Topic: open that DOOR

I love the Doors, watched also 3 times the "OLIVER STONE" movie about the doors, and I really don't know much about them.
I just know the sad things, like the circumstances of the dead of Jim Morisson, and the fact that his body rests forever on the FAMOUS "PERE LA CHAISE" cemetery in Paris.
His grave looks very big on television, but it is a very small plot. Easy to spot, because of all the flowers and letters.
Remebering him as he started NOT BEING GAY!!!!, I found him a real beautiful young man. It's a shame that only a few years later he was very fat, and having that beard.
I think that he was a very shy performer, first gigs with his back to the audience, and like it is almost always: easy prey for sharks, giving and selling him drugs, and you do feel better, in an artificial way.
Did it start, his problems, after their first big hit: Common baby light my fire, still a pearl of a song, but written by KRIEGER (credits : the Doors), and without Jim, adding the fact that this was their biggest commercial hit?
I read also that most of the songs were written by Krieger and Morisson.
1 interesting thing: compare the KINK's song "all day and all night" with Hello, I love you" Doors song: almost identical.
Jim became a super star, because of his cloths (leather trousers) and was a magnet being a (unwanted?) sex symbol, using more and more bad stuff, his provocation and knowing that he was very attractive, but becoming a shadow of himself, starting the same time as the troubles with the authorities, he faced trial and moved to Paris, where he died. Starting again the rumours, that he "faked" his death.
I am knowing more than I thought, but help me to complete this, by writing stories about him.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: open that DOOR

Sorry.  I have little respect for the man as lyricist, as poet, as musician, or as a human being.  To me, he was a flash in the pan.  He got high, lost control of his senses and waggled his thang at an audience, then ran away from the repurcussions of his actions.  After running away, he drank himself to death.  There's little for me to respect in that story.  I sympathize with him, but as far as I'm concerned, The Doors is all about Ray Mizerak's brilliance as a musician.  Any pretty boy could have played the part of the drunk would-be poet at the front.  It was Ray Mizerak's arrangements and skill that carried the band to stardom, and his humility that Ray Mizerak himself deflects all complements to Jim Morrison.  That's something I can respect. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have tried for many years to like The Doors and as yet have not managed it successfully. I find it hard to spot the brilliance in any part of what they did. Although I do have to admit to not knowing very much.

I seem to like parts of songs but cannot listen to them in there entirety. Maybe the brilliance is just beyond me or I'd have been more into it had I been there at the time (I'm only 40).

I also find it hard to sympathise with performers who have gone the same way. I am a huge fan of Hendrix and also Thin Lizzy but it just makes me angry that Jimi and Phil Lynott waisted such a gift.

Sorry if I've side tracked a bit.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I like the doors.
I think Jim Morrison was a superb lyricist.

I dont think the band were the best thing on the earth at the time though, not superstars through their music in my eyes, more superstars because of Jim Morrisons antics on ad off stage.

it is sad for any musician to die early but they really have no one but themselves to blame (unless it was a car accident or plane crash). Same as any drug user or drinker just now, even if they are not famou. Everyone knows the risks, still lots carry on, just like Jim did.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I use to listen to the doors but then the Los Angeles radio market started to play them & the beatles too, too, much to the tune of at least 4 songs an hour of each. Need less to say I got burnt out so now I do not listen to them.

Bootlegger.

In fact, I am no Doors lover too. It is again the same old story, music was like mentionned above the privilege of MANZAREK and KRIEGER. I really doubt, with that kind of music, if they should be as popular as now. They still sell 1.000.000 albums a year. I want to ask, and I think that "pretty boy" Jim put the doors on the music map, because the way he performed, and sometimes in a really disgusting way, that just because of his behaviour the Doors became BIG, and like always, dead people sell more records than living people. Is or was he a great poet? I don't know, but I do agree that his lyrics where quit great. Not like, I love you, I need you.
Bringing me always back to the point, what is the most important for a group? the "melody" or the "lyrics"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]