Topic: Band Formation

I am desperately trying to form a band comprising of people of any age (I am 63) or level who would like o perform COUNTRY style music in and around the RIPLEY area in Derbyshire
Songs recorded by JOHN DENVER will be the cornerstone of the band, however opportunities to perform classic country or your own songs will be encouraged
Players of any instrument are welcome..
you can txt me on 07714 322 174
Please note... if you are under 16 years of age, I would need to speak with your parent before joining
Thanks, Bruce

GIVEN A CHANCE TO DREAM... IT CAN BE DONE

Re: Band Formation

Daddycool is in your locality, he has not been around so much lately so I will P.M. him to see if he is interested.

Welcome to Chordie,

Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank you, much appreciated.... Bruce

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-03 17:23:24)

I could double on either drums or easy rhythm, but unfortunately, I'm in Georgia, USA, Bruce.

I do wish you better luck than I have had re-forming a band, though.

My music room has everything needed. No one need bring a thing but their instrument, and not even that if they don't happen to have one. I have my drums, 2 guitars, 2 basses, 3 amps, keyboard and a mic (loaned out at present). Ads were placed in the local fish-wrap, but only one response from a 12 year old just learning guitar. I invited him over, but he never showed.

Being that I am 65 myself, I too miss the music -- which is why I am here -- If I can't play with a band, at least I can talk about it and learn to play better on my own from my friends here on Chordie. smile

Best of luck, let us know how it goes and welcome to the "family", Bruce. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

hi bruce, i'd love to get involved, i'm also 63 but i live in south wales and wish something of a similar nature would take place near by.

i've met a lot of people lately from derby on holiday and at a gig i did two weeks ago, lovely people. best of luck and welcome to chordie.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill if  you  remember   last  year  I  mentioned  the  idea  of   a  uk  chordie  fest , why not have  a  rethink  about  the  idea  then Bruce  can get  the  opportunity  to  play  in a  band  situation  albeit  for  one  day .I'm currently  putting  a  UK  band  together and  Im sure    the  guys  would be  happy  to  take  part  all though they  are  not  chordie members .I'm hoping  to be  able  to host   a  regular  open mic session at  the Victoria  Hall at  Settle   with  my lot  as  the  "house band ".We  had  agreed  on a  monthly  event  on a  friday  or  saturday  before  my illness . Having  spoken to  the  manageress   a  couple  of  weeks  ago   it  is  still  on the  cards  when I am deemed  fit  enough   by the   hospital .This  would  be  an opportunity  for  people to  play in a  real  theatre  with a  proper  sound  system.

hi grah, we are going to brum at the end of august, maybe i can get over there for one night? it would be great to play with a band again.

phill

8 (edited by Grah1 2015-07-03 21:22:52)

I'll  keep every  one  posted   with  dates  as  to  when we  will  start  doing these  nights  then.

grah, i just google earthed settle and it seems a very long way from brum, that may be a problem...sorry

I would'nt mind a trip to sunny Settle one weekend Graham. Sounds a champion idea.

the chordie geordie

I have always wanted to see the U.K. its on my bucket list but my money bucket says no at this time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sounds great. I also wish I were closer. I love old country and John Denver style. I wish I were a little better and closer. Dino, you need to save for your Martin before you go off to England.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

Sounds great. I also wish I were closer. I love old country and John Denver style. I wish I were a little better and closer. Dino, you need to save for your Martin before you go off to England.

Martin always first to use my money on!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

14 (edited by keepitreal 2015-07-05 01:26:11)

Never a doubt. I live in Langley Mill and I am 62. Will be in touch. Just a brief history of Ripley. It was the birthplace of the industrial revolution.
Graham, Settle, I just love that train journey from Carlisle. Ok it is cold and wet, but well worth a visit.

Thick as two short planks

dino48 wrote:

I have always wanted to see the U.K. its on my bucket list but my money bucket says no at this time.

Dino, I know your saving for your Martin, but don't pass up a chance to visit the UK.  It's a beautiful country. My wife and I spent two wonderful weeks touring around the countryside. Everyone was so kind to us. Turned out to be the best vacation I ever had, we returned home feeling blessed.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Dino, I know your saving for your Martin, but don't pass up a chance to visit the UK.  It's a beautiful country. My wife and I spent two wonderful weeks touring around the countryside. Everyone was so kind to us. Turned out to be the best vacation I ever had, we returned home feeling blessed.

BJ thats one of the reasons I want too see it and also Ireland and Italy. My dad was all over there in world war two and said it was great in areas they had not destroyed.I have wanted a Martin D 28 and want too get it first.I am saving for now.

Thanks for replying to my e-mail N A D. Good luck with the project, let us know how you get on. And as your only a few miles away I look forward to meeting you someday.

Thick as two short planks

never a doubt wrote:

I am desperately trying to form a band comprising of people of any age (I am 63) or level who would like o perform COUNTRY style music in and around the RIPLEY area in Derbyshire
Songs recorded by JOHN DENVER will be the cornerstone of the band...
Thanks, Bruce

I have a coupla questions - initially for Bruce, but as it goes along, perhaps one of our other UK Chordiers/Chordites/Chordsmen/Chordulators/Chordists/Chordswomen/Chordutrons could answer...

Bruce: Why, specifically, John Denver? Is it that his music resonates with a certain period in your life? It's interesting to me that an Englishman would be so into the late Mr. Denver...

Speaking of Englishmen (this is open to the panel), Derbyshire is considered part of the Midlands, yeah? Wikipedia tells me it's Amber Valley, East Midlands. So, does that mean there's a West (...or North or South) Midlands? I mean, I get it that a resident of that area would not be considered a Northerner, at least not defined in the way I've come to learn it (Yorkshire, yes?)...

And, if the above is correct, where does Manchester fall into that scheme (Midlands/Northern)? I know that a Mancunian would be angry being called a "fookin' Scouser"...

FYI: Back to Ripley, Derbyshire (and the surrounding/nearby areas) - Johnny Marr (formerly the guitarist for the Smiths, in case anyone's been livng under a rock or in a cave the last 30 years…) will be playing live this Friday, the 10th, at Rescue Rooms in Nottingham (LINK) if yer interested...

I guess that's it - any replies are appreciated.

Good luck gettin' your band together, Bruce - and make sure that when you do, you post up some of the songs here!

P.S. - I cannot tell you how much the "preview" button is your friend big_smile Especially when using an iPad (as opposed to a desktop or laptop 'puter).

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

Cocktailsfor2:
Thank you for your message
I will try to answer your questions without the wrath of my homeland people

I first came across JD as a young boy listening to a tape in a "tape recorder" owned by an American Air Force Pilot... he left me the recorder and that tape when he returned to America... up to that point reel to reel was all I had ever seen, needless to say I played that tape over and over, and over and over... purely because there were no others to play..
As I grew older this JD guy was on the radio then on TV in England.. and I just loved his music
the rest is history really.. conservation, world peace etc... songs I related to and fitted my singing voice...

Derbyshire is indeed the centre of England.. the exact geographical centre being about 20 miles from my home in Ripley

Amber Valley is the area covered by the Borough Council, taking in four main Towns

Yes there are indeed areas notable by compass point... West towards Birmingham, East to Lincolnshire, North to Yorkshire

We in Derbyshire are by definition Midlanders by Northeners, and Northerners by Southerners... we have a wide variation in accent

I will go to Nottingham on the 10th  and

Manchester is more inland than Liverpool, they are linked by a large canal and good roads, good banter is had between them especially in areas of sport, when tribal would be a better description

Thank you once again
PS.. What is you location

20 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-07-06 22:12:58)

Bruce -

Thanks for the quick replies! I had a feeling that your John Denver love was attached to some youthful event, and the story of the Air Force pilot with the cassette deck was delightful! I wonder if most of us don't have similar reasons for some of our musical choices that would otherwise seem... "odd."

So, a Southerner would call you a Northerner and vice versa, eh?  Heh.
What would you say is the prevailing accent in Derbyshire / Ripley?

Cool that you're going to see Marr - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous - glad I could steer you (truth? Google steered me) toward the gig... of course, we'll expect a writeup of the evening afterward.

Me? I live in Richmond, California, which is across the Bay from San Francisco. We (the missus and the cat and I) moved here in October of last year from Chicago - me for the second time (I was raised [but not born] in Northern California), she (the wife) for her first (the cat? She lived with me in LA before we [the cat and I] moved to Chicago).

Phew.

RIP Bowie

I would be known as a "limey" back in the war years and you a "yank"
Mr Denver would have said about our cross channel communication "Far Out"
Not all English men are as mad as me... 
keep in touch
Bruce

never a doubt wrote:

... but I am, of course...... lol

Roger

23 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-07-08 12:51:29)

Roger Guppy wrote:
never a doubt wrote:

... but I am, of course...... lol

Roger

I thought we were taking that as a given, no?   http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6529.gif

RIP Bowie

http://www.picgifs.com/graphics/l/laughing/graphics-laughing-007111.gif

Roger I am loving the cat!!