Topic: Question for the electronics guys

How hard is it to bias a tube amp, what equipment do I need and what is the downside of not doing so?

I had a tiny accident with the Deville a few months ago. Both power tubes broke. I have since replaced them with a matched set but do I absolutely need to re-bias before plugging it in?

Re: Question for the electronics guys

Don't know for sure, BGD ...

My uninformed assumption would be that if you replaced your broken tubes with a matched set of the same kind, you shouldn't need to re-bias. I'd never really thought of that before, so am glad you raised the question. It would be good to know for sure. Sorry to hear about the accident ... tubes are more fragile than eggs.

i did some more research. Below seems to be the common wisdom:
1. Matched tubes do not preempt the need for biasing.
2. Biasing is super easy.
3. Not biasing can result in burning out tubes.

I'm gonna try it tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!

BGD

Not going so hot.  Off to the tech!

You might try the amp manufacture.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-01-11 11:15:10)

Baldguitardude wrote:

Not going so hot.  Off to the tech!

Smart idea! I'm also a DIY guy myself, but it's always wiser (and cheaper!) to admit when ones limits are reached.

Took it to my amp guy, who also happens to be Geddy Lee's keyboard guy. smile

http://rushvault.com/2012/11/07/jack-se … ng-system/

How'd you make out with your amp, BGD?

I'm going through a similar exercise right now with my amp, and have a few more things to try before going to a tech. I'll try the simple steps myself, but will call it quits if I can't solve the problem. I think we've all found out (from experience) that there are two questions we should resist asking:

"I wonder what will happen if I do this? What could possibly go wrong?"

Hoooooooo, boy!