Topic: I Got a band to play with now!!

It has been sometime since I have played regular with any group but two of my old friends who were in another band contacted me to get together and jam once or twice a week and things are going smooth, I have posted some a few links to some early videos on chordie and face book on my You Tube channel and the potential is there so I decided to introduce a challenge for the band, I chose Led Zeppelins "Kashmir" a lot going on in this song I worked out the guitar parts over a few weeks till I was confident to play along with the recording. I wont have the freedom to sing this so the bass player is doing it I kind of feel a little sorry for the drummer, John Bonham  is a tough musician to try and copy but next Tuesday we will get down to the nitty gritty of the song keep ya all posted.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: I Got a band to play with now!!

Go for it Russel, will look forward to hearing this.
Great track too.
Regards Gav.

the chordie geordie

Great Russell that's agood song. I am going too watch Green bay tonight the post is up.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Gav yeah it is a great track the tuning is DADGAD the time is split between 6/4 3/4 and a bar of 2/4 (crazy) this is a real nut to crack but I am confident. smile

gtx wrote:

Great track too.
Regards Gav.

I was going to watch the GB game but it was cancelled due to the paint melting on the field and was concidered hazardious but they play the Browns in a few weeks yep it is a good song! smile

dino48 wrote:

Great Russell that's agood song. I am going too watch Green bay tonight the post is up.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-08-08 08:21:52)

Russell_Harding wrote:

Gav yeah it is a great track the tuning is DADGAD the time is split between 6/4 3/4 and a bar of 2/4 (crazy) this is a real nut to crack but I am confident. smile

gtx wrote:

Great track too.
Regards Gav.

Sounds like some good times ahead, Russell.

I've got a simplified arrangement of Kashmir that I came up with in regular tuning, for playing it on an acoustic guitar. It's played in A, and the main riff involves playing an A on the G-string along with the D-string, and then striking the open A string as the lower "drone" note throughout. You can then just proceed up the G-string in time, moving along to Bb, B, C, to D, then back down to A and repeat. It's real simple, and work quite well. The chord progression after this riff can then be played as open chords in this order: D > A, C > G, A, A, G, G, F, F, F-C-D.

I had to come up with this, simply because I haven't got Robert Plant's high vocal register. I know it's not how Led Zeppelin plays it, but it's a workable and recognizable arrangement. Try it out, and let me know what you think.

TF Their are a few arrangements on you tube that take your approach for the same reasons and they do work like yours will, but there are so many cool things going on with Jimmy Pages guitar licks and the timing stops and starts I just cannot see not playing it as it was done but congrats on coming up with a workaround, call me crazy it is so much easier to take a simple approach but this is Zeppelin and I like the challenge smile

Tenement Funster wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

gtx wrote:

Great track too.
Regards Gav.

Sounds like some good times ahead, Russell.

I've got a simplified arrangement of Kashmir that I came up with in regular tuning, for playing it on an acoustic guitar. It's played in A, and the main riff involves playing an A on the G-string along with the D-string, and then striking the open A string as the lower "drone" note throughout. You can then just proceed up the G-string in time, moving along to Bb, B, C, to D, then back down to A and repeat. It's real simple, and work quite well. The chord progression after this riff can then be played as open chords in this order: D > A, C > G, A, A, G, G, F, F, F-C-D.

I had to come up with this, simply because I haven't got Robert Plant's high vocal register. I know it's not how Led Zeppelin plays it, but it's a workable and recognizable arrangement. Try it out, and let me know what you think.

8 (edited by dino48 2016-08-08 17:44:28)

Russell_Harding wrote:

I was going to watch the GB game but it was cancelled due to the paint melting on the field and was concidered hazardious but they play the Browns in a few weeks yep it is a good song! smile

dino48 wrote:

l fell asleep 830 as I was super tired. I think they play the Browns on Friday?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Great news. That feels great doesn't it?

You bet Joe! rehearsal is tomorrow or Wed. depending on the other members but I look forward to it smile

Baldguitardude wrote:

Great news. That feels great doesn't it?

Looking forward to hearing some recordings Russell!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

We are all set up for that all the amps and drums are mic'd we did record the last session the mix was not as good as my Sony HD MV1 movie cam back to the drawing board this time I will monitor the sound going into the cam hopefully we can get a better mix keep all posted smile

topdown wrote:

Looking forward to hearing some recordings Russell!

Rocken Sie mein World, mein Freund!

Can't wait to hear you and your band!!!!!

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com