Re: Thursday's Quirky Singer-Songwriters

Ana Egge:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLvDRD2khMg

Canadian born, American singer songwriter who apprenticed with a luthier as a teenager and built the guitar she plays exclusively.  She also plays mandolin, bottleneck slide guitar and piano during her live performances.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

52 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-06-24 10:05:22)

Now that's cool ...

A whole bunch of creativity with some basic instruments. Love it! She's got a super voice, and that amazing groove on the standup bass moves it all along so smoothly. Gotta say, MKM, I'm really loving your choices in this weekly feature. Thanks for stepping up and staying with it.

I'm back!  I'd like to bring you something a little interesting!  Sometimes, we get used to seeing certain faces.  Actors and actresses.  But then, happen upon some music of theirs and sit there wondering.... WHAT THE HECK is that person doing acting?

Well, I think the fact is, they make more money at it and can't do as well with the fun folksie songs.  But that's just my theory. 

Without further rambling, Kathleen Wilhoite, well known actress with a few of her originals here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CkUDTLeKv8

Some poeple embody talent on a bunch of different fronts, and Kathleen is certainly one of them. Great share, MKM ... thank-you!

As is typical, I go a good few weeks then leave ya'll hanging.  It's Saturday, but hey, better late than never right?  So - I've got for you a pop artist that's pretty well known for her upbeat retro style music.  Meghan Trainor.  She started writing when she was just 11.  She's made some super popular songs because she has an AMAZING voice.  She's popular with my little girls - they just change the words a little.  wink  This song, she actually started writing when she was much younger and it was originally titled, "Give me a Chance".

She even avoided her fame because she was concerned about her size.  She's co-written a slew of famous songs over the years for well known recording artists. She finally gave in, and after she got her BIG record deal, "Give me a Chance" was rewritten and is an ode to being who you are!  You may not have a perfect body, but hey, that's seriously ok!

All About that Bass - acoustic version!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbeZ5lMtTr8

I liked it Amy had a good beat too it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

This is really good, MKM.

I didn't quite follow what you were saying about her size, but I'll guess she became concerned about her appearance at some point? It's too bad that musicians get assessed as much (or more) for their appearance than they do their music. Anne Wilson (Heart) was often abused by the media because of her size, but who cares? There have been few women ever with a voice to compare to hers, and I think Ms. Trainor's talent also stands on its own merit.

Yep TF - from looking at her, I'd say she's probably a size 12-14. Being in the public eye, I guess she was worried that she'd get all kinds of negativity over her weight.  Compared to "most" singers, I guess she's a little heavy.  Compared to most women she's about average.  As a woman, I've paid attention to the "size ideals" over the years.  It's crazy how society has gone through extremes on what type of size/body style is considered appropriate or even attractive.  I agree - her size has nothing to do with her musical talent.  Anne Wilson is a perfect example.  Very well put!  Marilyn Monroe was somewhere between a size 10-12, and she was a beauty icon.  Now a days it seems a size 2 is "in".  Meh... If I were a size 2, I'd blow away in the wind!  ha ha ha!

Not a female... but a find from 2006, the not yet famous Jason Mraz playing acoustic and unplugged in a book store.  smile  There's 50 minutes of music here.  This is what I'll be listening to today while cleaning house.  He's always impressed me, as a guitar player, singer, human being.  smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOhnGl6zEg

Jason has a big following and is one of my favorite modern day artists He is also an avocado farmer. Exellent choice. I played a couple of times with his cosin  andy maraz.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Nice, very nice indeed!

A "random act of music" in an unexpected place, at an unexpected time. This reminded me of times when my wife and I would wander downtown Halifax on summer's evenings, and listen to the various buskers performing. We once saw four guys coming off their shift at the dockyard, and they spontaneously broke into a couple of barbershop quartet pieces, while waiting for the Halifax Harbour ferry. We were always amazed at how much talent was around, and once in a while a well-known musician would be out playing casually ... just because.

This video brings back some of those great memories ... thanks so much, MKM!

I love it... it's the best music when musicians are just starting out...everything is from the heart and not for money.
Thanks for sharing Amy, I enjoyed it immensely !  I swear - if I was really good, I would go around and play for people for free just for fun.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I've been neglecting you all for a while... and today is not Thursday!  Ahhhh!  Alas, the moment has encouraged me to share.

If you're not in the US, it's entirely possible you haven't heard yet of Grace VanderWaal.  However, if you are in the US and you don't watch TV or go on the internet a lot you may not have heard of her either.  I suppose.  This little girl is only 12 - and is AMAZING!  She's inspired my own 11 year old to write songs and learn the Uke.  In fact... my daughter is too writing a song for her sister right now, because of Grace's song here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2JFo_Q-0NA 

Enjoy.  Get goosebumps.  She's insanely amazing.

64 (edited by dino48 2016-09-13 00:54:44)

Good choice Amy shes really good.Amy you might want too check out The Elvin Bishop band ,hes great and dresses funney has crazy eyes. He had two hit songs Fooled around and fell in love and Travling shoes. he would fit in your post.I saw him and Boz Scages about once a month at a close to my house.

Nice to have you back in the weekly column, MKM. And Ms. VanderWaal is a cute kid with a bunch of talent ... nice choice.

She won the competition!  smile  Amazing kid!  I didn't find anything new... crazy busy work lately, talking on the phone and all.  So I haven't been able to just listen to music while working and find all these gems.  When I get done with work, I close the laptop lid with such force and try not to look at the computer again until the next work our strikes!  ha ha!  Will hopefully be off the phones soon and back to my normal/normal.  It can't come quick enough!

mekidsmom wrote:

She won the competition!  smile  Amazing kid!  I didn't find anything new... crazy busy work lately, talking on the phone and all.  So I haven't been able to just listen to music while working and find all these gems.  When I get done with work, I close the laptop lid with such force and try not to look at the computer again until the next work our strikes!  ha ha!  Will hopefully be off the phones soon and back to my normal/normal.  It can't come quick enough!

Thanks for the update, MKM ... glad there's some light at the end of your tunnel. I for one have missed your contributions, and can't wait to see your next one. Be good to yourself, okay? You work hard, and deserve some self-indulgence with your guitar and your own quiet company ... a soul needs that now and then.