Topic: Sounds?

Hi
I’m sat here messing around with a song I wrote. Playing the chords tinkering with the melody trying to get it sound and feel right to me.

Then strange thought occurred to me.

Namely do other people hear the same as me. What I mean is are the sounds I hear the same for everyone.

We are all built the same. I know nearly everyone enjoys music can tell a good tune. most people can tell when something is off key. But is it the same good tune as me.

Is it unanswerable question.

Regards
Ark

Re: Sounds?

That's an interesting question, I've wondered about that before. I'd look to into it if weren't for these two reasons:

*It's too hard to find out things like that

*I'm fairly lazy

But in a different type of way, we hear things differently.
That's why some people like metal roll

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

I looked at a similar problem, studying philosophy many years ago, concerning colour perception. We all recieve the same information, i.e. light waves of different frequencies or colours.

But, it is our eyes and brains that process that information, and presumably you could argue that people with varying degrees of colour blindness actually see the world differently.

So, if musical notes vary by frequency, could our brains have analogous problems with such frequencies.

I think I'm probably talking complete bollocks here smile

Interesting question arkady . . .
I think we all recieve the same stimuli, but have a unique interpretation of it -

I have always wondered why certain rhythms 'feel' the way they do - what is it about 3/4 or 6/8 time that makes them feel so different than 4/4 or 2/4?

Is it a matter of conditioning or do these patterns of pulses connect to some fundamentally different primal elements within our brains?

Likewise, why do major and minor chords convey such different feels?
Why do particular sets of intervals (chords) seem to 'fit' with others?

In the Western cultures, we are conditioned to expect music to use our chromatic (1/2 steps between notes) scales.  Other cultures (Middle Eastern, some Asian) use quarter-tone scales which seem very odd to our ears.

I think what all these questions are getting at is "Why is music appealing to human beings?"  Why do we seem to need it or want it?

All interesting stuff to ponder . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

If you want more information about "artistic perceptions" there is scientific proof of this" the human brain has 2 hemispheres, containing  every information. They start to put the human brain on a map and everything is controlled in your brain, if you touch for example, a hot item, it goes up to that centre, in your brain, responsible for heath and cold perception, the response or reaction goes immediately to your hand, telling it is too hot, so you will drop that hot item. It all happens in a split second. There is also a centre responsible for the artistic part, another: see, hear, behaviour. It is very interesting stuff, and easy to find on google.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]