Topic: So frustrated!!!

The last time I tried to do some recording, it worked great.  I had my Peavey 8 USB plugged in via USB.  I set WavePad (the software I'm using) set to take the input and provide the output to the USB device.  I put on my headphones to monitor it... and all I could hear is the mic.  I recorded a song anyway, but couldn't get playback from the device. 

I replaced the battery in the guitar and...nothing.  But it did show up on the bouncy doodad in recording volume that it was getting a signal.  What that signal might be, I have no idea because I can't get playback.  I even maxed out Presence and Volume on the guitar's built-in preamp and nada. 

I am confident that the two problems - no guitar in the headphones and no playback in the headphones - are going to be solved by pushing buttons.  My problem is that I don't know which buttons to push.  Any suggestions?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: So frustrated!!!

Hi zurf,I do not know but I would bet Russell Harding would ,might want to shoot him an email.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf I am totally unfamilar with your setup try playing the guitar thru an amp and see if the pickups are working hopefully someone who is more familar with your setup will chime in sorry sad

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i use a focusrite scarlet and i expect it's very similar, so try checking that the input signal on your interface is set to the device and channel you're using. the mic and guitar maybe using different channels. i may be way out but it's worth a try.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

They are using different channels, but the USB output is a single mixed output from the device. 

I did the most sensible thing.  I bought new headphones.  Hey.  They were on sale.  Don't judge. 

I'll get another new 9V.  I don't know how long the one I put in has been in the Guitar Tools drawer.  Then I'll push a bunch of buttons.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

They are using different channels, but the USB output is a single mixed output from the device. 

I did the most sensible thing.  I bought new headphones.  Hey.  They were on sale.  Don't judge. 

I'll get another new 9V.  I don't know how long the one I put in has been in the Guitar Tools drawer.  Then I'll push a bunch of buttons.

L.O.L.  (I will push a bunch of buttons)!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Don't laugh.  Punching a bunch of buttons worked half way. 

I still can't get playback through the headphones, but I was able to get playback through the computer speakers and that was good enough. 

The new headphones are wonderful.  They are AKG K44 headphones from Guitar Center, which were on sale for $29.99 over the Labor Day Weekend.

AKG's were what I used in my broadcasting days, Zurf. They make good stuff. You have a great set there, my friend. Grats!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Zurf,  I don't know your system and I'd probably do the same things you are doing. Here's my 2 cents.
Try switching inputs to see if the guitar works in the mic input.
You have sound coming out the speakers so try matching all the settings on both inputs.
Check cables , phantom power switch  -some need to be on/some off.

Let us know if you get it. Maybe we don't know the system but your trouble shooting process could help us with a future problem.  Good Luck.

Joe

Cables checked.  No speakers or monitors attached - just headphones to the headphone jack so I can hear the mix or whether my mic is way too hot (which it was when I couldn't hear), and the USB input to the computer.  The computer is supposed to be able to feedback to the unit so that I can hear playback through the phones, but it's not happening. 

I'll push some more buttons, but with sound coming out of the computer speakers (I have a decent H/K subwoofer system on the computer), that's good enough for my purposes. 

All I'm trying to do is record what I normally do so that I can hear it play back.  That gives me the ability to self-criticize and try to improve my performing. 

I've already learned that I probably need to bump Blue Train up a whole tone, and some of the stop and start stuff I was doing with the guitar makes it sound like the songs are ending in the middle.  So I'll have to work out a little different arrangement that gets quieter but doesn't stop.  Easy way to learn.