1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-09-12 19:46:01)

Topic: New Guitar Day

It won't be here until Friday, but my new Cordoba Acero is now ordered and paid for:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/CCWriter1/21247016-front-large_zps4016ed39.jpg

https://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/d10-ce

I was especially drawn to several features:

- all solid wood (spruce top / rosewood back & sides / mahogany neck / ebony fretboard / rosewood bridge & binding)
- 1.8" nut width (more finger room)
- Spanish heel (more resonance, sustain, and lighter weight)
- combo mic & piezo pickup system

My beloved Larrivee has now been sold to new owner, who I know will give it good home and proper care. The standard neck width was just to small for my hands.

Re: New Guitar Day

She's beautiful, TF

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Nice looking guitar, congratulations.

I do not understand the 'Spanish heel' bit though, something I have never heard before.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Really classy looks I like the headstock and tuners congrats. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Happy NGD, TF! That is a very beautiful guitar.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-09-12 22:37:00)

Roger Guppy wrote:

Nice looking guitar, congratulations.

I do not understand the 'Spanish heel' bit though, something I have never heard before.

Roger

Neither did I, Roger. My main attraction to this thing was the 1.8" nut, and the fact that it is all solid wood for $1,000. It was fun to learn about this construction method, and how it compares to what I was familiar with.

A Spanish heel essentially means the guitar is built as an entire unit, rather than a body with a neck glued/bolted on. The neck is not attached to the body with a mortise & tenon or dovetail joint. Instead, the neck is slotted, fastened to the top, then the sides are inserted, creating a truly "all wood" guitar. This method obviously doesn't lend itself well to "assembly line" construction, which is mainly why high volume manufacturers don't use it. The benefits are lighter weight, increased stability, and especially increased resonance and sustain. Here's a pic of a Spanish heel part way through construction, even though the top isn't on as they're usually done:

http://www.harvestmoonguitars.com/gallery/Fgallery1-15.jpg

It's a common method for European-made classical guitars, but Cordoba is one of the first to use it in a steel-string guitar. Renowned British luthier Andy Manson also builds steel string guitars almost exclusively with a Spanish heel. www.andymanson.com Some express concern with this method by wondering how a neck reset could ever be done, but that's just the point: the neck was never set in the first place, i.e., there is no "joint" to break down with time.

Cool.  I hope you have lots of good tunage coming out of that sucker.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Happy new guitar day great looking one you got there.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks TF. That is very interesting, one is never too old to learn something new and that is my something new for today smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Schweeeet!

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Happy NGD!  Looks like a beauty!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

So no truss rod? Sounds like it would be tough to keep in tune? McCartney's early Höfner had no truss either and he was constantly tuning it. I'm missing something here, I'm certain. Right? smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

13 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-09-14 10:09:03)

Bill ... you win today's prize for your powers of observation!

The 2nd pic above is not a Cordoba, just a pic I found to illustrate the Spanish heel. The Cordoba Acero's do indeed have a dual-action truss rod. Age and humidity factors often require a bit of adjustment to the amount of relief in the neck (regardless of construction method) so their's does have one. If you open the link to Cordoba's website in the first post, and click the Full Specs tag at the bottom, you'll find it mentioned there.

From what I understand, a lot of classical guitars don't have a truss rod. I suppose it's because nylon strings place far less tension on the neck, but I don't know for sure.

Makes sense, my friend. And may I respectfully decline the "Powers of Observation" award? If I had taken the trouble to read as I should have, we both might have saved some bandwidth.......

Get it? "Bandwith"? smile

In the days of paper, we might have saved a tree!!!!! smile

Oh my goodness! I'm going back to bed on that one!

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

15 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-09-18 13:31:06)

Been rushing home every evening, running in the door, and hollering to my wife, "Is it here yet?"

So I decided this morning to look up the tracking number, to see where it is ... what a laugh. What a joke! Here in Canada, we have a national, government-run postal service called "Canada Post". The guitar is coming here from a company in Calgary, Alberta (due north of Missoula, Montana). CP picked it up, then took it west to Richmond, BC (due north of Seattle, Wash.), before starting its journey out here to the East Coast. This is 625 miles in the opposite direction!!!

So now it will be travelling over 3,800 miles to here from Richmond, plus the 625 it's already gone (total 4,425 miles), instead of straight line route of 3175 miles. What a waste! This our tax dollars at work. Oh my, oh my, oh my, oh my ...

"It's hard to get ahead, when you're coming from so far behind." Jim Unger (creator of "Herman")

TF, sorry but you are not going to like this reply. Since your new guitar has been traveling all those miles you need to be aware that most shipping of products are sent out in trucks, trailors or containers that are not temperture controlled. As such, when the new guitar arrives you should let is sit, "unopened" for a day or 2 to become acclimated to your location. I'm not saying this to be cute but only to help you. Also, be sure to take pictures of the "packaging" prior to opening so you can verify if noticable damage was done during the shipping process. It would also be good to let the delivery person know you are going to wait for a period of time to open it, as well. One other thing that may be a good idea is that when you tune the guitar for the 1st time, tune it a step (or 1/2 step) down for a day or so. You can always capo 1st or 2nd fret to bring it into standard tuning. Take care of the guitar and hope you many years of enjoyment.

Nela

Some great advice, my friends!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Tenement Funster wrote:

So now it will be travelling over 3,800 miles to here from Richmond, plus the 625 it's already gone (total 4,425 miles), instead of straight line route of 3175 miles. What a waste!

Back in the early 90's I spent one winter working for Airbourne Express doing local deliveries and pickups. My territory was about 30 miles from the local hub.

IBM had an office complex which had a fairly major road that split it in half. I would pick up an envelope on one side of the road and instead of running it across the street to it's destination, I had to scan it when it was picked up, scan it into the hub when I got back in the evening, scan it out of the hub in the morning and then scan it again when it was delivered. They would do this a couple times a week at $11.00 a shot. Those letters made a 60+ mile trip to go less than 100yds. One of the most phenomenal wastes of money I have ever encountered.

UJB - Hee hee hee... I worked for Airborne Express too.. in the late 90's early 00's ... but in the Customer Service Department.  It was a game sometimes to track some of the packages.  I especially enjoyed it when one would bust open and end up at the UFO (unidentified freight office - yes, someone that named that location clearly had a good sense of humor). 

TF- I've had to track things through Canada Post as well - working in Customer Service for companies I am under contract to not name.  Bad news is when they go from the US to Canada there's often tracking issues.  Good news, it sounds like your guitar is traceable after the exchange!  Hold strong!  It'll make it!  Just keep it away from all UFO's!!!!

NELA ... really want to thank you for some great tips; I'll have to curb my enthusiasm when it arrives. Thanks, buddy!

Fortunately, it's travelling laterally and not longitudinally (sp?) so it shouldn't be encountering too much variation in temperature. I also ordered the deluxe, archtop case made for it for extra protection ... any decent instrument deserves a proper case IMHO. Hopefully that increases its chances of getting here in one piece.

For an update, it arrived in Montreal yesterday. This is like playing "Where's Waldo?"

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02346/Wally---Gobbling-G_2346215b.jpg

It's here!!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-mRbPtJmNqkU/VgNUPMGrhkI/AAAAAAAAAF4/XnSofS_Jad8/s800-Ic42/P9220394.JPG

It looks, plays, and sounds better than I hoped for. Best of all, it fits my hands ... love the extra wide nut!

Great to put a face to a name.
Nice looking guitar to.
EB

The King Of Audio Torture

Good looking guitar, that happy grin says it all. Happy NGD!!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Nice

YAY!  FINALLY! 

It's a good looking guitar, for sure.  I'm glad it made it safely, and you look like a kid on christmas!  smile  Happy NGD!!!!