one.  If you're coming from overseas, we might even go as far as driving out to JFK to get you!  wink

Should no one from Chordie be able to make it, we'll have a blast without ya!  wink  Seriously, we plan to have local friends and family over, so I'm extending this invite to my Chordie Friends as well.  We hope you can come!!

I'll update the specific date as soon as I have responses from those that may be traveling from overseas - If you want to come but your dates are limited and you'd like to help us select a specific date in August, PLEASE DO post a message or send me an email or contact me somehow because all of August is open for us except the last weekend.

So... who's claiming a couch?  Hurry!  Limited Quantities!  tongue

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Backyard Gathering 2015 - Chordie Friends

OOF!

Another one I can't get to! smile

Y'all have fun!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

OOF!

Another one I can't get to! smile

Y'all have fun!

Bill

Diitto!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Wow ... what an awesome weekend you've planned out, Amy & Jim!

Even from here to Plattsburgh NY represents a 16 hour non-stop drive each way (according to MapQuest). So with other obligations (work, horses, funds, etc.) it's just way too far for us.

This sounds like a really fun party! I've been asked to play again this summer,on the deck of a local lakeside restaurant/bar on friday/saturday nights. So my weekends are mostly filled at this point.But,I would still like to come and hang out for at least a day or so, to meet some of y'all. So at this point I am a yes, maybe, hope to be!

Sounds like a fun weekend. Looks like about a 9 hour drive.  Unless something comes up, I'll try to make it.  Thanks for the invite Amy.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

8 hours from here. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?

That has possibilities! smile

Would love to be there but it's just gonna be too far for me. Thanks for the invite.

Nela

The date has been set, and I've updated my original post to reflect this.  Saturday, August 15, 2015 ... if you can't make it out then, but might be able to make it out the next weekend or sometime in between, please let me know (hummin n strummin, I'll be sure to send you an email with further details and if I don't see TIGLJK in here, he'll be getting one too.  You're both too close not to make it sometime during the week!).  We will have at least one guitar playing guest that will be here for a bit, plus my Dad plays and is retired, so there will be plenty of visiting/guitar opportunities in that time frame.

To assist in planning your travel distance before I send out emails with my exact address, you can go ahead and plug this into your favorite map program:

Sylvan Beach Amusement Park
112 Bridge St
Sylvan Beach, NY 13157

That's right down the road (about 4 miles) from my house.  It's also the quaint amusement park I've spoken about.  There are several motels in town, and a very very long beach along Oneida Lake.  Any questions at all, please ask or email me!

Hi Amy,

I have been looking into getting to you and I am afraid that it needs two stop-overs and if:
I leave Faro at 11:30, I get to Dublin at 14:25;
I then leave Dublin at 16:00 to get to New York at 23:30;
then I leave New York at 02:40 to get to Syracuse at 04:07 (local time 23:07).

That is 17.5 hours travelling without having to worry about getting to yours from there............

......so I have booked it. lol

See you in August.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

11 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-03-29 13:33:38)

mekidsmom wrote:

Sylvan Beach, NY 13157

Well apparently I enter the wrong information into my search the first time.

It turns out to be 4.5 hours. I'm in. smile

Edit: Looks liked I used TF's destination of Plattsburgh NY. Big difference.

Damn! Guess this is the only way I'll make it, Amy and Jim!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6c0012pVQ

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Roger's itinerary gives me the heebie-jeebies just looking at it! That is true dedication to music, Chordie and world travel!! Have a great time, Mr G...
Would love to be there too, but I think it's unlikely. As I've mentioned before, Mrs Norm and I are hoping to visit NYC at some time (and swing by to see the lovely Amy and family), but August is just about the worst possible time for us. But if we ever get round to planning that trip, we WILL come & see you!
Glad to see that there are some Chordians already planning to come. Many more to folow, I hope...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Wow Rogers got acoarse set out there ,great that he is coming again,I think he will be awe of the New York forests and mountains you have there he should go check out New York City while he is here its an awesome place too visit.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I had a great time visiting Amy 2 years ago, she and Jim are excellent hosts, their kids are great, and her Dad is really fun too - I could listen to his railroad songs for hours. I'd love to be there, but my travel plans this summer are already pretty full - I'll see

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wanting to come, but unlikely. That is marching band timing, and I am shuttle Dad.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf- Shuttle Dad is a very important responsibility. Should someone else offer to man the shuttle, know that you're more than welcome to make a surprise visit!

Paul - Totally understandable!  We certainly do hope that you let us know when you'll be in the states again.  If there's anyway we can meet you somewhere along your route, we'll be sure to do so!

Joe (UJB - First name is Joe right?) - We had a feeling you may have been entering in the wrong info!  It took us about 6 driving hours to get to Virgina for the Zurfapalooza (July River Jam) a few years ago.  You'd have to be in some realllllly weird out of the way place for it to take you more than 5 hours to get to us from PA!  smile  AWESOME to hear you'll be able to make it! 

Dave - Roger will be here for a bit, so if you can't make it on the weekend you're more than welcome to come up during the week!  Just give us a heads up so we can be sure to be home (Roger will want to go out to take photos and I know some GREAT places for that which are not quite in my backyard) and can hopefully get my Dad here as well. 

There's a "Sunset Celebration" on Monday evenings in Sylvan Beach.  This pretty much means free parking in one designated lot, the crafters set up their junk, and pretty much anyone is welcome to "do their thing".  I've gone a few times and "busked" there for the fun of it (I made a dollar and change).  I was thinking an out of the way spot on the lawn between the lake and the free parking might be a nice spot for a Monday evening jam!  Anyone with kids will love this, as the beach and amusement park are all right there to walk; there are also some picnic spots set up close by to use free of charge (charcoal grills and picnic tables), although the kids and I usually just sit in the grass here.

I should also mention that every Tuesday is Bike Night and every Thursday is Classic Car Night in Sylvan Beach!  If the weather is nice (and it should be), the town will be filled with things men like to look at (yes, the women do prance around in bikini's too).  And yes, as a woman I am very thankful that I live a few miles away and not right in the midst of it all.  Wednesdays there is usually a local band playing in the center of town.  Everyone brings a chair and sits and listens.  This is pretty popular around here, most of the small towns have something similar.  Most of the bands are ok, but the Polka Band kind of rocks (I sooo hate admitting to that).

TF - That's a LONG drive!  I totally understand not being able to get away for long with horses!  To board one costs as much as to board a person!

DE - If you can make it, please bring Jen along with you if possible!  I didn't get enough time to visit properly with her last year, and I would really like to make up for that! 

NOW... as for Roger's VERY long trip!  I have to say, he's got a few full days of travel ahead of him for sure!  I assisted him in finding flights.  There were some other options for shorter trips, but rest assured, the airlines make you pay for that!  Honestly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Several different short flights that travel more miles over all, costing more fuel and manpower cost less money than one or two longer flights that travel less miles and cost less manpower.  I guess the airlines haven't caught onto the whole cost of fuel and wages thing yet.  Maybe they'll eventually get it.  I'm hoping to visit around the world myself, as soon as they figure out how to use the metal detector as a transporter and just beam me up since it won't cost near as much fuel or manpower as the current travel situation.  big_smile

NELA, Bill, Dino - You guys are going to have to plan something close to home!  I think this is a great opportunity to allow Chordians that aren't able to travel as far a chance to meet up and get together.  I've enjoyed meeting many of the folks on here, and am really excited to possibly put some new faces to online identities!  smile

mekidsmom wrote:

Joe (UJB - First name is Joe right?)

That would be a yes. smile

mekidsmom wrote:

We had a feeling you may have been entering in the wrong info!  It took us about 6 driving hours to get to Virgina for the Zurfapalooza (July River Jam) a few years ago.  You'd have to be in some realllllly weird out of the way place for it to take you more than 5 hours to get to us from PA!  smile !

I'm 15 miles west of 81 and about 40 north of the Pa/Md line. I just assumed TF's destination was near you and plugged it in to mapquest. Guess I shouldn't have been so quick to assume. roll

The weather's been soooo nice.  We've got summer temps in May!  It's crazy.  So, after the very very cold winter, I've been either working my tail off or OUTSIDE.  But, I have been thinking about everyone!  By the time August gets here, it will be a perfect time for some SERIOUS relaxation.  So, just thought I'd bump this up to make sure those that didn't see it do, and those that weren't sure are reminded, and those that are sure don't forget!  3 MONTHS!  The time will fly, but hopefully not too fast!  wink  Enjoy your day everyone!

I sure wish I wasn't so far away. I would love to come and sing one with you. I know whoever shows up will have lots of fun.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Bikinis ,Car Shows!! my kind of fun but way too far away.

Pete and Dino - I think you two should plan a gathering over on that side of the country!  Of course, if you did, I'd be all upset because then I couldn't likely make it to yours!  We sure do have a good group of people here.  The Chordie Family is the best!  smile

I like Amy's suggestion about a west coast gathering. I kinda miss the west coast. I think with advance notice we might be able to do it?

I'll host. wink I have plenty of room and a great yard and pool.

Chordiestock Las Vegas.