Topic: Songwriters question - How do you remember music that's in your head?

Let me explain what I mean. At odd times and places i will think of a song idea. If the idea is lyrics or an general idea for a song I'll usually just jot it down in a notebook I carry, but if the idea is a musical idea I had been struggling with how to keep from losing the music. Here is what I finally ended up doing. I'll call myself up on my cell or home phone and leave myself a voice mail of me humming the music as close as possible what I'm thinking. I have to do it then or I get end up with music that is not quite the original idea. So far it's working pretty good for me. Does anybody else have a trick like that to help them remember music?

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Songwriters question - How do you remember music that's in your head?

You're going to think I'm an absolute nutter now ...

When I was a kid, I used think of tunes being played by a very loud miltary type band, with a large brass section, they always stuck in my head that way.

Don't know why, I'm pretty much what you would call a pacifist, so the army has no particular interest for me.

cheers

David

Hi Jets.

I get this too, what Ido is use my mobile phone, the record part of it and tape myself either singing a few words or humming a part of music which I tihnk will make a good song or part of a song.

If your mobile has no record facility on it, try phoning home and telling the person to leave it next time you ring and hum/sing into your answering machine ( if you have one)
failing all that just keep singing or humming constantly until you get home. If you are sick of it by the time you get home then it was not to be.

Ken

p.s. I have never actually phoned home to leave a message as a new idea. I just thought of that there, but what a damn good idea. lol

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

That is the reason I posted a topic about a small device you stick on a guitar, because when playing a real great lick, or solo, but when you try it 10 minutes later: it's gone. I love the cellular phone option, never heard of it.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]