Topic: Clamp mobile device to guitar stand?

Hey!  So Jim had a good idea, especially for the backyard.  He wants something that he can use to hold his iPhone 6s out back, clamping it to the guitar stand itself would be handy. Now, I still personally use my printed pages, but he's getting all techie on me these days.  wink 

I was looking at all sorts of clamps and options, then thought... wait a minute!  Isn't the tubing on the guitar stand similar to that of a mic stand?  They seem to make those types of clamps better than the standard "clamp to a desk or headboard or anywhere" type clamps. 

Anyone ever try it?  Any ideas on the topic or suggestions?  I'm thinking it SHOULD work, as long as the thing has some type of rotation and maybe a position-able neck on it.  Right?  Of course, I also got a little sidetracked and thought about one of those trays for mic stands for my binder too.  So, ideas on both would be awesome!  I usually just find a little table for my binder and use clothespins to keep my pages from flipping in the wind.  Something that clamps to the guitar stand, that's coming along anyway, would be a good idea!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Clamp mobile device to guitar stand?

Guitar stands are also about the same diameter as handle bars, and there are bike mount thingies for phones and such.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by Zurf 2016-05-10 18:16:25)

He could also put a clamp that hangs off his baseball hat brim and his phone would look as big as a movie screen while he plays.  It could be distracting.  You know, maybe.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

don't use it while you are playing you should not be a slave too a phone

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-05-11 04:37:18)

dino48 wrote:

".....you should not be a slave too a phone"

I'm gonna start paying closer attention to what you write from now on, Dinosmile

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

dino48 wrote:

don't use it while you are playing you should not be a slave too a phone

I agree.

I would never look down on anyone that chooses to have their music in front of them. Members of an orchestra do it all the time and it's perfectly acceptable. It's just not for me. I would rather learn the song.

unclejoesband wrote:

I would rather learn the song.

Sometimes refreshments get in the way of my memory even when I have learned the song.  Given that both Jim and I had very large coffee cups at your place, and neither of us was drinking coffee, I suspect sometimes Jim suffers from the same affliction.

you can get some Velcro strips at most hardware stores.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-05-11 18:37:28)

They have these gadgets for $40 - $50 in most music stores:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklipxpand/

Like UJB, I feel it's best to truly learn the song. However, there are times when the guitar work is so complex, that trying to keep vocals flowing while playing it at the same time is overwhelming. And I'm talking about songs I've been playing for 20 - 30 years. I can play Led Zeppelin's "Over the Hills and Far Away" through quite well, and know the lyrics by heart. Putting the opening acoustic section together with singing at the same time is a challenge I haven't quite been able to master.

If a device like this can free up some brain cells and improve the performance ... why not?'

Yeahhhhhhh... I hear what you guys are saying about learning stuff and memorizing it and all that goodness. I think the issue is that 99% of the time that backyard picking happens (and this is myself not just Jim), there are also big coffee cups like Zurf described.  wink  This can be a major issue in being capable of a simple chord progression along with remembering words at the same time.  smile  Plus, if you've met my dad, I have another good excuse.  We simply can NOT remember all the verses to any song.  It's in our blood (thanks for the excuse Dad).  It's common for him to "memorize" songs and play them, and for me to sing along and correct his verses (while looking at the lyrics).  This has been going on since I can remember (like, for OVER 30 years).  I don't know what Jim's 2nd excuse is, except he usually has a bigger coffee cup than I do .  big_smile

Zurf - hmmmm... now I must look up bicycle attachments for phones.  Wonder if they have one for binders too?  LOL!  I can't imagine someone riding a bike and reading from a binder though.  I think that the hat might be an issue for him, as it would look too dorky.  I remember a similar conversation about dorkiness a few years ago while discussing headlamps. I now keep one in my guitar case at all times. 

Dino - Not a slave to a phone, just in lieu of a binder full of songs.  wink  Though memorization is certainly another option.  And... VELCRO!  That's too easy!  I even have that on hand, along with construction grade adhesive!  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.