Topic: Insurance for Musicians and their equipment

Has anyone out there in chordieland ever heard of insurance available for musicians and their equipment while playing a gig? Also, is it a reasonably good idea to get bonded while playing at public places or in private establishments to cover liabilities which may arise during the course of playing a gig? Just interested...

Re: Insurance for Musicians and their equipment

When I lived in an apartment my apartment ins covered it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That certainly sounds like a good idea to me KevinRK!  I don't play out, personally.  If I did though, I'd be concerned about equipment possibly getting ruined and wouldn't want to count on someone ELSE's insurance covering me.  Can you imagine a bar fight gone wrong?  Some moron spilling beer on your sound board?  AHH!  Someone in here's got to have some suggestions.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There's a whole lotta companies who write insurance for your musical instruments. If you have home owners or apartment rental insurance check your policy to make sure they are covered - sometimes they are excluded. If you have home owners or rental insurance that does not mean your instruments are covered while out playing a gig somewhere. That's a different kind of insurance and you need a separate policy. Also, if you are playing out at a open mic or a gig you never carry your $2000.00+ Martin or Gibson with you. You get yourself a GOOD beater and use that. There are a lotta $300 to $500 guitars that can sound almost as good as an expensive guitar. Playing out with a expensive guitar is for the professionals or for someone just to show off. Think of the enviroment  you will be playing in. As for insurance for your instruments you just need to check around, Make sure your policy covers your home, travel, use at a gig or anywhere else you may be playing.

Nela

Lots of time your homeowners, renters or auto policy will cover it. Call them first.

I appreciate all the response to my question about insurance.  A couple of you really had some good input and gave me some incentive to further researching my concerns. One thing I don’t suppose was considered, and what I think would certainly merit thought is, for instance, you’re on a 10 minute break and someone walks up to the equipment and destroys some of the venue’s furnishings with it! Of course, they have insurance, but the venue's argument might be that had my equipment not been there it wouldn’t have happened. That made me think of the “bonding” aspect of coverage. I’ll certainly look into it, and if I find a particular element that would take in all considerations I’ll let chordie folks know about it. Thanks again for all of you and your wonderful direction.

KevinRK wrote:

I appreciate all the response to my question about insurance.  A couple of you really had some good input and gave me some incentive to further researching my concerns. One thing I don’t suppose was considered, and what I think would certainly merit thought is, for instance, you’re on a 10 minute break and someone walks up to the equipment and destroys some of the venue’s furnishings with it! Of course, they have insurance, but the venue's argument might be that had my equipment not been there it wouldn’t have happened. That made me think of the “bonding” aspect of coverage. I’ll certainly look into it, and if I find a particular element that would take in all considerations I’ll let chordie folks know about it. Thanks again for all of you and your wonderful direction.

You got me curious, not that I have a need to be, but still.  LOL!  I live in a "law happy" state (NY). 

It looks like liability insurance is highly suggested, and might even be required by some venues you may play at.  Here's an interesting article: http://performermag.com/music-business- … insurance/  I bet most bands playing anywhere other than the corner bar in NY have to have some liability insurance.

As for insuring your OWN instruments, there are options.  This site states the insurance is written by Hanover Ins. group - that's a name I've heard before, and the cost doesn't seem too terribly high. I have no clue if they're any good, but something to consider and may be cheaper than bonding (in my experience, bonding is BETTER but way more expensive - though that's coming from the viewpoint of having malpractice insurance in the hair/cosmetology industry):  https://www.musicproinsurance.com/pages … dEquipment - Supposedly they even cover under "acts of God" which sounds fishy to me. That's not too common in insurance.  I'm not recommending this, it's just something I found for referencewink 

You may even want to talk to whomever handles your homeowners or vehicle insurance to see if they have something they could write up for you! A rider to a homeowners policy might be possible for cheaper than just insuring specific instruments when away from home separately.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

8 (edited by NELA 2016-03-20 14:17:40)

Per my insurance agent homeowners or renters insurance will only cover musical insurance while they are in the home. and the you may need to have an additional ryder stating make / model / serial number. Auto insurance covers while your instruments traveling and again you need to a ryder on them. If you are getting paid to play out somewhere you need a separate policy covering your instruments. Sometimes. when playing out, the venue will provide the coverage BUT you need to ask what is covered and what are the limits of their policy.  If you are playing out and you know the crowd can get a little "frisky" why do you want to carry your best / most expensive guitar. Get yourself a good "beater" and use that. In a crowded bar a good $300 to $500 beater will sound just as good in that enviroment as an expensive Martin or Gibson. Do your homework on insurance coverage for musical instruments - not all policies are good policies.

nela

I just don't own any guitars that need insuring...  smile

I guess the banjo does, which is odd.  Nicest thing I own is a banjo.   I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

bottom line like they said above... ASK your insurer about what and where it is covered... and ask what the deductible is.... it may be $500 so it may make you think about it.

Gene Maarkr is a studio artist with 6 albums released on Bandcamp, iTunes, Amazon, and many others.  His work is well know throughout the world, writing and recording original songs in different styles including Country, Pop, Indie, Trance, and Rock.

A Banjo? Say it ain't so, Jerome.

Nela