1 (edited by mekidsmom 2016-05-19 09:44:35)

Topic: MAY 2016 - Featured Song - Ode to Billy Joe - Bobbie Gentry

Edit by Mekidsmom:
This is the thread that started it all, from conception to birth of the Featured Song Of The Month Forum!  Please see the sticky at the top of this section for more details on how to participate!  Add your version of this song - Ode to Billy Joe - as a reply in this thread, visit the June Song of the Month thread to see what song is coming up and get practicing, and add your suggestions to the July thread! 

Hi everyone,
I was just thinking how a lot of the songs we do on here are originals, or covers of people on chordie who write their own songs, brillant and i am loving it.

I wondered though just for fun, if everyone or anyone was interested in us all doing one cover from a famous known singer, or group .............see what we can come up with............ smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Re: MAY 2016 - Featured Song - Ode to Billy Joe - Bobbie Gentry

"Well, I saw her today at the reception......"  We need a lead and then the rest of us can just do the aaaahhs.

I'm only kidding, but that's a great idea, Jan! Why don't you be in charge of that? wink

Maybe start with something simple just to practice?

"Ba-Ba-Ba --- Ba-Barbra Ann...... etc.

Yeah, I'd love doing something like that. Nice idea, Jan!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Jan
count me in,but forget the famous bit.
the best songs are by unknowns.
What we gonna cover?

The King Of Audio Torture

Jandle wrote:

Hi everyone,
I was just thinking how a lot of the songs we do on here are originals, or covers of people on chordie who write their own songs, brillant and i am loving it.

I wondered though just for fun, if everyone or anyone was interested in us all doing one cover from a famous known singer, or group .............see what we can come up with............ smile

Great idea Jan. Since it is your idea, I think it would be appropriate if you picked the first song.

If I may make a suggestion; why don't you start a new thread in the "My local band and me" forum and use the title of the song as the thread title. It will be easier for folks to find.

Music to me has no wrongs or rights. I think what matters is are people having fun. The best covers to me are those done by people who feel the songs deep down when doing them. Also I love the way a song that fits one style such as country becomes a soul song when done by another artist. Look forward to  hearing what the gifted talented people on here come up with. Jandle your voice can make any song sound great.

StrummerboyBill, great glad you approve smile  and yep i think we can either do solo performances OR do performances together somehow either tape over each other OR whoever wants to get together to perform something.  Looking forward to it smile

Easybeat, great glad your keen, we can email some ideas to each other and get together to record something maybe aye? Peatle might like to join us as well, some kind of guitar/drum/uke sing along happening wink

unclejoesband, great glad you like the idea too smile  I have one ready to go, just need to re-record it because just as i was on the last line of the song, my son walked into the room and in a big loud voice was talking away to me ........ he didn't realize i was recording lol, so that was the end of that one!  Got to re-do it, hopefully today, but just waiting until i have the house to myself so no noises from the others in the house smile  Also good idea, i will put this into My local band and me section once i have recorded it smile

Peatle Jville, great, hope you will do one too or join in with easybeat and me and do one smile

Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I know all about those noises when you're trying to record. When I was trying to record "39" a few weeks ago the first interruption was the phone ringing. I started over and one of the dogs decided to bark. I have one I'm going to do tomorrow when the house is empty. I may just put the dogs outside and unplug the phone. smile

unclejoesband wrote:

I know all about those noises when you're trying to record. When I was trying to record "39" a few weeks ago the first interruption was the phone ringing. I started over and one of the dogs decided to bark. I have one I'm going to do tomorrow when the house is empty. I may just put the dogs outside and unplug the phone. smile

unclejoesband .......... sounds like my household!  Exactly the same thing has happened to me whilst recording some of my other songs, the phone, the dog (many times), tui birds (they can be really noisy) and they sit right outside my window in the tree there (hence where i got the song Tui that i wrote) and because there is public walk way right by our house, skate board, bicycle, runners, babies/toddlers in prams, pushchairs sometimes crying ......the list goes on lol smile

WE do obscure covers so no one can tell we are messing them up! LOL, more truth than joke though.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer,  that`s the beauty of it, even with covers we can try and  perform it as near too as the original or NOT lol, put your own stamp on it if you want smile

Bring it on,what song Jandle.
I`ll have a crack @ anything.

Ok everyone, I have done one today, a very quick take on a cover and it is up on Sound cloud.  I would like to perfect it a bit more when i have more time but heading out now and thought i would get something up to start us all off.  I messed up the end  on this one but as i said have run out of time to record another just yet.

Have a listen:  Ode to Billy Joe ......original by Bobbie Gentry ....... as usual on my ukulele .........i would love to have a drum beat with one too.

https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan/ode-t … e-covermp3

easybeat, definately looking forward to it,  i will email you tomorrow with a couple of possible idea`s  but shush not on here ............it will be a surprise lol smile

unclejoesband,   i was wondering if to start a new thread or just get you or a moderator to move this into My Local Band and Me so we can keep the context of the conversations so people know what we are doing?

Jan

Wow!  Just Wow!

You have the same voicing abilities of Bobbie Gentry.....  If someone said this was an early version performed by Gentry, I would have believed it 100%!

I would love to do a cover, but I am not a musician, - can't sing, barely play.However, I  AM REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO LISTENING TO ALL THE VERSIONS OF THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE TALENTED PERFORMERS!!!!

Go for it Guys & Gals - I think this is a really cool idea.
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Nice job JAN! 

hey all... something new coming at you soon in the forums (hint, look at Jan's profile title)  wink wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

TIGLJK wrote:

Jan

Wow!  Just Wow!

X2!!

That was incredible! You're setting the bar pretty high for the rest of us. Not sure I want to follow that.  smile

18 (edited by Jandle 2016-05-17 09:08:14)

Tigljk .......  aww thanks a bunch for your comments smile   Jim you can sing and play guitar and  i am so looking forward to hearing you do some.  A suggestion and maybe suggest it is  Bob Dylan songs, you would nail them!

mekidsmom ........ glad you liked it and thanks for the hinted comment too smile

unclejoesband ......thanks so much smile   Looking forward to hearing you all do a version of it ...... you too  smile

Jandle you have set the bar high your cover hits all the right spots. Pure Magic.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Jandle you have set the bar high your cover hits all the right spots. Pure Magic.

Thanks Peatle, i enjoyed playing that song.  Love to hear you have a go at it and some of the others smile

Hi Jandal I put a cover up on soundcloud just  my version of a Bob Dylan song .  It is not as good as what you have done.

22 (edited by Jandle 2016-05-17 09:07:38)

Peatle Jville wrote:

Hi Jandal I put a cover up on soundcloud just  my version of a Bob Dylan song .  It is not as good as what you have done.

Peatle ........ well done, you have done a great job of that Dylan song and a very meaningful song it is too.  So awesome you joined in smile 
PS: i am now going to correct my terrible spelling of Dylans surname on my earlier post ....... I must have been having a" moment" with my spelling (Dillon duh) lol

Great job Jan - I love this song and you did it justice.

Question - as the inaugural "Song of the month" Shouldn't this thread be moved over to that forum?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

24 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-05-18 06:40:27)

Jan

This is wonderfully and righteously performed. (For those who don't know, I only use the word "righteous", if a song makes me have chill bumps listening to it)

We both could not believe when I played it for Dondra and she wants to me to pass along that she's a fan of yours as well as she loves all the rest of the "Chordie Family".

As for me, I sure would like to add some soft brushes on my snare drum if I could add my contribution that way. I know for a fact that we have plenty of guitarists here who (along with you) could sure do that song up right with the respect it deserves.

Great, Jan!  Just great! smile

Your friends

Bill and Dondra

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Gidday Jan
not many chordians have taken you up on the idea.
Thats a shame as i think it`s a great idea challenging others to have a crack @ a nominated song.
So i`ve banged a version out.
It`s nothing like yours at all,i like to take a song somewhere  else.
I did a kinda swamp rock feel to it