1 (edited by selso 2015-04-03 21:47:55)

Topic: our role as artitists.

I recently had this question posed to me and I guess I was just wondering what yalls thought were. As an artist, what do you think your role in society is?

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: our role as artitists.

While I am better described as a "hack" than an artist, I'd like to believe that making music has influenced the younger generation to appreciate music and even influenced them to enjoy making music themselves (specifically my kids, nieces and nephews). Both of my sons as well 1 niece and nephew play at least 1 instrument. I know my boys thought it was very cool to see the old man playing "in public", and by making a fool of myself, made it that much easier for them to pursue music.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I agree with TD. I do not consider myself an artist. I can play some stuff and know more than someone who doesn't play. My role as I see it, because of the knowledge and some might say gift, is to teach, encourage, and inspire others. For the past year or so I have been leading kids guitar workshops. While I don't get very deep with them, my hope is that at least one of them will be bitten by the guitar bug and pass it on when they are able.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

my answer was to move and inspire people. that being said though I never set out to write something specially. nor so I feel like I have to preach. I just try to be honest and true to what I know. if they get it, they get it. if they don't, they don't. cheers!

Reverend Horton Heat

5 (edited by dino48 2015-04-04 19:11:47)

Hopefully that someone will like my playing and that I can inspire others too play music and also when I was younger too help me attract lady's.!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Selso, I like your answer.  I don't consider myself an artist really in any of the arts I dabble in.  I'm just barely getting by and unaccomplished. 99% of the time what I do is for myself and my own soul first and foremost.  I don't do it for society.  I hope that others enjoy it from their point of view in a way that's similar to mine though.  So I'll go similarly with your answer.  To move people, and try to show them beauty where it might be unexpected.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

For me, the highest calling for all art forms is to make people think.

That thinking may be reflective, imaginative, introspective, emotive ... whatever, but if it exercises the mind and motivates further thought, then it's mission accomplished. Really good music, either playing it or listening to it, has the ability to absorb a person completely. For the musician, the need to concentrate so much is good mental exercise, especially if singing and playing something simultaneously that is somewhat complex. Motivation to think ... final answer!

"The reason so many people get lost in thought, is that it's unfamiliar territory for them."  - Anonymous

Glad to see we're all kinda on the same page on this though I think you guys sell yourselves short by not considering yourselves artists.

Reverend Horton Heat

I was actually pondering that whole thought as I fell asleep last night.  Not considering myself an artist that is.  I guess the truth is that I DO consider myself an artist, just not one that's good enough to be paid for it.  LOL!  Now, if we're talking about coloring hair... I'm all over getting money for that because I KNOW I am better than a lot of the people around doing it.  I don't do it as a job though these days, as it's a difficult schedule to keep with my family.  Oddly, I find that each year I become more and more interested in different arts.  I enjoy the things I do, and I do like to share in hopes that others will get some fulfillment out of it too.  I never thought about it before from the view point of "my role in society" though. Feeling that I am perhaps a bit less inspiring than others, it certainly is some food for thought.  Thank you very much for raising the question.  smile  I know for my KIDS, I do feel I play an important role in appreciation of the arts and in teaching that ANYONE can enjoy participating in them... you don't have to be amazing, you just have to be feeding someone's soul.  If it feeds your own, then chances are it will also feed someone else's.  It is to be shared, not hoarded.  smile

I don't consider myself an artist in a talented sense. There are tons of people much more talented than myself. Some are right here on Chordie, that I would call artists. I'm not the best singer or player. But my music comes from my soul or spirit, from somewhere deep within myself. It's something that I just do. When I play for people, I feel I'm sharing more of myself or spirit than talent as an artist. Even playing for myself, I can just get lost for awhile in music. It's the best therapy in life that I have. So if someone should happen to enjoy the experience of music with me, cool. But I'm no artist.

This whole art/artist thing has been a conundrum I've contemplated for years.  To me, "art" is the creation of something new that has an aesthetic quality (for lack of a better term) and an "artist" is the person who is the creator of such art. To me, a painter who creates a new painting (regardless of quality) is an artist whereas someone who copies the painting is a "replicator" regardless of their painting skills, since they did not produce anything new or different.  Songwriters are creators of new art.  I consider songwriters who perform their own songs as "performing artists" whereas those that perform songs written by someone else are "performers".  A gray area exists when the "performer" takes a song from someone else and makes changes to it to create something different than the original. 

I do not mean to denigrate those who learn and play songs written by others - in fact many times the "artist" who created a song does not have the necessary skills as a performer to display their art in public and relies on skilled "performers" to do it.  How do my fellow chordians define an "artist" as related to music or to sculpting, painting, dance, acting etc?

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

If it's up to me, the role of an artist is to do what they feel is right, or what they enjoy.  If I ever feel compelled to do a song a specific way or play a specific style because it is required, then it just became work.  I don't feel much obligation to  others.  My playing and singing is for me, and if others get a kick out of it then that's great.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

If it's up to me, the role of an artist is to do what they feel is right, or what they enjoy.  If I ever feel compelled to do a song a specific way or play a specific style because it is required, then it just became work.  I don't feel much obligation to  others.  My playing and singing is for me, and if others get a kick out of it then that's great.

Having known you for years Zurf, I consider you a competent musician and respect your opinions.  Like most of us, you play for your own enjoyment.  Do you think of yourself as an artist? A performer?  Or something else? What defines what we do? 

In my opinion, the role of an artist is creation of art. Doing what they feel is right or what they enjoy can affect their artistic creations just as negative emotions can also have an effect, but the bottom line is they feel the need to create something which did not formerly exist, whether it be a painting, sculpture, music, poetry, or whatever medium they work in.

Am I over-thinking this whole "artist" thing?

DE

I don't really think of myself. For a time, I gave up making music and I didn't like it. I got back to playing and joined a band. Call me a knucklehead or worse, but I just didn't have time for the various personalities - walking on eggshells all the time. So then I stated with guitar to make music without others. I still love playing with others when it's an organic, let's see what we can do, oh hey that sounds really cool! kind of thing.  I think what that makes me is a middle aged desk jockey looking for a good clean fun way to blow off steam, and not a performer or artist or musician. If I could write a dang song or five, I might consider myself artistic or creative and having a role in the arts.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Not an artist either. My job is to do what makes me happy. And that is to play and learn more songs and techniques. And to play and sing for anyone who will listen, expanding my happiness even further.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

selso wrote:

Glad to see we're all kinda on the same page on this though I think you guys sell yourselves short by not considering yourselves artists.

All the media calls musicans  Recording Artist's

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I also agree - do it for yourself and if others appreciate it, then you  are an artiste and artist - you paint the pictures that mean something to you, you tell the story of the picture (from your perspective) through the music and lyrics. It's why we all gravitate to songwriting on chordie - we share our stories.

This is a site of an interview by Butch Walker - talking about his song entitled    21+over   It is an awesome song - but his explanation in the interview before he plays it is awesome - just what many of you were saying here.

the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHDNmtK6w8

He has a new album called afraid of ghosts - its really good.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

I also agree - do it for yourself and if others appreciate it, then you  are an artiste and artist - you paint the pictures that mean something to you, you tell the story of the picture (from your perspective) through the music and lyrics. It's why we all gravitate to songwriting on chordie - we share our stories.

This is a site of an interview by Butch Walker - talking about his song entitled    21+over   It is an awesome song - but his explanation in the interview before he plays it is awesome - just what many of you were saying here.

the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHDNmtK6w8

He has a new album called afraid of ghosts - its really good.

Wow... Thanks Jim!  That was pretty awesome, and the talking points in the beginning are spot on too.  Nice!

I think artists' role in society is two fold. First, it is to entertain, give people a break from whatever is occupying their mind. Second, is to make people think although there is a lot of fluff out there that is not worth thinking about. Bottom line - An artist's role in society is to entertain and make people think while they are being entertained.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Here's an interesting interview with Doyle Dykes - an artist by any definition, about playing guitar. Note that he thinks those that play should share their "gift" with others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wEI822BXBs

DE