Topic: Identifying FENDER pickups

Is there a way to identify (distinguish) Fender pickups visually ? I have several I've purchased over time, some Standard, some Alnico 3 and some Tex-Mex bridge pickups, that got mixed up ...There are some minor differences in appearance, but nothing that really stands out. If an ohm meter is the only way, where can I find a list showing what ohm each type should be ??? Any help will be greatly appreciated....Thanks,  FiveO

Re: Identifying FENDER pickups

This is a really difficult one. I will answer with a strange fact. I have 2 gibson les paul custom guitars. A brown/red one, and I had the luck to have a BLACK BEAUTY 1968.
Because, I had already a Custom, I wanted to change the black Custom in that way, that I changed humbuckers, ON A BLACK 1968, worth a lot of money. Why the black: the first customs had black P-90 elements, the P-90, doesn't fit, but the P-94 does and is the same as the P-90. At first, they just had a single coil for the bridge, and I had to wait 2 months (WHAT DID HAPPEN: I HAD A GIBSON BFG, GO TO SEE THIS ONE ON www.gibson.com, BEFORE THAT GUITAR EXISTED, I hesitated, because the sound I had was so great), and than they would change the bridge humbucker. Your old humbuckers, you get them in a solid plastic box. PROBLEM, my ex had the kind of character to throw away everything I had, but didn't use, so I don't know where my originals are. She threw away a lot more personal things, one of the reasons why she is an ex girlfriend. So, I am desperately seeking 2 custom humbuckers from 1968.
I don't think that there is a way to distinguish your coils, and certainly it is not an easy task to do it. They all look the same I suppose? Do you HAVE A FENDER WITH PICKUPS?, or do you have only Fender pickups, is your Fender, if owning one, an american, mexican or one from the east?
I think you wrote the solution, go to a guitar shop, let's do them the "pickup" job they will help you, a lot help you for free, and if they charge you it will not be very expensive. They have the right equipement. This a question where Bootleger (he is a genius in that kind of stuff) can provide you the right answer.
Hope, I helped you

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

FiveO wrote:

Is there a way to identify (distinguish) Fender pickups visually ? I have several I've purchased over time, some Standard, some Alnico 3 and some Tex-Mex bridge pickups, that got mixed up ...There are some minor differences in appearance, but nothing that really stands out. If an ohm meter is the only way, where can I find a list showing what ohm each type should be ??? Any help will be greatly appreciated....Thanks,  FiveO

Yu are going to have to use the ohm meter to find the "K" value. You should find the value list on the fender website.

Bootlegger.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your advise,  FiveO