Re: Strummer Bill

Bill, I was going to ask why you have a cat named Bert who wears bras and pants, but I think this probably isn't  the correct site for this type of conversation.
Seriously Bill, my thoughts are with Dondra Jason and yourself.

Thick as two short planks

We're still hanging in there. My son and I swapped "watchman duties". Now he stays the night with his mother and I come home to do chores and sleep.

They changed the meds and tonight at midnight will be the first time she'll take one of them. The doc has to be careful prescribing it for home use, though. We've been getting by on just Medicare, but depending on the cost of the prescription, she may not be able to take it.

Plans are for her to come home tomorrow (Wednesday) if all goes well tonight. A lot of trouble starting a new IV today. Although she's not overweight, Dondra has veins that "roll" when they come in contact with the INT device (INT = Intermittent Needle Therapy), so they have to try, retry and try again. If you've ever gone through it (as I suspect our friend NELA has) you'll know that all that poking and jabbing hurts like hell. My girl is very stoic, however and tells the nurse not to apologize and "just do what you need to do".

It's still just the three of us in this thing, but I feel that this has brought my son and I much closer together. We had been "estranged" for a time and now that he's moved into the little apartment we fixed for him in our basement we're getting to know each other again, so something good is coming out of this, though we both wish it were happening in other ways.

About the "Laws" and "Inlaws": The so-called "family" of mine has worked out a system so that no one actually has to set foot in the hospital to see their sister and aunt. What they do is text either Dondra or Jason asking how things are and then the "appointed one" will relay the news to the others. What is so effing hilarious is the way those texts end: "Be sure to call us if she needs anything".

I want to write, "Yeah, how about a little one on one face time with your sister/aunt/cousin, you assholes?", but as you might surmise, She Who Must Be Obeyed won't let me do that.

Okay, so we're not the Waltons. Whose family is? But we are humane, or so I thought.

I know that each and every one of you would be here if it weren't for the miles separating us, but these people don't have that reason. It's to my wife's credit that she holds firmly to the epithet "two wrongs don't make a right" and is there for them with time and wheels whenever she's needed.

I'm very tired and just needed to blow off some steam. smile

Thanks, my family. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Wishing Dondra and yourself the best of luck today Bill, you deserve some.

Bill and Dondra

When you're all cried out, you've endured just about every pain imaginable to the soul and body, and you feel like all the strength in you has withered away to the point that quitting makes perfect sense......... but for some reason, you don't...............

it is then, that you know that the love you have for each other  is very real, you know that the friends that continue to support you  and offer hope as well as their prayers will always continue, and somehow you will find the courage and the path to overcome your sufferings, and to see the sunrise of another day and enjoy the love and happiness that ensues.

Wishing you and your wife  peace, strength, and love on the way to recovery.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

30 (edited by Cocktailsfor2 2015-07-22 11:58:35)

Bill,

Whyn't you write a song about alla this? [i]It's a helluva story

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

I'm thinking about you guys every day. Hang in there. Glad to hear about you and son. That's a good thing.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I recorded a few country/folk songs for Dondra, but don't know how to get them to her.  I'll try Dropbox.  Not sure how that works.  Still praying. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You can drop them on my soundcloud or media server if you want.

Thanks BDD.  And...uh...how do I do that?

I'm going to try to e-mail each song, and see if they aren't too large.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Bill, I know exactly what you are talking about with veins that roll. Anytime you are in the hospital they will "stick" you and put in a port for an IV. Over time that "location" will go bad and you will need to be "re-stuck".
Then here comes the "Lab Tech" needing to take a blood sample and they have to "stick yoy in another place - they can't use the IV port. This is an on going process. During my recent hospital "STAY'S" they were not able to get a needle inserted any where in my arms. So here come a different "Lab Tech" who inserted what is called a "PICT LINE". This "needle" is long and flexible. It was inserted on the inside of my right arm amm and ran all the way up to my neck. This "line" was over a foot long and had several "Ports" at the end eliminating my having more needles inserted into other places. This is the 2nd time I have had this proceedure and it is not fun. I feel for you, Dondra, as I've been thru the same thang although maybe not to the same level. Get well, soon.

Nela

Bill too bad the rest of the family will not help,when the call you can always tell them they can find out by visiting,hope all will get better soon for all three of you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

37 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-22 23:25:21)

We're home. Dondra was discharged today with 7 new meds she has to take, including the one I already told you about (the dangerous one).

It was explained to us that just about all medications have side effects and the USDA (US Dept of Drug Admin) wouldn't have approved that one if the numbers had been greater (more people dying, in other words) than they were. However, I made sure that my reluctance was noted in her chart, just in case.

This caused us to leave under less than friendly circumstances, but we don't care. As medical professionals we feel we have a right to question any medication whether prescribed for us or one of our patients. Y'all too, have that right, my friends. I'm sure our friend NELA checks his meds out VERY well before taking them and with GOOGLE, it's not so difficult at all anymore to find out what medicine will interact unfavorably with one you may be already taking. It takes hardly any time at all, and you may be saving your life and/or a doctor's career in the process.

The good thing about all these new meds is that they will be stopped (or reduced) when she has her ablation. The bad thing is the ablation has now been moved from August 1st to September 1st. During that time we were advised that many people "live with" atrial fib with RVR and we shouldn't be so quick to come to the ER the next time and let it "run its course". This too was written down by me and added to Dondra's chart.

The other bad thing about all the new meds is that they're going to cost us much more than we've been paying, but we can suck it up and tough it out. Right now I'm just very happy to have "She Who Must Be Obeyed" back home in her bed, bossing me around. smile

I want to thank all of you once again for all the prayers, good thoughts, juju and of course the songs and music you've dedicated  not only to us, but to our friends NELA and his Wife.

I couldn't find a better bunch of friends than all of you here, who I am proud to call my family.

We LOVE Y'all!

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill I'm sure you must both be very tired,  try to get some rest. At least Dondra will be sleeping in her own bed, that must be a relief. Take care both of you

Zurf wrote:

Thanks BDD.  And...uh...how do I do that?

I'm going to try to e-mail each song, and see if they aren't too large.

Hey Zurf! smile

Thanks VERY much from both of us for the songs you played for Dondra. She says you have a great and sexy* sounding voice and to tell you she especially liked the Jim Croce tune.  She also liked the fact you spoke to her and created for her a little "concert". It all helped lift her spirits and she'll be on Chordie maybe tomorrow to thank all of you personally for your kindness.

I finally  got those songs downloaded and joined Dropbox at the same time, so thank you too, Dirty Ed!

Almost forgot: "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has a special request. You know that cute little song by The Beat Farmers called "Happy Boy"?
Well, she wants you to play it for her if and when you have time. She says that guy singing sounds just like you!

Here's the YT link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZtII8rt_Y

Thanks so much once again, Zurf mah Brothah! wink

Bill

* she never says that sh*t to me! smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

keepitreal,

Thanks my friend for checking in! Yeah, we're both pretty tired and I just tucked her in for the night, but I just checked one of her meds and I need to wake her at midnight to take one of them, so I'll be staying up if I can. If not, there's always that old alarm clock by my bed. smile

I sure will be glad when I can talk guitars with you and my other brothers and sisters again, so please keep your fingers crossed that all those hospital trips are done for a while.

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill glad too see you are home and also questioning  the new meds I hope we get some good reports now and also for Nela.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf email me and I'll send you instructions.  Not gonna post am here for obvious reasons. wink

I worked it out with Dropbox, BGD. Thanks for the kind offer, though.

Bill, I know exactly what you are talking about with the meds and their side affects. If a person would read the warnings for a baby asprin they would never take them. My wife is a pharmacy tech, and has beem for over 30 years, so she is well versed on most meds. Right now I'm taking 22 pills and at least 5 shots of insulin per day. I'm going in tomorrow for training for a insulin pump so my taking the shots will become easier. All medicines have their own side affects but one also has to be careful with the reaction of one med with another. Anyway, Bill, always question any medicine you take. Glad to hear Dondra is home and feeling better.

Nela

Glad she's home with you Bill. Take care.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hey Bill and Dondra - You've got email!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

She says you have a great and sexy* sounding voice ...

* she never says that sh*t to me! smile

She wouldn't say it to me either if she saw me.  LOL.   Here's a picture of me getting up in the morning after sleeping on Topdown's floor at ChordieStock 2013.

https://zurf.smugmug.com/FamilyTrip/National-Zoo-June-2006/i-n7Pwkfp/0/M/Many%20Photos%20to%20Sort%20231-M.jpg

Topdown spread the hay around just for me. 

I dropped "Live Forever" into the Dropbox folder.  I haven't got the speed of the picking up to what you hear from Billie Joe Shaver, but maybe it'll be OK.

I'll try and do a couple more for her soon.  Don't tell your tea-toting wife, but the red wine I was sipping had started to kick in by the time I recorded Blue Train.  I've had a hard time getting a handle on that song.  But she said she liked 60s and 70s country, so that one had to be done.

48 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-24 00:18:27)

Thanks, Zurf and Amy (got your mail) for your continued kindness to us. Neither one of us realized it, but we're both exhausted. She from the hospitalization and lying in bed, me from just the running around, paying bills, etc....... So today we're both "geezing" (what "Geezers" - those of us over 50, do,  according to the kids) in bed next to each other. Jason's being our gofer and D has promised to respond as soon as she feels not so "washed" out.

I'm watching her like a hawk, so please don't worry about her, okay?

May I share with you the phone call I got today?

=============================================

Voice One: "Hey, Bro', what's up? Dondra home yet?"

Me: "Yep, she was discharged yesterday"

Voice One: "Great! Y'all need anything?"

Me: "No, not at the moment, thanks."

Voice One: "We meant to come by and see about her, but you know how it is, time just got away from us."

Me: "It happens. Don't worry about it."

Voice One: "Anyone else been by?"     (Now why would he ask that??)

Me: (After a short pause) "Just some musicians I know checked in every day."

Voice one: "Oh Hell!. You're back in a band????"

Me: "Yep. I'm in a band."

Voice One: "Well, how cool is that???? At your age! Still beatin' them skins! Well, call us if ya need us. Bye.

Me: "Bye" ...... click dial tone.

======================================================

Anyone catch what's missing here? smile

We love you, "Family Band". smile

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Well, it's very early hours Friday morning here, just about bedtime me thinks. Bill / Dondra I look forward to hearing some more positive news later. G'night from me.

50 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-07-23 23:42:43)

mekidsmom wrote:

Hey Bill and Dondra - You've got email!  wink

My answer to what was sent to us:

==========================================

Hey Amy

I had to get her up and sit her in my office chair and told her what she was about to hear would be the sweetest voice in the world and coming from the sweetest lady musician I know. She listened to both, enjoyed the little wave, all the smiles and we hugged and cried a little during "Bobby McGhee". When I learned it, I sang it for her playing my Jasmine, but couldn't get the notes you reached. wink

Thank you so much for the time and the lovin of us both.

Bill and Dondra.

==========================================

I will leave it to our Amy to share this with the rest of you, but we both think she should favor us ALL with those two precious tunes.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass