Topic: Need Uke Players Input

My youngest grand daughter (12 years old) expressed an interest in learning to play the ukulele.  (Her older sister plays piano and brother plays guitar).  She got a cheap soprano Amahi for Christmas but is frustrated because it goes out of tune easily and does not sound very good.  I've decided to buy her a better soprano uke for her upcoming birthday.  I know nothing about the instrument but have been checking youtube videos, looking at ebay price ranges, etc.  Do any of you chordie ukulele players have suggestions for a decent instrument in the $100-$150 range?

Thanks,

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Need Uke Players Input

Gidday Ed.
Yeah i play a bit of social uke.
I think a concert or even tenor size are better.
It`s more of an instrument less a toy.
most ukes are good but you get what u pay for.
i`d stay away from the cheapest ones though
as a beginners needs to have a fair shot @ learning.
If u buy a good uke @ least it is saleable later if
it gets grown out of or not used.

The King Of Audio Torture

Hi Dirty Ed, 
I would suggest for your granddaughter a nice Kala for around that price, you can get a Kala in a normal size or a thin travel size..

Another good brand for ukulele is Lanikai,  (they make a nice tenor too if you wanted to go to a bigger ukulele).

Personally i play mostly soprano or concert size ukulele`s, concert size being my favourite size. 

STRINGS:  Often though as well as a good ukulele to begin with, the main thing is getting decent strings put on.......Aquila strings are excellent for ukulele`s.
smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Jandle wrote:

Hi Dirty Ed, 
I would suggest for your granddaughter a nice Kala for around that price, you can get a Kala in a normal size or a thin travel size..

Another good brand for ukulele is Lanikai,  (they make a nice tenor too if you wanted to go to a bigger ukulele).

Personally i play mostly soprano or concert size ukulele`s, concert size being my favourite size. 

STRINGS:  Often though as well as a good ukulele to begin with, the main thing is getting decent strings put on.......Aquila strings are excellent for ukulele`s.
smile

Thanks Jandle, that's good info.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I agree with the tenor statements, and ukes in particular are subject to quality problems.   The cheap ones *are* toys.  Spend a couple of hundred to buy her a decent Lanikai or Kala instrument.  It will be worth the extra scratch in the end.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Dirty Ed, your very welcome smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Also, the strings always get out of tune really fast in the beginning!
Even with a good uke and new strings! It will take a few weeks before the stay tuned.
I play the uke, and I learned a lot from the (free) app "Yousician".

Why dont you take a look at a baritone uke, the tunning is the same as that of a guitar DGBE, that way her brother would be able to help her along the way. I have a Kala baritone uke that i just love to play, am teaching myself slowly but iam getting there. Well done for encouraging your grand children to play music it is a wonderful asset to have in their life.

Soiled Eduardo - My eldest is interested in ukelele.  She saved up her money and bought her own. She had me take her to every music store in the area and tried out their ukes listening for the precise sound she was going for.  She tried the Kala and Lanakai's, and while they had the traditional uke sound, they didn't satisfy her.  She selected a full mahogony Luna.  It is a beautiful to look at instrument and has a fantastic warm sound.  Like all Luna's instruments, it appears to be well constructed. There was variation within the model, so she tried several of the model and picked the specific one that had the tone she wanted.

The strings are full nylon and do stretch.  Ukes require frequent tuning.  Buy her a tuner when you're buying. Erich Andreas, the guy from YourGuitarSage.com, has a ukelele e-book available on Amazon.  I got that for my daughter as well, and a chord chart for her to learn how to finger the chords. 

I agree with the tenor or concert ukes vs. the soprano uke. 

While baritone ukes are interesting, I'd think at that point just buy a nylon strung guitar.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I don't know about ukes at all, but they have some pretty cool looking ones at my favorite music store. Thought about getting one to toy with,, but then I think why not a mandolin or short scale travel guitar LOL  DE I know you will get her a great selection no matter what.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

11 (edited by beamer 2017-03-11 00:31:35)

DE I found the perfect one!   https://www.amazon.com/Dean-UKE-ML-SPR- … ds=dean+ml

She will be the coolest kid in school with this!
here is the top quote from amazon:

very pleased, this instrument had no issues
Byjohn t.on November 13, 2016
Verified Purchase
I have a few ukuleles and most need some set up, I was very pleased, this instrument had no issues, no sharp frets,strings not up to high, and it's put together very well. Think it's a laminated body, or I would have given it 5 stars,, Dimebag Darrell would be proud of this little beauty

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

12 (edited by TIGLJK 2017-03-17 20:06:44)

Not a UKE.... but I though I'd just through this out there.......................................

Gibson 120th Anniversary F-5 Mandolin Black

A real bargain @ $19,999.00 ..........       on Amazon you get  FREE Shipping wink
Who could turn down that deal ??  smile
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r566/JK072652/Gibson%20Mandolin_zps55ho8qwb.jpg

I was thinking if you can afford this one, the shipping won't be much of a problem unless it's intergalactic travel.:)

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Dirty Ed ;   For the money ($120, or so), a really good find is the Oscar Schmidt OU2. Made in Indonesia keeps the price low, and a subsidiary of Washburn keeps the quality up. I've had one for years, stays in tune, and has acquired a beautiful patina.When inspecting a uke, go right to the tuning keys - on a cheap uke, that's all that matters. Don't overtink it -have fun! My dog has fleas. Oh and resist DGBE tuning, go with traditional GCEA. You'll get that lilting plincky plunck strum, it's a smiling thing. Chord fingering is easy. Ukes are way fun, go get one!

I realize I'm coming across this thread a number of months after the fact, but if you think your daughter (assuming she's still interested in playing) might want to move up to a guitar in the future, getting her a Baritone Uke might be a good way to go.  The Baritone is tuned like the 1-2-3-4 strings of a Guitar, so you learn to think guitar chording, as opposed to the GCEA of the ukulele. 

Happy Uking!