Re: Fishing Season - Six Weeks!

Years ago, at the Chandlier Islands, I went wade phishing for speckle trout and redfish. Now, in doing this, we never used waders - just a pair of shorts and no shoes. As you would catch a fish you would put it on a 10' long stringer and tie that to a belt loop on your shorts.  The knot you would use had to be a slip knot that would come loose when a shark hit the phish you had put on the stringer. If / when a shark got after your phish you would know it as they would jerk you off your feet. And that's the reason you wore shorts without any shoes. It's much easier to pull your shorts off and wash the poop outta them than it is a pair of chest waders.

I've done this type of phishing all along the Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas coast and there's nothing like fighting a 30" trout or a big redfish while standing chest deep in water.

Nela

This is my absolute favorite Flex Seal commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17zyezuw07U

MKM, you reminded about some of the different terms we use either side of the border (soda = pop), and this commercial reminds me a gal I taught in a class years ago, who was from Philadelphia. She always said soda, and she also said "water" exactly the same way pitchman Phil Swift says it in this commercial. This one's a hoot!

28 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-03-19 14:02:20)

NELA wrote:

Years ago, at the Chandlier Islands, I went wade phishing for speckle trout and redfish. Now, in doing this, we never used waders - just a pair of shorts and no shoes. As you would catch a fish you would put it on a 10' long stringer and tie that to a belt loop on your shorts.  The knot you would use had to be a slip knot that would come loose when a shark hit the phish you had put on the stringer. If / when a shark got after your phish you would know it as they would jerk you off your feet. And that's the reason you wore shorts without any shoes. It's much easier to pull your shorts off and wash the poop outta them than it is a pair of chest waders.

I've done this type of phishing all along the Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas coast and there's nothing like fighting a 30" trout or a big redfish while standing chest deep in water.

Nela

NELA, you sure know how to tell a fishing story; and that's a beauty. I can't imagine wearing live bait on my person, while wading shark-infested waters. That's really living on the edge.

We have to wear waders and polar fleece underneath, 'cuz our water doesn't reach a comfortable temperature until at least June. It'll be barely above freezing for the first few weeks. Our trout are the freshwater species, related to either Arctic Char (our speckled trout) or Atantic Salmon (our brown trout). We do have rainbows and grey trout as well, but they're not as plentiful as the other two. The bigguns'll go the mouths of the rivers (estuaries) in the summer, to stay cool and find food, but they're not really a salt water fish like the specks you're talking about. I've seen some of those being caught on the TV fishing shows, and they're a pretty fish, for sure:

https://flyfishingextreme.com/imageGen.ashx?image=/media/102098/speckled_trout_dp.jpg&width=344&height=

I enjoy bluefin fishing. 
But the thing I most enjoy is the brunch that we prepare with a good wine and some delicatessen.

Catches are not sure,  but brunch is granted!!

Collinsone

So how did your first fishing trip go TF? 

From the time you posted this my buddy Doug and I made 4 attempts to get on our local streams but each time there was a rain or snow storm a couple days before we planned to go and the creeks were too flooded to fish. I did some floats, but didn't even bother to bring along a rod.

Finally today we made our first fishing trip.  I checked my  fishing diary and this is the latest "first float" I've done in over 15 years. (In fact in most years I've already been out a dozen times by mid April.)  The two streams we normally like to fish were still swollen so we found one with a decent flow rate about 25 miles away. We've floated it a couple times before but not in the last two years. Like many of the small  streams in my area you can easily cast from one bank to the other. Launched our kayaks about 0930 and got to the takeout about 1430.  It was a beautiful day and wildlife was active - saw an eagle, a mink, a muskrat, a couple dozen fat squirrels,  8 deer (had a couple wade across the stream in front of us) dozens of mated Canadian geese and pairs of ducks, and we passed under two heron rookeries - one with 10 nests and the other with 15. Air temps hit the 70's while the water temp barely made 50. Fishing was slow - I ended up with two-16" and one 17" smallmouth bass while Doug boated an 18" smallie and 24" drum. Still, it was a great day.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

31 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-04-16 11:26:05)

Thanks, DE!

Sounds like you guys have had some good runs already. And you've observed, there's a whole lot more to fishing than catching fish!

Been out a couple of times since April began, with stellar results on April 1-2. First off, conditions were horrible, i.e., pouring rain, high fast water, and heavy winds ... no fun with a fly rod. Even with a couple layers of polar fleece under our waders, the cold water (barely above freezing) was biting our legs, and it was dangerous wading. Despite that, we caught +/- 30 speckled trout, and I even caught a small Atlantic Salmon. All were safely released except for a couple trout we each took home for a meal.

We got a bit pompous, as the few other anglers we came across reported having been skunked. I said to my buddy Greg: "Do you know why we caught fish and no one else did? 'Cuz we got skills! lol In fact, we were using Type III sink-tip lines, so were able to get our "flies" (Grey Ghosts, Wooly Buggers, etc.) down to where the fish were holding.

Had planned an outing today, but the winds are very high, and there was a fair bit of snow yesterday and last night in the area we'd planned to go.

Fly Rod fishing, huh? Man, I don't have the patience for that, sorry guys. My brother took me once and I sat there squirming while he got one of those "fly lures" like y'all use ready and that took a good twenty minutes. All this while I was wishing I was anyplace else but there ------- BUT --------............

........then me and my bro started talking to each other - just he and I - and it was the best 4 hours I had ever spent with my little bro in our LIVES, man! We got a LOT of things sorted out and got a lot closer in the process, so YAY, FLY FISHIN'. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

33 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-04-16 21:14:51)

I'm not one of those snooty fly fisherman that looks down their nose at folks who don't fly fish ... just the opposite.

I've got spinning gear and baitcasters also, and there a times, conditions, and species where they are the best choice to be successful. But for trout fishing (brookies, browns, and rainbows) flies usually out-perform everything else consistently, so that's my first choice. Trout usually prefer to feed on bugs on top of the water, and will usually ignore everything else if there's a hatch on (Stoneflies, Mayflies, Caddis, etc.). But I wouldn't think of going smallmouth bass fishing without Senkos, flukes, tubes & grubs, stickbaits, or poppers. And as far as speed goes, I can change a fly as quick as I can bait a hook ... not much to it, really.

Additionally, I prefer to release most of what I catch. Live bait makes most fish swallow, so they get hooked deep and mortally injured. A fly generally doesn't make it past the outer rim of their mouth (cartilage) so they can be released without harm, and no blood to attract larger predators. I also prefer not to keep larger females, as they are the egg producers that maintain the population. I don't judge anyone who wishes to keep a bigger catch, and love a feed o' fish as much as anyone.

Just a few personal choices I'm comfortable with ... nothing more.

Going in the morning. Due to weather, doctor's appointments, honey do's and several other unplanned thangs that have come up it's been about 2 weeks since I been out on the water. Gotta get out an do a little cleaning of the boat, changing out tackle other prep work, today, and I'll be ready. Why is it that you look so forward to going phishing, enjoy being out on the water, fresh air / sunshine, nature at it's finest but when you get home you are exhausted? My retirement plans are to get myself scheduled to where I can phish Monday, Wednesday and Friday, clean phish, prep tackle and maintain boat on Tuesday, Thursday and half of Saturday.  Saturday nite, I'll take the Mrs out to dinner, play a little music, maybe get lucky and Sunday will devoted to restin' and other family duties. Sounds like a plan to me.

Tied me up several 1/64 oz hair jigs, in various colors, yesterday with the plans of tryin' something new. Got a lake nearby that has Coppernose Bluegill in it. From the info I've got they are beginning to stage up for the spawn. Gonna see if I can find them with my side-scan graph and work on them, If you ain't familar with these brim they can, an do, grow to be huge. One pounders are common and you can expect a few in the 2 pound range.

nela

The small, spit-across local stream that my buddy Doug and I anticipate floating each spring was expected to be perfect today.  We've fished it as low as 70 cfs and as high as 350 cfs as anything above that flow flushes out the eddies and makes it hard to float and fish.  Ideally the flow should be about 140-170 cfs.  Today the air temps were to hit mid 70's, water temps approach mid 50's  and the flow had been holding at 160 cfs since yesterday afternoon - absolutely the perfect conditions to thumb some big smallmouth bass while floating through one of the most beautiful rock gorges in southern Ohio.  It was also the only stream in a 40 mile radius that wasn't running several times its normal flow due to recent rains.

I woke up before daylight, loaded my yak and gear into the back of my truck, added a few extra 5" green pumpkin grubs to my tackle bag and waited on Doug to call while I made some breakfast. He called and told me he was expecting a guy to stop by to pick up a kayak he'd sold and he would be about an hour later than usual. I couldn't stand it and made the 1/2 hour drive to the take-out where we usually meet, thinking I'd also drive to a couple of the access points and check the flow before he arrived.  When I got to the takeout there were several  vehicles parked there as well as at the place we normally put in.  I didn't see any boaters but the stream appeared to be a lot higher than the expected 160 cfs.  I went back downstream and waited for Doug to show up.  A few more vehicles pulled in and I found out that a whitewater paddling club from Dayton had requested a 900 cfs release from the dam so they would have a good level to teach their newbies to play in the small rapids in the gorge. The release would last most of the day and ruin any chance to fish.

When Doug pulled up and I told him the story, we must have looked like two 8 year-olds that had just been told that Christmas was cancelled.  The good news was Doug treated me to lunch at a local diner before we went back home.  He's planning to take a couple mid-week vacation days if the levels are good next week.  Hopefully we can still get on the creek while the conditions are perfect.

DE

That sounds about how fishing goes for Roger and Me, Dirty Ed.  It's not too uncommon for us to wind up at our favorite winery sipping on some red wine and fishing their lake.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

That sounds about how fishing goes for Roger and Me, Dirty Ed.  It's not too uncommon for us to wind up at our favorite winery sipping on some red wine and fishing their lake.

I don't lake fish much but I do get an occasional case of the "reds" and I've been known to whine a lot......

Englishman John and Hersch are trying to put together a river smallies gathering in VA (probably on the Doah).  If it works out maybe we can wet a line together this summer.

DE

Shenandoah would be fun. I'm not on RS  much anymore, but will give Hersch a call and check their timing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

39 (edited by Baldguitardude 2016-04-18 23:17:35)

This weekend is it for me! Boys trip, three days and two nights of canoeing, camping and line wetting.

We are putting in on the Colorado River just a tad bit underneath the Hoover Dam and floating 8 miles down river. It can be done in a day, so we are going to find the best camp spot we can, lay down camp and commence with the fishing!

Sunday AM we pack up and head back to reality.

One of my favorite parts of camping is cooking outside. I don't particularly care if I catch anything so long as I can spend time with friends and cook over a fire. A nice cat or striper would be fantastic but definitely not required for the weekend to be a success.

Thanks to Zurf for your advice as we planned this!

Wish us luck! Here are some pics of the striper in this particular stretch of river. Monsters.
http://www.riverlakes.com/images/AnglersEdge.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XMmF4Q2H_Dc/hqdefault.jpg

40 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-04-19 00:11:21)

Those are some terrific stripers, BGD!

I started fishing them with a 9wt fly rod about 10 years ago, and it's like playing tug o' war with a Pit Bull. When they get that thick, wide body side-on in the current, it's all I can do to budge them. Have a great trip, and stay safe!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/76uF3HDK1mUJfREfdc9wc4SJf0Z-w-USYLFmhoqnfHQuP5NhRsfsa821dzDSUhNDOYncEDne_xiCye05mYSjMeg8tCixtjvLTQxvHNBfRSX0IGDYh403v3x3eofe98EPVt2mehZk-pIvoazfljeEKZNO8DulEUo6szaM0lzWQqDepp-AB9y02gu4O_vaVpuc3H2wRat_JtfRHc5Po7Nwd3zouAM2lTg9JewtAcCLE1TO8WL_5dSsC52z6iKuvB-jjWSogt_C1vegg7B9QWlNyGePjmSjJBjJDbR-34aVEOl8Zai9I8-bEqkjdpsoRakuhYJYsEqTA-0IXbWSc4ajQupsqbjy9rG1xpCHS0tFN1o8e7-qHKfzblkgzxaBtGa_L-DhTiNnz8CxY-6-U1n4wNwZ9nivsRvhKuJvf5QEB7VnUj-vFQpyYv7CoySWZ5O0_W2LaRR0vcbo2gLAzgmRnY-9_ovc3vAvMC-9wNHvIKZI0I-vBUvXwuGNt6bww_pfw60dIyJUqYrVaAeDBU_G0kQwHqgC6BxHdGNu57rY2ZbQN5iH98JLxZwczn2Jt7ed8rs=w384-h288-no

Me n my buddy went yesterday. Brought home 50 nice channel cats all cleaned and filleted, ready for cookin'. We got to the lake, caught our bait (shad) and went to work on them with ultra lite tack;e. Nothing huge but most were 2 to 3 pound range with a few near 5 pounds. The carp are spawning, against the banks, and the catfish are there feeding on their eggs. Funny thing though, as we were in the "fish house" cleaning our catch several other fishermen came in that were "skunked" or had caught only a few fish and those were small.
Anyway, good day to be above the ground.

Nela