Topic: NTTD

Getting older has resulted in a lot of changes to my lifestyle.  I no longer kayak class V whitewater but paddle a sit-on-top kayak in class II-III while fishing.  I don't spend days out backpacking in remote areas but do short day hikes on easy trails.  I don't run 6 miles each day to keep in shape but spend about 20 minutes a day on a stationary bike.

I have now made another major change.  Instead of camping in remote areas in a tent or a hammock under a tarp I will now be staying in campgrounds in the luxury of a new travel trailer.  Jen and I have been talking about it for a while and looking at various campers so yesterday (my 66th birthday) we finally closed the deal on a 2016 Forest River Cruise Lite 171RB. We're hoping to be able to get away for a month to six weeks this summer and visit several national parks out in the southwest.

I'm learning that instead of fighting change, its simpler to try to adapt.

At least now I'll be able to drag along a guitar or two........

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: NTTD

Congrats!  Just a word to be looking for. Find out where the steel on that frame was made. some places are using cheap  china steel with too much carbon in it and so be looking for cracks in the future. 
Didn't want to throw a downer on ya, but just something I learned.  I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE FOR SURE!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Happy NTTD and Happy Birthday DE!   It's a hard choice to make when your used to whitewater and a tent on the ground, but it won't take you long to enjoy sleeping on a mattress. Now you can take your "good guitars" with you.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Pictures or it didn't happen. smile

Happy Birthday Ken.

I just looked it up. A very nice looking van and laid out well with a lovely big bed for weekend sleeping (or not smile).

Roger

Still need to see pictures of yours though!!

http://www.rvt.com/photos2/4719/6664719/6664719_1.jpg
http://www.rvt.com/photos2/4719/6664719/6664719_2.jpg

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Ed, congrats on the camper. They can be great fun and open up all kinds of different adventures. Be sure to join up with some camper clubs and get the senior citizens discounts. When we had ours we would stay at campgrounds that had good shower / bathroom facilities so we could use them instead of the camper bathroom. They do get a little cramped. Also, invest in a small outside table and a couple of electric skillets as they will save a lotta time when it comes to cooking. If you are planning on doing some wintertime camping, go buy you a small electric heater. They will keep you warm and save you from using your propane (camping fees cover the electric). Get you a good pair of rubber gloves as you will need them when you go to clean your black water holding tank. Also have a separate water hose to do this work. After you have cleaned the tank and are ready to leave be sure to dump a bag of ice, through the toilet. into the tank. As you drive down the road the ice sloshing in the tank will break loose any solids you may not have got while cleaning. Camping is fun, hooking up to the truck, setting up at the campground, cleaning when leaving ans settint it back up when you get back home is work. Have fun.

nela

A new sawmill.  Nice. 

I'm sure you'll figure out the best places to store a guitar or two, rods, lures, paddle craft, big comfy outdoor chairs, fire starters, Devils Cut, Bacardi, a new favorite coffee mug, space heater, beach-books, and all the other necessities of camping life.

We've been looking at a very similar model in a bunkbed layout.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Happy Birthday Ken!!!!!!!!!! Sweet trailer. Hopefully it'll make it to the backyard gathering this year. We'll set ya up with a good spot away from the fire pit so as not to peel the paint. Ha ha

Happy birthday and new camper day.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

mekidsdad wrote:

Happy Birthday Ken!!!!!!!!!! Sweet trailer. Hopefully it'll make it to the backyard gathering this year. We'll set ya up with a good spot away from the fire pit so as not to peel the paint. Ha ha

Only problem is; with the size of your campfire, he'll have to park it in the next county. lol

NELA wrote:

Ed, congrats on the camper. They can be great fun and open up all kinds of different adventures. Be sure to join up with some camper clubs and get the senior citizens discounts. When we had ours we would stay at campgrounds that had good shower / bathroom facilities so we could use them instead of the camper bathroom. They do get a little cramped. Also, invest in a small outside table and a couple of electric skillets as they will save a lotta time when it comes to cooking. If you are planning on doing some wintertime camping, go buy you a small electric heater. They will keep you warm and save you from using your propane (camping fees cover the electric). Get you a good pair of rubber gloves as you will need them when you go to clean your black water holding tank. Also have a separate water hose to do this work. After you have cleaned the tank and are ready to leave be sure to dump a bag of ice, through the toilet. into the tank. As you drive down the road the ice sloshing in the tank will break loose any solids you may not have got while cleaning. Camping is fun, hooking up to the truck, setting up at the campground, cleaning when leaving ans settint it back up when you get back home is work. Have fun.

nela

Thanks for all the good advice NELA.  The dealer is doing all the final prep work and we pick it up next Tuesday.  Meanwhile I'm trying to prepare an area to park the trailer (cut back some trees, smooth the ground, bring in gravel, etc) I made pretty good headway yesterday until it started snowing again.

DE

Perhaps some time it would be fun to rent a couple side-by-side spots at the Bluestone State Park.  I'd suggest Dianne's place, but she doesn't allow hard sided campers and the one time I took my family there there was a HUGE miller hatch and the women-folk are all still freaked out by the number of bugs.  Sonya's Mom and mine both passed before their time, so  I know my kids could do with Miss Jen's wisdom and kindness.  I know I could do with your friendship.  We'd pour wine for Sonya and she'd be fine, plus she'd like the picking.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

13 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-05 00:54:28)

Congrats on your new RV, Dirty Ed! No matter how old we get, there's always a little boy / girl inside that needs to get out and play once in a while. Otherwise, just like real kids, they'll drive you nuts. Hope you both have lots of fun adventures together!

Zurf wrote:

Perhaps some time it would be fun to rent a couple side-by-side spots at the Bluestone State Park.  I'd suggest Dianne's place, but she doesn't allow hard sided campers and the one time I took my family there there was a HUGE miller hatch and the women-folk are all still freaked out by the number of bugs.  Sonya's Mom and mine both passed before their time, so  I know my kids could do with Miss Jen's wisdom and kindness.  I know I could do with your friendship.  We'd pour wine for Sonya and she'd be fine, plus she'd like the picking.

Great idea Zurf.  It'd be fun to hook up with our families along.  I could bring my raft so the kids would have a ride on the river. Maybe Sonya would be agreeable to getting out on the water too.  I'm sure Jen would want to paddle her yak if the water wasn't too bad.

The National Park service has been building a new full-service campground just downstream from Diane's place. It's supposed to open this year. That might be an option.  Also, Jen wants to camp at Watoga State Park on the Greenbrier.  We stayed there many years ago in my old pop-up and she has wanted to go back.  KInda cool- you can shuttle yourself by using the bike trail (Greenbrier River Trail).  We did it that way the last time and it worked really well.  Pretty easy water with a lot of little smallies.

Congrats on the camper Ken!  smile And Happy Birthday!

Sounds like it'll make your get-away trips more enjoyable.  Knees and backs get to a certain point where they just want a dang bed.  PLUS, Jen and the pups will be able to come along in comfort!  smile  Very nice!  I looked up the specs on it.  SWEET!  It's not huge, but it's got all the comforts of home packed in.  It looks perfect for two.  I'm guessing you'll be busy traveling all over this summer, but we do hope you'll make it up here for a weekend.  No doubt we'll have another back yard (or side yard) get together.  Katie talks about you often, and hollers at us when we call you "Dirty Ed".  As Jim said, if you make it and want to park here, we'll make sure there's a spot for ya away from the fire... you know, maybe over in front of the pole barn for safety!  ha ha!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Congrats on the camper Ken!  smile And Happy Birthday!

Sounds like it'll make your get-away trips more enjoyable.  Knees and backs get to a certain point where they just want a dang bed.  PLUS, Jen and the pups will be able to come along in comfort!  smile  Very nice!  I looked up the specs on it.  SWEET!  It's not huge, but it's got all the comforts of home packed in.  It looks perfect for two.  I'm guessing you'll be busy traveling all over this summer, but we do hope you'll make it up here for a weekend.  No doubt we'll have another back yard (or side yard) get together.  Katie talks about you often, and hollers at us when we call you "Dirty Ed".  As Jim said, if you make it and want to park here, we'll make sure there's a spot for ya away from the fire... you know, maybe over in front of the pole barn for safety!  ha ha!

Thanks for the invite Amy and Jim.  Although I could probably save on propane in my camper as I wouldn't need to turn on the furnace if it was within 100 yards of the backyard fire, the Oneida Pines Campground would probably work out better. Close to your house, nice sites and friendly staff. I'm pretty sure I can talk Jen into coming this time

Tell Katie, Steph and Alex I said Hi.

DE

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Great idea Zurf.  It'd be fun to hook up with our families along.  I could bring my raft so the kids would have a ride on the river. Maybe Sonya would be agreeable to getting out on the water too.  I'm sure Jen would want to paddle her yak if the water wasn't too bad.

The National Park service has been building a new full-service campground just downstream from Diane's place. It's supposed to open this year. That might be an option.  Also, Jen wants to camp at Watoga State Park on the Greenbrier.  We stayed there many years ago in my old pop-up and she has wanted to go back.  KInda cool- you can shuttle yourself by using the bike trail (Greenbrier River Trail).  We did it that way the last time and it worked really well.  Pretty easy water with a lot of little smallies.

I'll bring copies of our calendar to Topdown's.  We need to make this happen.