1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-20 01:51:48)

Topic: How Hard Is It To Play Blues Harp?

My friend Rick has one on a collar which he plays along with his guitar and I wanted to try it as well.

What model harp should I start with that's easy?

Because I'd really like to play this: http://videosift.com/video/I-Can-t-Stop … bert-Klein

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: How Hard Is It To Play Blues Harp?

I tried, but never could control my drool, especially when I tried using the tongue to make stops. The thing rusted out in about a year ... comical, but true.

3 (edited by rickyjack 2015-09-20 10:49:44)

So you're looking for easy are ya?

Are you good at rubbing you stomach and patting your head? Or is chewing gum and walking hard for you?

Take a look at some of the youtube videos on blues harp instructions. Then check out ebay for harmonica's. Good ones go for around $40 and up. To start with you can get some for half that or less, I would stay away from used ones. 
C diatonic is a good key to start with. With that you can play straight harp or first position songs in C, or cross harp, also called second position in the key of G. Second position is used for most blues. Second position is mostly breathing in and first position is mostly blowing out.

I'm not a very good teacher but I hope what I have told you is some help.
You might want to practice when Dondra's away from the house at first.

Rick

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-20 13:07:10)

Hi, Rick!

Well, I do play drums, would that help. I have left right hand independence as well as in both legs.

There's that "second position" again. Seems to be a popular musical term.

No, no used, slobbered-on harps for The German Boy. wink

I'll get a C diatonic. Is there a difference between that and just a normal "C"? I know I want one that will "bend" notes.

I'd really like to try that Robert Klein thing above for the kids at Christmas. In your opinion is that a difficult piece to play without guitar?

Thanks my friend and your "girlfriend" says to tell you hello! I keep telling you two to get a room, but ya never listen! smile smile smile

Bill

PS: Thanks TF, for your, um, contribution! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hey Bill.

A diatonic is a normal harp. You can bend most of the low notes with one. There are other tunings but diatonic is what you should start with, in my opinion.

In that video you put up, he is playing a B flat diatonic, so the second position would be F. His band is playing the song in F...That was a good video!

I have an idea..Get two harps and Dondra can learn with you.

So if that's a 12 bar blues progression in F, it would be played like this:

F,F,F,F, Bfl, Bfl, F, F, C, Bfl, F, F ?

I could transpose that down to where I can play it on the C harp?

Basically, I am just looking for something new to entertain the kids with other than the same old magic routines.
=========================

She says, "dream on, buddy" and "that's so funny, I forgot to laugh!"

smile

Thanks again!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Yes...Play the 12 bar blues in G and go at it with your C harp.

Just remember to refrain from playing after you have anything to eat...they don't work well with chunks of food in them.

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-09-20 16:18:01)

So finally, I could conceivably play those chords on the git-tar and play that boogie riff that Canned Heat uses so much and Thorogood uses on Bad To The Bone on the harp, ya think? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9FyQNx8oyU

It's played here on the saxophone about 3-4 bars in. da-da-da- da DA, da-da-da- da- DA (I can't stop my leg!) da-da-da- da-DA  in the 12 bar blues progression.

Can you picture that? smile

Thanks very much for your time, my friend!

Bill

ETA: I guess if the comb or something goes, it's just as cheap to replace the whole thing? Not that I'd get chunks of food in it, or anything. big_smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Yes to the Bad To The Bone question.

I play Lee Oskar harps. They can be taken apart, cleaned or the reed plates can be replaced. I think other brands have that option also...not real sure on that one though.

Rick

The Lee Oskar harp I found which you recommend is around 40 bucks. The collar is 20.00. Not bad, and I'll be doing three things with my body: the leg, the harp and the guitar. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Good luck....I hope it works for you.

It's gonna wait a while, since my allowance for October is mostly spent already, but soon, I hope. Thanks again for the help.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

It's gonna wait a while, since my allowance for October is mostly spent already, but soon, I hope. Thanks again for the help.

Bill you already spent most of your October allowance? do you really mean for september?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

No dino, my friend. I meant for next month.  Got a few extra things I need to take care of. smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill.
You can find out if it's for you or not a lot cheaper than $60.

I used a coat hanger for a rack for years. Just start bending it to where you want it.

A $15 or $20 harp will get you going. I would hate to see you spend money on something you may not choose to get into.

I really wanna play "I Can't Stop My Leg" for the kids at Christmas, though, Rick. For that, don't I need a harp that will bend notes to be authentic?

I saw a guy play a Hohner C on a vid, and he couldn't bend that thing worth a guano.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

17 (edited by rickyjack 2015-09-23 14:02:36)

I haven't come across a harp that I can't bend notes on yet.

Hohners are good. I played them for years until I got tired of wood combs and switched to Lee Oskars with plastic combs and replaceable reed plates.

I have some very cheap ones a friend bought for me and they will bend. If you bend notes hard and often you can ruin a reed. I have a box of old harps with one reed not working.

Rick

Well, anyway, it will have to wait. Ever since I saw John Lennon and Bob Dylan using a harmonica with collar, I've wanted to try it myself. I'll see how it works out, but you're right, I sure don't want to spend too much on something I may only use once.

Good advice from a very good friend. smile

Have a good week coming up!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

It's real easy unless you want to do it well.  If that's the case, I have no advice because I do not do it well.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Never played it before, So i basically don't know tongue Well, almost everything is hard to play in the beginning. Once you get practice, that will be easy for you.