Topic: Old Guitar Day

Cant  wait  for  Saturdays  gig  at  the  Pickering Beer  festival   when I  will be  reunited  with  two of  my  favourite  guitars  from my  collection in Crete. Thanks to  Kev Jones shipping  them back  for me .My  old  Eko ranger 6  which  I've  had  for  46 years  and  my Governor resonator  which has  been my  go to resonator  for  about  15yrs ,Time  to  play  the  blues .

Re: Old Guitar Day

Nice.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wish I could hear you and the band live.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Never played a resonator... but they were part of my original lure to getting into playing. I'm not good enough, still.  I think if I were though, I'd be glad to be reminiscing with one!  Enjoy your OGD!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by Grah1 2015-09-18 23:18:16)

I love  resonators  I  have  3  different  ones I  like  the  Governor  best even though it  was  the  cheapest 
These  are vids  of   Brian Viall and  my  self  on  stage  at  Earth Dance  2013 in Heraklion I'm playing  the Governor  an Brian  has  a  LAG Tramontane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdaGd9C8Kk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMyp-p21z5M

Happy guitar reunion day Graham!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I tried to play a rezzie when I was about 15 and was learning my first E chord. That thing was so heavy, I believe it had a steel body, but I sure love that sound. Nothing like it and you play it well, Graham. Loved both tunes and left notes.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

8 (edited by Grah1 2015-09-19 07:27:48)

Thanks  for  the  comments  on YouTube Bill ,made  me smile.
Re  the  weight  of resonators  ,the  one in the  vids  has  a  wooden body  and  is  pretty  light but  I  have  a  gold  plated  Steel bodied  one  which   weighs   very  heavy  but  sounds  and  looks  amazing .I  also have  a  resonator  bouzouki   which  is  nickel  plated both  came  from Ozark  guitars  in the  UK  and  I  believe  were  made  originally as display models ,although  a  few  weeks  ago  I  came  across  a  very similar  guitar  in York which  was  gold  plated  but  it  had  no  pickup  or  the  ornate  mother  of  pearl inlays  which mine  has 
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/407039_10200903252720950_2036588944_n.jpg?oh=9a7812d9e6043ad7db957c873c39d888&oe=56659472

Beautiful!!!!! Price?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I  think   I  gave  about  £600  for  it   about  4 yrs  ago  not  sure  though  as  it  was  part  of  a  job lot  with bazoukis  and  banjos from a  dealer  in the  UK

That's a beauty!

I was bidding on one a few years ago on ebay but it went a little higher than I was willing to go.

Both videos were cool Graham. The firedancers took me by surprise. A little bit of Polynesia in Crete.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

They  are   a  Hippy   dance  troop called  the" Frantic  freaks " from Rethymno in Crete ,great  bunch  we've  worked  with  them  a  few times  but on this  occasion they  turned  up  and  surprised us by  joining  in  with  our  set .

That's a real work of art, Graham ... beautiful.

Just  a follow up post to this subject to thank Kev J for bringing my guitars back for me I played the resonator in my set at the Pickering beer festival and had a great time John Prince and I closed the show last night to a great and very apreciative crowd .Also many thanks to the Sun inn  at Pickering for the nice beers and ciders .I would urge any one who is in the area today to visit and sample the hospitality and more live music from 12  today

Got  the EKO out  of  its  box  and  gave  it  a  clean and  a polish ran through  a few  numbers  ,this  guitar  has  such a  mellow  tone  I  really  love  it sounds as good  amped  as  it  does  acoustic wish  I  had  two   then i  wouldnt  worry  about gigging  this  one .

Mark's Knopfler's "National" graces the cover of Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms" album, and we're all familiar with his finger-picking it for the song "Romeo & Juliet". He was chatting about it at a concert, and referred to all of the embossing on it (palm trees, lovers, scrolling, etc.) as being vulgar. For whatever reason that's stuck with me, as I'm not entirely sure what he meant. The steel resonators are indeed beautiful, and I hope to play one some day.

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/MK_guitars_nationalreissue.jpg

vulgar can also mean flamboyant.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Pickering is a great place, usually stop there on our way to Robin Hoods Bay. Would have loved to call in at the beer fest but just got back off holls on Zante. BTW, can you remember what strings you're using?

Thick as two short planks

Check out Newtone Strings, made about a mile away from here.

Thick as two short planks

On the resonator I have Martin 11s it came with heavier strings but had tuning issues I think they may have been sticking in the nut .I'll check out newtone,thanks.

Here's the clip I referred to earlier, with Mark speaking about & playing his resonator. You'll recognize the song immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBfV-l-IK7I

Tenement Funster wrote:

Here's the clip I referred to earlier, with Mark speaking about & playing his resonator. You'll recognize the song immediately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBfV-l-IK7I

A said before it seems he is talking about it being flambount

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman