Topic: learning key of a song

Hey guys,
I'm trying to learn how to find the key in which a song was recorded. I started with "the way it is by lucky Dube" Can someone help me find the key in which this song was recorded?

Re: learning key of a song

The song is in A major there are only three chords it starts in A////|////|////|E////| and repeats till the chorus D////|A////|////|E//// this repeats each time "that's the wayyyyyyyyyy it is" is sung then back to the 1st part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPY0Seo-dWA

Note: the rhythms are raga so the chords sometimes change before the melody as in most songs and the chords listed above are only a guideline not the arrangement I like this song feels very Bob Marley like. I played along to it and have decided to learn it thanks for pointing me to it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by asmuk1988 2015-07-09 00:40:43)

Thanks very much dude i really appreciate your efforts. What do you think could be the best way to learn keys of songs especially to a junior learner like me. Besides I'm using a piano not a guitar and I don't know whether this is also hindering my learning process.

The best way is use your ears listen to the vocal and find a note that is common with it usual keys for most male artists are E A D G so one of those notes on your piano is at the beginning when the vocal starts, this is the root or key, In E the three main chords are E A B (or 1 4 5) in the key of A it is A D E  in D it is D G A and in G it is G C D this is built on the major scale which is a 8 tone arrangement of notes the easiest way to understand this is using the key of C major it has no sharps or flats. The notes in the C major scale are C D E F G A B C it follows the alphabet  as do all major scales which are built on intervals (distance between notes) these are also called steps, 1 4 5 in C is C F G this is the formula 1 1   1/2  1 1 1  1/2 or whole step whole step half step whole step whole step whole step half step there are many sources for piano that show the names of the notes for both black and white keys and C is in the middle. basic theory is VERY helpful to understanding the chords for any song. Another way to express the steps in a key is WW H WWW H or WENDY WITCH HAS WILD WONDERFUL WAVY HAIR the W stands for whole step and the H for half step. this is basic theory.

"Growing old is not for sissies"