Topic: He's Done It Again

My mate Richard has just got another new baby. A 12er Ric this time and it is being left to me in his will.

Anyone know a hitman? lol

Roger

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1501/26366397955_d9b57e0f28_b.jpg

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: He's Done It Again

Roger
That is a beauty !

If i were your friend, I'd hire a food tester when he comes to your house for dinner!
smile  smile  smile

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Beauty.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Guitar looks great, not sure about the shirt it looks like a tablecloth lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

So how did that "A" chord sound? Beautiful guitar.

nela

looks like the kinda guitar i'd kill for. personally i like the shirt.....not

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

She is not as easy to play as my other 12ers. The neck is narrower and deeper that I am used to also with having the heaver string first it is easy to miss playing the lighter one. The narrow neck and string position also makes finger picking difficult.

He has said he will loan it to me for a few days next week so I can familiarise myself with her.

Roger

OK I will ditch the shirt..... big_smile

Great looking guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

point of interest here; i always thought the heavy string was supposed to be first lighter second. am i wrong?

the mistake i made on my 12er was buying a heavy gauge string set and i'm too tight to dump them and buy a new lighter set!

10 (edited by TIGLJK 2016-04-12 00:22:53)

On my fender the heavy string is second

http://share.pho.to/A6gZK

http://share.pho.to/A6gZU

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

That's a such a beautiful guitar, that I didn't even notice your shirt until I read the other posts. A guy just can't catch a break around here, can he? lol

That is a beast of a guitar! Man is it pretty!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

That reverse string position is what gives the Ricks the sound we crave.  It is why Petty wanted one, so he could get that Byrds tone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

14 (edited by NELA 2016-04-12 13:31:01)

Most 12 stringers have the octave strings below the regular ones. Ric's were designed differently as the strings are reversed. On older 12'ers heavier strings caused many problems when strung with them (bowed necks / lifting bridges, etc.). With heavier strings I would tune down at least 1 whole step then capo 2nd fret to bring back to standard. This would be better for the guitar neck and easier on the fingers. I use Earthwood Lites 9/42's on my K Yairi and it plays like budder.

nela

Nela I have a 70's 12er here and an 80's built one in the UK both are standard tuned and the necks are absolutely true and the action very low. Barre chord up the fretboard are no problem on either of them and neither is an expensive, well known made. In my opinion any 12er that has to be tuned down is poorly designed and made.

Yo try and clarify the confusion here. The normal 12er string configuration is that, on a down stroke,  you play the thinner octave string before the normally tuned one. Rickenbacker reversed that and you play the normal low E before the octave higher one.

Roger

I had an Ecko 12er back in the 70's which I swapped for my first bass, which I bought new, and I'm sure it came heavy, light heavy. Maybe I'm wrong?