Topic: DUDE! You're Double-Jointed!

So when I found that there were a couple of ways to make an easy G and C, I looked for an easy "B" and found Tom Michaud's YT installment for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6xbJazlViE

And, as you can see, the guy's double-jointed making all those funky barres on his third form of the "B" chord.

Which leads me to write the following: Double-jointed people have an easier time learning the guitar. True or False, Chordies?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: DUDE! You're Double-Jointed!

There is no such thing as double jointed. It's just hyperflexibility and dexterity. You can doooooooo it. Here are some tips:
1. Stretch before and after you play.
2. Don't over-fret. Using too much pressure restricts your range of motion and also decreases dexterity. (Also decreases sustain and makes strings go sharp.) Practice playing single notes by using the least amount of fret hand pressure as possible while still allowing the string to sound properly. Lots of beginners correct for bad technique by clamping, as they (we - I did it too) improve, they forget to go back and review the fundamentals of fret hand pressure, pick hand pressure, etc. So make sure you're doing that.
3. See rule #1. smile
4. Practice moving chord shapes without playing (left hand only). What lots of players think of as poor mobility or poor flexibility is actually underdeveloped dexterity. Just practice fretting C/G/C/G/C/G over and over again without playing a song. Do that with all the important chord shapes you use on a daily basis.
5. Same thing goes for your fingers. Practice chord shapes using all fingers. Omit your index finger and try playing C, G, D with your middle, ring and pinky fingers. It sucks when you start but it gets easier.
6. As a last step, capo 2 or 3. Distance between frets gets shorter as you go up the neck. You might just need a little bit of help. Or play a gibson-scaled instrument. smile

-JL

The normal "C" is better than the one you call the "Long C" in the other thread, but I'm blocking strings like crazy. I'll continue practicing that C/G/C/G exercise.

Thanks very much for your help, BGD

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Nothing wrong with blocking strings as long as you sound like you're trying to do it. smile

Great tips, BGD ... excellent stuff!

I've found it useful to learn every chord in a number of different shapes, different positions on the fretboard, and different fingering configurations. A person may need a different free finger in each song, just to add notes when flat-picking, etc.

Revisiting this thread::::::::: Since I posted I have now developed arthritis in the joint of my left (chording) hand's middle finger and it looks like I'm going to have to figure something else out. Slide, maybe? But watching The Gray One play "Little Red Rooster" on Saturday, I notice there may be a bit of finger-picking going on and therein lies my problem: That's going to take a lot of time for me to master.

Always something. wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass