Topic: How to practice?

How do y'all go about your practicing?

Me, I just sort of launch into strumming some songs.  Now, I know that a routine is far better for getting progress quickly, but I also want this to be fun and not work.  How do you folks keep it fun while improving your skills?

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: How to practice?

I think is helpful to have a realistic goal in mind for each practice session.  For instance, focus on one 'doable' thing - it might be something like getting better at transitioning smoothly from one chord to another.  Or, maybe playing along to a metronome to keep a steady beat.  Or, maybe a little lick that you want to hone.

Whatever it might be, your practice time should be focused on that one particular thing that you need to get better at doing.  Part of the practice process is prioritizing what you should do - consider several possible things and then pick which one you need to do the most.

After working on your focus (for as long as it takes), then you have time to goof around a bit and have some fun doing stuff you are already good at doing.  After goofing around for a while, return to the session's focus and work on that some more.

Practice every day.  Even if you don't have much time - pick up your instrument and let your muscles and mind remember how to do stuff.  Daily practice (with a focus) works wonders.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James pretty much summed up the important things.  The most important things are to have a practice goal, and practice every day.   

I also like to add technical exercises to my routine to help with hand strength and dexterity.   I'll run scales for an hour until my hand cramps.  I'll take a break, and then run scales some more.   This sounds like work, but I know that the payoff for it is me becoming a much better player, so its actually fun and rewarding.

These are some of my common practice goals and specific exercises I like to do.

Technical:  Scales and arpeggios.  Picking technique.  Hand stretch. 

Theoretical:  Learn a new key pattern.   Write a ditty in a specific key.   Find all of a particular note or chord on the fretboard.   Learn all of the chord voicings for a given chord.   Circle of Fifths.

Compositional:  Learn a new song.  Write a new song.  Practice common chord progressions.

And it's all fun.  Having an instrument in my hands makes me happy.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome,

One the scales, do you follow a particular regemin?  Do you work through chord patterns in a scale, go in order, do a pattern that has you get through the scale in every possible order?  Any books or site resources that may be useful for arpeggio and scale exercises? 

I will likely have no more than fifteen minutes a day or so to practice scales and such and still work on the songs I want to do to keep it fun.  However, fifteen minutes of concentrated efforts will probably make a big difference.  It'll be slower than an hour a day, but I'm not in a race.  Thanks for the advice. 

James,

Thanks.  I have been undisciplined in my approach to practice.  I'll need to add some discipline.  I like your idea of having small daily goals and will surely do that. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Jerome,

One the scales, do you follow a particular regemin?  Do you work through chord patterns in a scale, go in order, do a pattern that has you get through the scale in every possible order?  Any books or site resources that may be useful for arpeggio and scale exercises?

My long term goal is to play scales in circle of 5ths order.  That's pretty much the standard for any serious musician.  Short term, though, the answer is "it depends."

If I'm doing nothing but strengthening exercises, I'll simply play four fret spread patterns across the fretboard.

Put your index finger on any fret on the E string and viola.

From A, for example.

-----------------------------------5--8-----------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------5--8--------5--7-----
----------------------5--8---------------------5--7-----
----------------5--8----------------------------------5--7--
---------5--8-------------------------------------------------5-7--------------5--6-----------------
---5--8---------------------------------------------------------------5--7------------------------------

You get the idea.  The point here is to simply work the muscles in your hands, and the articulation in all of your fingers.  These are also good picking exercises, too.  You can barre and play these as well.   Play them until it hurts.

If I'm doing some theory or compositional work, then I'll play legitimate scales.   Last night I wrote a little riff in D minor.  So I made it a point to try to play Dm all over the fretboard, not just at the open position, but all the way down the neck.   Dm is also the natural minor for F major, so I practiced F major, and all it's modes as well.

I guess the one thing I advocate that I know is not popular is to not try to play songs until you have developed at least some coordination and strength in your hands.  When I picked up the guitar, I did so because I wanted to play the instrument as a whole.  I didn't just want to knock out other peoples tunes.   So for the first four months or so, I did nothing but chord progressions and those spread scales I put up above.  After that I incorporated songs into my routine, and now I pick up new songs easily, and can transpose without much effort.

You should develop a practice routine that works for you.  Setting goals is always a good first step.

Oh, one other thing.  This will help you practice every day.  Keep the guitar out of it's case.  Go buy a stand, and keep the guitar on the stand next to wherever you find yourself sitting at the end of your day.  It makes it super easy to pick it up for five or ten minutes worth of practice.  If it's in the case, it's a hassle to get out, and put away, so you're less inclined to do so.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zurf wrote:

Jerome,

Hey Zurf,

Somebody posted a link to this site a couple days ago and I've been looking through some of the stuff there.  I just found this lesson earlier today and thought you might like it.  It's only the minor pentatonic scale, but it could be applied to any scale.

http://www.justinguitar.com/html/beginn … Penta.html

I guess it depends on the style you're trying to play.  I've been getting into using arpeggios over jazz progressions, which means that you've got to keep track of what chord the backing is on and play the right arpeggio notes at the right time...

Check out my site: [url=http://www.guitaristhelp.net]Printable scale, chord, arpeggio, blank TAB and manuscript sheets for guitar and bass[/url]

Thanks to all for your help, and especially to Jerome for taking the time to type up such a thorough answer!

I do keep the guitar on a stand by my desk and play it a little at a time throughout the day, plus usually play for 1/2 hour to hour each night.  However, I have gotten to the point where I recognize the need for some discipline on putting theory into practice.  I'm certain that your exercise above will be well used as both picking practice and scale practice. 

- Big D

I use a magazine called guitar techniques: Makes you start to realise what massive task it is to learn to play guitar well...

Check out my site: [url=http://www.guitaristhelp.net]Printable scale, chord, arpeggio, blank TAB and manuscript sheets for guitar and bass[/url]