Topic: Teaching guitar.

My 20 year old Nephew called the other night saying he's wanting to learn guitar. The problem is there doesn't seem to be any tutors in his area although I'm still looking for one for him.

In the meantime I've told him that I'm more than happy to show him some basics to get him up and running. The only problem is, I haven't got a clue where to start!
Should I give him some easy scales and some open chords? How many to start of with? Should I give him some easy melodys to play?

Any advice on how to get him up and running and what I should be showing him will be greatly appreciated.

If it's any help he's into some of the music I'm into, Kasabian, Kings Of Leon, Libertines etc.

Thanks,

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Re: Teaching guitar.

Pick a song he knows and has simple open chords (or can be transposed to them).  Show him the chords.  Let him practice getting the chords out without buzzes and muffled strings and transitioning between them.  That's enough for a couple of weeks practice at least.  You'll think of the next step by then.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Craig,
I know how ye feel m8

I have tried to teach some friends. They gave up but said it wasnt my fault, they just think they should be able to play straight away.
If yer nephew knows it will take time and is still interested in it then he should manage.

I got my mates to learn G, C, D, A. no tunes, just tell them to strum these chords and learn to change.
Or I got one to play knocking on heavens door. G,D,Am  G, D, C.  let him do that for a week then tell him to report to you when he thinks he can do it easy. If he takes more than a week then  complain to him that is is not doing enough to learn.
Or a cambination of the two things there, chuck in an Em too.
get him on this site to look at songs, since it gives the chords and where to put your fingers. but he should not try to do too many.

good luck,

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Its a totally different thing to know how to play and to teach others how to play.  Over the years I have gave lessons many times (I'll do anything for a buck), and have always hated it.  My advise, "Dont do it".    lol     But my other word of advise is "dont listen to me".   lol

Bobby
kickin.ws