Topic: PARALYSIS

PARALYSIS

Seemed genuine, even somewhat flattering,
Can't say it didn't feel good to hear it.
Get up there again? clenched teeth chattering,
Paralyzed by fear, I'm not going near it.

CHORUS:     Call it a compliment, call it just praise,
        He thought it would be great if one of these days,
        I'd perform it for others, play this new song,
        I'm afraid, I just can't, so much is so wrong,

Seemed sensible enough, a chance to help out,
Can't say I won't, but won't say I will.
I might say I can't, but there's really no doubt,
Paralyzed by fear, had more than my fill.

I'm afraid, I just can't, so much is so wrong,

Seemed justified, turned my back to his need,
It wouldn't take much to lighten his load.
Possessive possessions, possessing my greed.
Paralyzed by fear, head down, cross the road.

I'm afraid, I just can't, it just seems so wrong,
`
Something to give or something to share,
Both the same thing, asked to give of myself.
I might be put out, I might have to care,
Paralyzed by the fear, an unfinished song back on the shelf.

I'm afraid, I just can't, it just seems so wrong,

I was playing a snippet of some music I'd put to another poem to my brother recently, and he went into "people need to hear this" mode. I don't play in front of others, and honestly can't imagine ever doing it ... even the thought of it terrifies me. He came back at me with some nonsense about obligation, which just made me feel worse. That's the background of this poem , which should be readily obvious.

2 (edited by bluejeep 2015-08-26 00:19:42)

Re: PARALYSIS

Well said! I hear you TF. I've played and sung to an audience and can't say that I enjoyed it. It's just not my way, I am what I am-no apologies. I play for my own enjoyment, that being said, if I'm out on my porch playing a few songs I don't mind if someone stops to listen, but that won't happen often up here on the ridge. The only other person I've ever played guitar with is my brother (who does enjoy playing to an audience), I'm easily distracted by someone playing a different part and lose my place and tempo. The way I see it, your only obligation is to yourself.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

hi TF,

it was obvious (to me anyway) been there, done that! i play every weekend but don't do any of my own songs. i record backing tracks for other peoples songs and play them each time, some more than others, but the thought of belting out one of my own tunes puts the fear of god into me.

i think that people that read the poems/songs that we put up here think that it's so easy just to chuck them up. so they just look through without realizing how we're baring our souls by doing so for the entertainment and edification of others. they need to realize that if it wasn't for people like us there would be no music, no poetry, no art....nothing and all our lives would be so much sadder.

anyway, sermon over. as you can see your poem struck a chord with me, and as you've laid it out like a song i suspect you may record it? if so i'd love to hear it.

well done.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

TF another great one, definitely understand the feeling behind it, its hard to sing, play music publically, something I had to overcome and decided to overcome myself.  It is a challenge that's for sure, but glad I have now.  Love what you have written, great as a poem but have to say I would love to hear this as a song as well smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Thanks, Jandle ...

I used to perform and got quite a kick out of it. As time went by, I lost interest because I was no longer playing for myself, but for the approval of others. The applause became disgusting to me, and I was starting to not like myself for ever wanting it in the first place. My music and poetry is mine now, as this poem / song describes. Appreciate your kind words, and please feel free to put music to it if you like.

TF thanks for sharing, I can understand that actually, its got to be for the enjoyment and pleasure to sing, perform publically, rather than pressure from people otherwise it just performing without passion or soul.  Thanks I might give your song a go smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan