Topic: SCAM??

A couple days ago I got the email below.  I've never posted any of my songs on the net and don't have a website for my music, although several of my songs have been recorded by others while playing at open mics, etc and ended up on youtube.  So how did they find me?  I'm sure you Chordians that put your music out on the web have probably run into this before.  Is this deal legit or some sort of scam? I don't plan on submitting anything.  I figure anyone that claims to represent "top emerging musicians around the world" wouldn't be sending emails to yokels like me, so what is the scam?  Do they try to get you to pay for their "services" ?

DE

SRL Networks A&R Dept.
        Jun 24 at 1:02 PM
To
        williskh_2000@yahoo.com

Good day,

I found some of your music profiles online, and hope it's alright to contact you this way.

I'm an A&R representative at SRL Networks in London, an artist relations company representing top emerging musicians around the world. We are looking for new music for our radio network, music licensing catalog and artist promotion/development roster, and I was wondering if you would be interested in sending us some music for consideration.

Subject to a successful review, SRL Networks will get your music heard by entertainment industry professionals and fans all over the world, and help facilitate music licensing and distribution deals, live events bookings, record label/music publisher deals and more. You will receive a detailed agreement once your music is accepted.

You can find out more about us at Backstage.SkunkRadioLive.com

To submit music, send your best track in mp3 format, a professional photo and a link to your website to playlists@SkunkRadioLive.com. You can also include a short recorded message to introduce yourself to Skunk Radio Live's listeners. Alternatively, you can upload a video introducing yourself and performing your best track to YouTube and send us a link.

CONNECT with us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to keep up-to-date with what's hot on independent music scenes around the world.

--
Kind regards,
Steve

SRL Networks London Ltd | T: 020 3286 0210 | E: studio@srlnetworks.com

SRL.                   Facebook                       Twitter                       YouTube

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: SCAM??

My opinion ... scam.  Reason: Referring to you by your e-mail address rather than by your name or stage name. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

My opinion ... scam.  Reason: Referring to you by your e-mail address rather than by your name or stage name. 

- Zurf

I totally think its a scam!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I would have to agree with Zurf. "Steve" is phishing with dull hooks.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

The other thing that struck me was the signature was just a first name instead of a full name with contact info.  Pretty poorly thought-out scam IMHO.

DE

7 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-07-01 12:32:29)

Subject to a successful review, SRL Networks will get your music heard by entertainment industry professionals and fans all over the world, and help facilitate music licensing and distribution deals, live events bookings, record label/music publisher deals and more. You will receive a detailed agreement once your music is accepted.

"Subject to a successful review and totally NOT a fee of a hundred bucks or anything " is how that stuff usually goes.

You might take a look at their facebook page to get more of an idea, but like the others, my initial reaction is to walk and don't look back.

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

With Zurf on this one. Foggetaboutit! smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

As I said earlier, I have no intentions of submitting any songs for their consideration. (In fact, even if I thought it was a legit enterprise I wouldn't submit any songs as I've never wanted to put up with the hassle involved dealing with a promotional company) What I'm curious about is if any other Chordians have ever been sent the same type email.

DE

10 (edited by Phill Williams 2015-07-02 22:20:27)

FYO, i checked out their name on the interweb and it appears they are a true company! there is a skunk radio and they do do promotion of new and emerging artistes. i checked them and they are on linkedin (like most of us) and they have a web site, but that means nothing. you could be losing a great opportunity here or it could be someone using their name for a scam. don't send your best track, as they ask, but send something and if they ask for money...get out of dodge.

try the "FREE COMPANIES CHECK" if you want to check them. nothing ventured nothing gained or lost

and no they haven't been in touch with me

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Nope, never got an email like that before.  If I did, I'd agree with the rest.  They need more info and personalization in their initial contact email.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hello,
I saw this post and even though it's about a year old, I just got the same exact email just about an hour ago, so instead of hammering with questions and assuming they are a scam, I replied with this below: (oh and I always ask them which song they liked the best, because that always separates the scammers from the legit people) let me know your thoughts and thanks for the post.

Hello Steve,

I appreciate you checking out my music. I would like to submit 1 song for Promotion consideration, and based on your views of my music, which song in particular caught your interest? That would be the one I can submit. Also, I noticed that there was no disclosure of any fees for this. Is there a fee, and if so, what exactly does this fee cover? I appreciate your time and consideration on this subject.

Sincerely,

Jason Glenn

On Nov 2, 2016, at 3:26 AM, (link deleted - RG) wrote:

Good day,

I discovered some of your independent music projects online, and hope it's alright to contact you this way.

I'm an A&R representative at SRL Networks in London, an artist relations company representing independent musicians and labels around the world. We are looking for new music for our radio network, music licensing catalog and artist promotion roster, and I'd like to invite you to audition.

Subject to a successful audition, SRL Networks will get your independent releases heard by entertainment industry professionals and fans around the world, and help facilitate music licensing and distribution deals, live events bookings, record label and music publisher deals and more. You will receive a detailed agreement once your audition has been successful.

You can find out more about us at (link deleted - RG) and find out how to submit music and obtain your audition ticket at (link deleted - RG)

Please do get in touch, it would be a pleasure to hear from you.

--
Kind regards,
Steve M

General Manager

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us if possible. Thank you.

Moderator note: All links, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses have been removed from this post - RG

Scam even if it is a company!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Someone's definitely cooking kippers ( that's the smelliest fish could think of) put the post into your bin and forget it.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

We audition for each other every day and get rave reviews. Why pay for it? smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

ABSOLUTE SCAM

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I get those sort of scam emails often on soundcloud. I suspect they are sent out by a automated computerised scam set up. I also received on soundcloud email computer  generated invites to deviant sort of  sex stuff.  I just disregard it.