1 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-06-22 00:25:56)

Topic: Met A Couple Folks

Had my first get together with a couple Chordians outside of cyberspace yesterday.

Zurf and Topdown spent a few days at a campground this weekend and I joined them on Saturday afternoon. They were out when I arrived so I set up my tent and sat down with my guitar to wait. A couple hours later they rolled in wondering who the heck was sitting in their campsite; since we'd never actually met. Had some friendly hello's and nice to meet you's. One of Zurf's local friends got the campfire going, we set up chairs around it, and started pickin. I think we made it twice around the circle when it started to sprinkle. We decided to move things into Zurf's camper before the rain got too heavy. Turned out to be a VERY wise move because we weren't inside for more than 10 minutes when "Bill" hit with a vengeance. Heavy rain with tropical storm winds were soon pummeling us. The wind tore the awning off Zurf's camper and broke a few tree limbs, one of which fell on Topdown's rental car putting a dent in the top of the quarter panel and breaking a tail light. ( How did the rental company take it TD?)

But we played on, ignoring the raging storm outside. Topdown called it a night around 12:30 and was sleeping before his head hit the pillow. But Zurf and I played a little longer with Topdown snoring, out of key I might add((sorry TD, I had to smile ), just a few feet away. I guess it was in the 1:00-1:30 area when we called it a night. Everyone was up by 7:00 this morning and picking up the pieces.

All things considered we had a really good time and I look forward to meeting more Chordians later this year; hopefully without a tropical storm intruding. smile

UncleJoe

Here's a few pics.

Our happy little weekend home not long after I arrived and got set up.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv37657%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3835966%3A%3B4349nu0mrj

Assessing the damage during a brief lull in the storm.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3993%3A%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3835966%3A%3B8349nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv374%3C3%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3835966%3A%3B9349nu0mrj

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B277%3Enu%3D4%3A64%3E6%3B%3B%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3835966%3A%3B6349nu0mrj

2 (edited by dino48 2015-06-22 00:49:26)

Re: Met A Couple Folks

glad you all got toghter sounds like you had a good time. I am so glad that was not topdowns mustang!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Wish I could have been there.  Sounds like a good time was had by all. 

Did the rain keep a steady beat?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

4 (edited by topdown 2015-06-22 01:05:44)

Great meeting you Joe - you fit right in with all the other chordians I've met, a great group of folks. I really enjoyed your playing and company.

When I checked the car in, the guy didn't even notice the damage. Being the honest guy I am, I pointed it out to him. He wrote up a little ticket and I imagine I will be dealing with my CC co or insurance co in the near future.

Good drinks (than you Zurf for the wine tour), good food, good music, good friends - one fallen tree limb. Overall a great weekend!

See you at chordiestock IV  !!

ETA - I snore in the key of E sharp - next time plan your songs around it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

ETA - I snore in the key of E sharp - next time plan your songs around it.

lol lol lol

Apart from the storm it looks, and sounds, as though you had a great time. It is really great meeting people face to face that you have known only through cyberspace, as I found out in March.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It was a delight meeting Uncle Joe, and also Roger a few months back, and also Mekidsmom and Mekidsdad and Normtheguitar a few years before that.  I already knew Dirty Ed from riverbank campfires - where he is legendary.  Seriously - I've been at campfires where folks were discussing their whitewater and fishing days, and always someone would talk about "that one guy" - someone else would say - "Do you mean Ken?" - "No, this guy's name was Ed... Dirty Ed."  "Yeah man!  That's Ken!"   It's happened to me more than once.  And of course meeting Topdawgz at Chordiestock as well, who was also on this trip and was just a little too gracious opening his traveling bar to my thirst this past weekend.  Sadly, he succumbed to a flu bug and had to miss out on some real fine picking on Saturday night. 

I'll say this for Topdown, his snoring was off-key, but he keeps a steady beat! 

Uncle Joe is a very good picker.  He played some beautiful tunes I'd not heard before.  Mostly they were written in whole or in part by Jerry Garcia.

Edit to add: I pulled out my 12 string tonight to strum a few tunes while the chicken was on the grill.  First strum and one of the G strings busted.  We did a LOT of picking over the weekend.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm glad to hear a few of you had a good time, despite the weather!  smile  I hope your tent held up better than Zurf's awning, with you in it UJB!  I recall camping in a particularly nasty storm with the hubster one year.  We were good, but our friends gave up on us and went to a motel in the middle of the night.  Tent stakes, waterproofing, tarps, and blow up mattresses make a huge difference to staying dry sometimes.  wink  That's a good story for another day though.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Dirty Ed wrote:

Wish I could have been there.  Sounds like a good time was had by all. 

DE

I played Rich Kid Doctor for Robert (Topdawgz) and Topdown and I did a duet on Small Medium at Large for Uncle Joe, with proper credit of course.  Were your ears burning?  Or palm itching?  Or foot twitching?

Whatever was itching, burning, or twitching, you were there in spirit.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

mekidsmom wrote:

I'm glad to hear a few of you had a good time, despite the weather!  smile  I hope your tent held up better than Zurf's awning, with you in it UJB!  I recall camping in a particularly nasty storm with the hubster one year.  We were good, but our friends gave up on us and went to a motel in the middle of the night.  Tent stakes, waterproofing, tarps, and blow up mattresses make a huge difference to staying dry sometimes.  wink  That's a good story for another day though.

There's a story behind my tent too.

Early last week we had a few potent storms blow through here. One of them picked up a piece of metal roofing destined for the chicken coop. It sliced right through my tent which I had set up to air out for this weekend. I went out a bought a new one on Thursday but didn't get a chance to set it up. So it was set up for the first time right where you see it. It stood there, staked down of course, right through the storm and didn't have a single drop of water in it until I opened it up and water ran off the door on to the floor. I was impressed.

Glad you had such a good time, ujb! No doubt about it - Chordians are a great bunch of people!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic