Topic: New Member Saying Hello

Afternoon, fellow musicians.

My name's John Ravenscroft and I'm new here.

At the ripe old age of 61 - and after a gap of about 20 years - I'm about to start playing the pubs and clubs again. Why not, I thought?

This site is wonderful. The hours I spent back in the 1960s trying to work out the words and chords of songs...

If only chordie had been around back then.

These days, I play exclusively in DADGAD and would be interested in hearing what other DADGAD players are doing with the tuning.

Any other DADGAD lovers here?

Still living. Still learning.

Re: New Member Saying Hello

Welcome.  I've never played in that tuning. What are the pluses?

Thanks for the welcome.

DADGAD is wonderful for fingerpickers. It frees up the fretboard, in my opinion. Take a look at Pierre Bensusan's videos on YouTube.

hello john and welcome.

i am 64 and have been playing the pubs and clubs circuit since the 70's. i find there's more freedom now especially with the older crowd as they're usually around my age anyway.

i've never experimented with alternative tunings, i have enough trouble tuning standard EADGBE. i don't need more headwork.

and again, welcome. let us know how you get on with gigging in the naughties

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Welcome John. Maybe you can give us all some insite into playing in an alternate tuning.

Nela

welcome aboard John, I think I know maybe 3 songs in that tuning I go there occasionally for a change of pace

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Hello John, and welcome. My guitars are usually out of tune anyway, so maybe I'll try this. Do you have any suggestions on what tunes to start with?

Thick as two short planks

Welcome John.

Like you and many others here, my guitars took a 20 year dust nap while the kids were growing up. I started playing again 2 years ago and I'm so glad I did. I play pretty much every day now.

Never tried any alternate tuning. I'll have to pay attention to some of the conversations relating to it.

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-10-31 10:57:31)

Welcome to Chordie, John!

I'm just a couple years younger than you, and hear you loud and clear about wishing something like Chordie was around decades ago. I guess the flip side is that the songs we had to work our way through, seem to be the ones that we really know best.

The only song I've ever learned in DADGAD is "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin. I can see what you say about using it to free up a finger or two, and it would also be useful for slide work ... I've just never really played with it.

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

As I said, the best way to get an idea of the potential of DADGAD is to listen to some of Pierre Bensusan's videos on YouTube. He's a real master of the tuning.

I find it can transform even simple 3 chord songs into something that sounds different.

This is me playing Sting's song 'Fragile' in DADGAD. Quite simple to play, but gives an interesting tone.

Oh... tried to post the link but got a message saying I can't yet do so 'cos I'm new.

Pretty please? smile

I had Mr. Bensusan's album "Spices" years ago, but don't know where it is now. Really an excellent guitarist ... easy to understand why you're a fan.

Hey John!  Welcome to Chordie!  It's always nice to see a new member here! 

I see Doug gave ya the basic "take a look around, read the stickies" spiel.  smile  Keep on posting, and soon enough you'll be allow to throw links up into the threads.  This is a deterrent to try to keep the spammers down (they only usually post a few times and then disappear).  In the meantime, you can update your profile with a link to your youtube page or what not.  I noticed the current link in your profile for "website" brings us to an error page.  sad

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

13 (edited by JohnMR 2015-10-31 11:56:54)

Oops...

Will correct that, Amy.

I shall be sticking around. I like the look of this place.

(Edit - I see the problem with the website was due to the form adding an extra http link at the start of the address. Fixed now.)

I put my guitar away alot over the years. I finally dusted it off and have been playing steady ever since. The only other tuning I use is drop D. It's easy to get to. Good luck with your playing

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks, Benson. I love your sig, by the way.

'Guitars, singing, beer and camping...'

Not quite so sure about the camping these days - but I'm with you all the way on guitars, singing and beer. smile

bensonp wrote:

I put my guitar away alot over the years. I finally dusted it off and have been playing steady ever since. The only other tuning I use is drop D. It's easy to get to. Good luck with your playing

Pete good too see you back,I have not seen you here in awile.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Gidday John
Good to see a new face here.
welcome from the other side of the world.

The King Of Audio Torture

Greetings John as I am hopeless at music theory and work by feel, I was wondering is there some where on the net that I could hear some of your sounds.
Many of my fellow Kiwi music dabblers use soundcloud to release their musical ideas to the world. There is also up on soundcloud a group of us having ago at adapting  Strummer Bill and his wife's LOVE  poem into a song. Phill Williams and Kiki Jan plus others have  put their If Sunshine Were Mine on soundcloud. This chordie is a site full of diverse wonderful people welcome.

Correction I should have written Strummer Boy Bill. I have found your YouTube I like what you have put up.

JohnMR wrote:

Oops...

Will correct that, Amy.

(Edit - I see the problem with the website was due to the form adding an extra http link at the start of the address. Fixed now.)

Thanks for fixing it, because it was truly a treat for me to find your youtube page!

Guys - JOHN HAS SOME SKILLS!  What a voice too!  (clap clap clap clap)

smile  I'll go ahead and post the link to Fragile for ya that you were trying to post earlier.  Guys, check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijlYwYzToGk

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks for that, Amy.

As I said, DADGAD can make a huge difference. It gives even simple three chord songs an extra something that can transform the sound.

Hi John - welcome to Chordie! It's a great site with a lot of lovely people, as you may have already noticed. Really enjoyed your recording! Whereabouts in the UK are you?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Welcome. You are in a great group.Almost like one big family. I am probably known as the hoarder of the group. LOL

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

mekidsmom wrote:
JohnMR wrote:

Oops...

Will correct that, Amy.

Thanks for fixing it, because it was truly a treat for me to find your youtube page!

Guys - JOHN HAS SOME SKILLS!  What a voice too!  (clap clap clap clap)

smile  I'll go ahead and post the link to Fragile for ya that you were trying to post earlier.  Guys, check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijlYwYzToGk

I enjoyed your youtube video John good playing and you do have a good voice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks, Dino.

Good to meet you.