Topic: Pa. Gathering

It's not set in stone yet but it's looking like a gathering of musically inclined folks will be getting together at my camp in the mountains of South Central Pa in October; probably the 2nd or 3rd weekend. The weather should be cool and comfortable and we will be well into fall foliage season. I have access to a very large pavilion if autumn rains should try to spoil things. It's still tentative at this point but I'll know for sure in a couple weeks. Just wanted to put it out here as early as possible in case anyone is interested in making a trip to Pa.

Re: Pa. Gathering

I'm interested in making a trip to Pennsylvania.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sounds like a great time.mkm and I are interested.

I am intersted but so far away and my be going into a meltdown mode from all this heat!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

I am intersted but so far away and my be going into a meltdown mode from all this heat!!

Yep. That's a long haul for you. However......... Cool, crisp October nights beside a campfire and Shermans Creek about 50yds away could be just the right medicine to help in your recovery from a scalding, drought ravaged summer. smile

Hmmm, interesting! Where is the nearest international airport to you, ujb?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

unclejoesband wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Yep. That's a long haul for you. However......... Cool, crisp October nights beside a campfire and Shermans Creek about 50yds away could be just the right medicine to help in your recovery from a scalding, drought ravaged summer. smile

YA  but I just found out that I am going too have to split the cost on fixing my fence with my neighbor,so there goes my transportation costs,I have a large back yard!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

normtheguitar wrote:

Hmmm, interesting! Where is the nearest international airport to you, ujb?

That's a tricky question to answer.

The closest airport is called Harrisburg Intl. But the only direct, non-stop, international flights I know of are to and from Canada. I just did a quick check on flights from London to Harrisburg for the 2nd weekend in October. From London you would go to Chicago first and then to Hbg. The total trip time was  11hrs 38min.

The closest real Intl airport is Philadelphia. Its about 2.5 hours from here. And that can vary depending on the time of day you would arrive. There's this 25 mile stretch of 8 lane highway leading in and out of Philly called the Schuylkill Expressway. Locally it's know as the "Surekill" but it's not really that bad. However, during morning and evening rush hour there is no rushing involved. It moves along at 15-20 mph so that 2.5hr trip could easily stretch into 4-6. Not trying to discourage you. Just laying out the realities. roll

Washington DC and New York are a little over 3 hours from me and they both have true Intl airports but I'm sure you already know that. smile

Paul - Lets coordinate. This is just a couple hours' drive from my house. If timing works out, you can fly into Dulles and I can drive us both to the event.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Reagan International and BWI are also possibilities. Dulles is easiest, BWI next, and Reagan least, but all doable if any one of them results in significant airfare or convenience savings on the other end.

Anywhere near Altoona?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Anywhere near Altoona?

About 2 hours but there is no simple, direct route. You can go down to the Pa. Turnpike then back up Pa. 75 or take the back roads which go up and down over several mountains with many "switchbacks".

Use your favorite map program. With Altoona as your starting point, type in Blain as your destination.

You can't go west to east or east to west in Pennsylvania.    :-)

Zurf wrote:

You can't go west to east or east to west in Pennsylvania.    :-)

As odd as that sounds, it's a pretty accurate. There are only 2 main roads that traverse the entire width of Pa. I-80 in the north and I-76(Pa Turnpike) in the south. The mountains really break things up.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Anywhere near Altoona?

Nothing is near Altoona.

Well.  Maybe Bedford.  But what's near Bedford?  Just Altoona.  And frankly, they aren't that close.

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Anywhere near Altoona?

Nothing is near Altoona.

lol lol lol

dino48 wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:
dino48 wrote:

YA  but I just found out that I am going too have to split the cost on fixing my fence with my neighbor,so there goes my transportation costs,I have a large back yard!

I shouldn't do this but I'm going to anyway. smile

Here is that nice cool, wet creek I'm talking about.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv35933%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D383542%3B694349nu0mrj

Thanks for the info, ujb - somehow, I didn't think it would be simple! Perhaps I could hitch a lift with Zurf?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

unclejoesband wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Anywhere near Altoona?

Nothing is near Altoona.

lol lol lol

dino48 wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:

I shouldn't do this but I'm going to anyway. smile

Here is that nice cool, wet creek I'm talking about.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7 … 4349nu0mrj

ugb Now you are adding great pics like that one Ouch big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan Zurf! Will do some research...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Anywhere near Altoona?

Nothing is near Altoona.

Well.  Maybe Bedford.  But what's near Bedford?  Just Altoona.  And frankly, they aren't that close.

Lilly is near Altoona. State College is near Altoona.

I suppose one needs to define "near."

21 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-06-17 21:15:03)

dino48 wrote:

Now you are adding great pics like that one Ouch big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah. That was pretty mean but I had this devilish moment that needed an outlet. smile

In fact, that little devil is at it again. Here's the camp. On the far right side you can see a horizontal line where the gravel area stops. That's the creek.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv383%3A6%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D383542%3B692349nu0mrj

22 (edited by dino48 2015-06-18 00:19:36)

Insult too injury!!!! Evil One!!

Baldguitardude wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Baldguitardude wrote:

Anywhere near Altoona?

Nothing is near Altoona.

Lilly is near Altoona. State College is near Altoona.

I suppose one needs to define "near."

I know of no definition of near that includes State College and Altoona. They aren't even in the same century.

Zurf wrote:

I know of no definition of near that includes State College and Altoona. They aren't even in the same century.

Pretty tough on that poor ole town. smile

Hmmm... October... will the "mountains" between here and there be covered in the white stuff by then? Driving through PA is always the worst part of the trip when heading south in the winter months.  We'll have to think about it.  Keep us posted!  It's totally doable!  I'm guessing the drive down there doesn't get bad until late November when we start seeing a little of the stuff here.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.