Topic: hotel California

Analysis of the lyrics and what they mean

But im only gonna do this if people want me to.

the answer is blowin' in the wind

Re: hotel California

what sort of analysis u would like

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

Seems to me the song is about temptation and decadence and materialism and greed.
Seems rather ironic since The Eagles charge obscene prices (more than $100) for concert tickets.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

4 (edited by manofgod 2007-08-02 13:31:22)

It's about, to an extent, the Church of satan, (founded california, 1969) and aconverted catholic church used as it's head quarters "please bring me my wine (areference to the wine used as the blood of christ in many christian denominations) we haven't had that spirit (that of christ) since 1969" thats just part theres some more...

Ummmm - I find that a little far fetched.
This interpretation seems like one of those semi-plausible rumors that is fun to tell but lacking in actual fact.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

No. more of a bawdy and crack house experience...similar to the House of The Rising Sun....

"in the masters chambers, (churches) they gather for the feast, (sacrifice of the mass) they stab it with their steely knifes but they just can't kill the beast (satan)". almost a challenge

8 (edited by manofgod 2007-08-02 17:14:05)

Boris The Spider wrote:

No. more of a bawdy and crack house experience...similar to the House of The Rising Sun....

house of the rising sun is about prostitution, so i don't know if it would really fit under madhouse well, mabey.

Like MANOFGOD wrote, the Christian church, are convinced that it is a "satanic"song.
we haven't had that spirit here since 1969,"  These things you and I can find, looking on Google: meaning of song x, or song y

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I firmly believe that what you put into a song is what you get. If you want to see somthing bad then you;ll see it.  For me it's just a cracking song with a good melody and I like it.
If you have to go through life just looking for the bad then that's all you'll see. For me when I think about that song, it's the first time I met my husband and love at first sight. And no amount of doom and gloom will change that. So, if you don't like what you feel is in this song....don't play it!

11 (edited by last_rebel 2007-08-03 22:37:50)

the song is about a haunted hotel.... i wish ppl would quit trying to make everything complicated lol

All You Need is Love smile

Everyone knows it's about a 24 hour check in Hotel named California with a dodgy door and windows that don't open!  'enter any time ye like, but ye can never leave!' wink

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

I think that for those who are religous they will see it how they will and for those who think of it another way feel free as for me i think its about being stuck and not being allowed to control the environment but thats just me

So Red Delicious

Don Henly says you're full of beans.  The song is a metaphor for the music industry in Los Angeles.  Musicians enter it of their own accord, and then find they're stuck in that system forever.

They stabbed it with their steely knives..

That is a lyrical shout out to Donald Fagan, of Steely Dan fame.  They had referenced the Eagles in their song "Everything You Did."

All of that has been stated by the guys that actually wrote Hotel California, and are probably best suited to tell us what the song is about.

And it aint SATAN!!!!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Don Henly says you're full of beans.  The song is a metaphor for the music industry in Los Angeles.  Musicians enter it of their own accord, and then find they're stuck in that system forever.

That is a lyrical shout out to Donald Fagan, of Steely Dan fame.  They had referenced the Eagles in their song "Everything You Did."

All of that has been stated by the guys that actually wrote Hotel California, and are probably best suited to tell us what the song is about.

And it aint SATAN!!!!

Hey that one actually makes sense lol

Im a christian but personally i think whoever wrote that stuff about it being the devil kinda went off the deep end. You can analyze pretty much anything and come up with SOME way its "evil". If we start doing that we'll be like the almish before too long....

All You Need is Love smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

And it aint SATAN!!!!

henley is an admitted satanist, a group not renown for honesty.

Hey Mangofood,
Educate yourself before you go blurting out propaganda against Don Henley.Start with this;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Henley

Give everything but up.

I gnerally don't trust wikipedia, since it's edited buy it's users. but mey souce was apriest who was actually quite in touch with henly for along time.

A priest who was actually in touch, for a long time with an admitted SATANIST? Hmmm, sounds kinda fishy to me. I don't mean to sound like I'm callin' you out. Nah!!!,
forget all that, I'm callin' you out. BS.

Give everything but up.

as i see the song hotel california, has nothing to do with religous purposes nor greed.

i tell ya what i believe it's about. it's about a man traveling round and a woman tempting him into drugs, and its about a man struggling to get off them after he relizes that he got in to deep in drugs. the porter said i havent had that spirit since 1969? thats the conscience saying hey it's uplifting from the drudge of getting off drugs. its obivious

SouthPaw41L wrote:

A priest who was actually in touch, for a long time with an admitted SATANIST? Hmmm, sounds kinda fishy to me. I don't mean to sound like I'm callin' you out. Nah!!!,
forget all that, I'm callin' you out. BS.

He wasn't apriest when he knew him, he was a lawyer then

manofgod, I think I wrote it already somewhere, the amazing fact and skill to give critic.
I hate a lot of the so called critic gourous, looking letter after letter to give their opinion,n about lyrics. I swear that I can write a song, lyrics, in 10 minutes, rhyming and fitting well in my song, but full of bullsh**, non sense lyrics. If I was a famous and gifted songwriter, I think, when reading the critics, like are there hidden messages, what does he mean with that phrase, I will drop dead from choking, because I had to much fun and had to laugh. Like the, by the way, beautiful song, A WHITER SHADE OF PALE, by PROCOL HARUM, nobody knew what those lyrics tried to express, they tried everything to find something, but PROCOL had fun, because in fact the song was written (on LSD I think) and he just put lyrics like that. If you want: in 5 minutes I can write a complete crazy lyric, and try to figure out what I wanted to tell to the world

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

manofgod wrote:

Bunk.  Prove it.

Telling lies about people isn't a Christian virtue.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

manofgod wrote:

1. I believe Henley has admitted to having had an interest in the occult.  That is not the same thing as being a satanist.  When it comes to accusing, be very careful to be accurate.  Further, having dabbled in the occult does not condemn a man if he comes to Jesus later.  Do you know the current status of Henley's heart?  If not, then I think you should be doubly careful.  Do you know anyone who is a Christian now that did not have a cause for repentence?  I don't. 

2. Your argument makes no sense.  You say that Henley is unreliable, but that a person who knew Henley at one time is reliable when speaking of him.  But where would the person who knew Henley have gotten his information about Henley but from Henley himself?  How does an unreliable source get to be reliable by passing through a third party?  That doesn't pass the BS-meter.  I don't mean to accuse you of lying, but I am suggesting that you think it through from this perspective and see if you'd like to amend your comment.

3. What do you know of Satanists?  There can be no deception without partial truth.  The best lies merely encourage false perceptions to observable facts.   Even if Henley were a Satanist, what would be the reason to sing a song about Satan and then mislead people to thinking it was about something else?  There is no sense to the suggestion.  He would have just not sung the song if he wanted to deceive people.  Or sung about truth, happiness, and butterflies to mislead people.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

the priest was at the time the legel advisor or something of the kind to the band and on the night of the launch of the album hotel california, henley called for a satnic priest to consecrate the album.

also, i know quite a bit about satanist, having been one myself at apoint in time.