1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-07 15:40:44)

Topic: Your All-Star Dream Band

I thought this could be fun ...

If you could put together a 5-piece "dream team" ensemble of your favorite musicians, who would they be? Here would be my line up (with their most notable groups) if it was possible to have them all in their prime:

Drums:   Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)
Bass:     Tony Levin (King Crimson)
Guitar:   Steve Hackett (Genesis)
Keys:     Rick Wakeman (Yes)
Vocals:   Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

Hope a lot of you submit your dream team ... should be real interesting.

Re: Your All-Star Dream Band

I was going to start my "dream team" with Tony Rice on guitar and Jerry Douglas on dobro but decided to go with musicians who are known for playing a variety of instruments and adding to the vocals since we're limited to a 5-piece band. Also, most are songwriters.

Alison Kraus -vocals/fiddle/piano, mando
Bela Fleck - banjo/guitar/dobro/mando/piano
Tim Obrien - vocals/guitar/fiddle/mando/banjo
Sam Bush - vocals/mando/fiddle/banjo/guitar
Edgar Meyer - bass

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-03-07 19:50:40)

Hmm. That's a tough one, TF...

Chet Atkins----- Strings

Jako Pastorius ------- Bass

Mark Knopfler ------ Strings (Rhythm when the "Maestro's" on lead); voice

Keith Emerson ----- Keyboards; voice

Carl Palmer ------ Percussion/Drums      (This was a tossup between Palmer and the guy who plays for Rush.)

I know those are some very divergent tastes, aren't they, y'all? But those are the best in my opinion at their craft.

Thanks and very nice thread, TF! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-03-07 19:57:50)

Danny Gatton gets honorable mention, but only because he's real short of breath.

Dead, in other words.

Bill

ETA: I just noticed I put Chet on that list and he's passed as well. but are we limited to live people? Anyway, I still would have put Atkins in first place. wink

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-08 13:25:15)

That's a great team SB Bill.

This is an imaginary scenario, so deceased or otherwise doesn't matter, and most singers lose some range as they age. I wouldn't want Ian Gillan's voice today, but in the 70's? Amazing! My second choice bassist would be the late John Glascock (Jethro Tull) who passed away in 1979. I agree that Carl Palmer is one of the best drummers alive, and Neil Peart (Rush) would also be a solid choice. Chet & Mark together were brilliant! No doubt you've heard their 1990 CD "Neck and Neck". Excellent stuff!

DE ...

I remember hearing Sam Bush on a couple of Dave Grisman's albums years ago, also featuring the amazing Tony Rice. I seem to recall that Bush had/has great chops on both bass and mandolin ... terrific choice!

The Band...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-12 10:06:53)

Terrific group, Badeye!

"The Band" were one of many groups where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. My fav (Jethro Tull) didn't have any musicians who I would say were at the top of the heap talent-wise. But together ... wow! Pink Floyd is another example.

Vocals - Freddie Mercury (Queen)
Guitar - Lou Reed (Velvet Underground)
Bass - John Entwistle (The Who)
Drums - Buddy Rich
And tickling the ivories is none other than Randy Newman - and that was a tough last choice.

badeye wrote:

The Band...

badeye   cool

good choice for me or Dire straites with Eric clapton on board also. Lets not forget RUSSELL HARDING our alien moderator!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Bass- John Entwhistle
Drums- Kieth Moon
Vocals Roger Daltry
Guitar-Pete Townshend
Or maybe just The Who

the chordie geordie