Re: Backyard Gathering - 2016 - Chordie Friends - August 6th!

This vacation is almost over. I must say that it is one of the most memorable ones. Thanx again to everyone that made it possible. Hoping to attend another gathering or 2 or 3 again.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'm really glad you had a good vacation Jx3.  You had one coming after all you've been through in recent years.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

mekidsmom wrote:

I'm glad to hear everyone made it home safe and sound!  Whew!  12 hours for a few of you.  I hope Jen and Penny weren't too uncomfortable on the trip home with all the delays you had, Ken. JJJ - did you find a guitar with all those stops? Katie cried Monday night.  sad  She told me it was due to the fact that she would just miss Penny so much, but I KNOW it was more than that.  I am positive that she would have happily gone home with Ken and Jen if she could have.  She has said about 10 times that she wants to go visit "A-Hi-A".  She's corrected my pronunciation when I've said Ohio, because she wants to visit the portion of Ohio where Ken and Jen and Penny live and they don't say "Ohio" there!  She caught that one.  But then, she doesn't miss much even if she is talking a mile a minute.  She cried again Tuesday night after saying goodbye to JJJ & Chris.  She won't eat anything but your pizza, because it's special, because it's from you.  LOL!  She also wants to visit Mass.  Oh, and if we are going to the PA get together, she's made it quite clear that she IS going with us this year.  There's no other option.

I think Penny misses Katie too.  Jen has mentioned Katie's name a few time and each time Penny's ears perk up and she runs to the door expecting Katie to walk in.  I'd be great if your family could get away for a few days next summer and come to "A-HI-A".  We've got plenty of room at our house (5 bedrooms and 3 full baths, although one bedroom is now my music room) and y'all are welcome to stay with us.  In fact, with my camper in the driveway and all the space to tent  camp in my back yard we could support a chordie get-together if there is any interest in putting together a midwest shindig. 

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Amy you did Killing me softly justice,I love too hear you sing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

smile Doug - you're more than welcome here, should you decide on a little cross-country travel!  Scott (Beamer - the metalizer) has said that he'd really like to try to make it next year.  He and Jerome are out there close to you.  Oh yeah, Dino and Russell too, not sure who else.  There are certainly a good handful of Chordie Folks over on the west coast now.  I'm surprised you guys haven't organized something over there yet to make all us East Coasters jealous!  Of course though, you're all more than welcome to come to one of our events over on this side.  wink

Ken - if you decide to put something together, we'll do everything possible to make it there!  I'd give up the annual gathering here to come down there and help out!  It may even be a little easier for Zurf and Jets60 (Jeff G.) to make it.  It's probably close to the same travel time for UJB. 

If not, we'll certainly visit at some point and take you up on the offer. We really do need to get out of NY more.  I think KK is finally at the point where she can handle longer car rides, and she certainly does LOVE seeing new places and visiting.  I read your description of Penny's ears perking up and the smile went from ear to ear as you may expect.  What I'd really like to do personally is just pull both girls out of school and live like the Gornickes in the Robin Williams movie RV - travel the country - although with our luck, we'd end up more like his family in the rental RV with everything going wrong that possibly can!  ha ha ha! 

Last day of vacation for myself too JJJ. I'm not looking forward to sitting in front of the computer for hours on end dealing with people whining about their mobile apps.  Sitting out back or on the porch with my guitar whenever the mood strikes - rather than having to make time for it - has been quite a treat. 

Dino, thank you very much for the compliment.  As my Dad was saying in the video, he had me singing that one with him since I was able to.  I hope my kids have fond memories like that with the guitar and mom when they grow up as well.  No one took video of it - but they sang along with me a few times.  The best of the kids singing along was when the older of my girls joined in and belted out some Bobby McGee with me!  It surprised ME!  ha ha!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

It's probably close to the same travel time for UJB.

Just over 6 hours. I mapped it out last night. smile

132 (edited by dino48 2016-08-14 18:56:52)

mekidsmom wrote:

smile Doug - you're more than welcome here, should you decide on a little cross-country travel!  Scott (Beamer - the metalizer) has said that he'd really like to try to make it next year.  He and Jerome are out there close to you.  Oh yeah, Dino and Russell too, not sure who else.  There are certainly a good handful of Chordie Folks over on the west coast now.  I'm surprised you guys haven't organized something over there yet to make all us East Coasters jealous!  Of course though, you're all more than welcome to come to one of our events over on this side.  wink

Ken - if you decide to put something together, we'll do everything possible to make it there!  I'd give up the annual gathering here to come down there and help out!  It may even be a little easier for Zurf and Jets60 (Jeff G.) to make it.  It's probably close to the same travel time for UJB. 

If not, we'll certainly visit at some point and take you up on the offer. We really do need to get out of NY more.  I think KK is finally at the point where she can handle longer car rides, and she certainly does LOVE seeing new places and visiting.  I read your description of Penny's ears perking up and the smile went from ear to ear as you may expect.  What I'd really like to do personally is just pull both girls out of school and live like the Gornickes in the Robin Williams movie RV - travel the country - although with our luck, we'd end up more like his family in the rental RV with everything going wrong that possibly can!  ha ha ha! 

Last day of vacation for myself too JJJ. I'm not looking forward to sitting in front of the computer for hours on end dealing with people whining about their mobile apps.  Sitting out back or on the porch with my guitar whenever the mood strikes - rather than having to make time for it - has been quite a treat. 

Dino, thank you very much for the compliment.  As my Dad was saying in the video, he had me singing that one with him since I was able to.  I hope my kids have fond memories like that with the guitar and mom when they grow up as well.  No one took video of it - but they sang along with me a few times.  The best of the kids singing along was when the older of my girls joined in and belted out some Bobby McGee with me!  It surprised ME!  ha ha!

Amy I saw Roberta Flack do this years ago at a Jackson Brown concert she kinda stole the show. We also got too see Warren Zevon (Warewolves of London) and some of the Eagles were there backing Jackson Brown.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

133 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-08-14 18:43:39)

Hey Friends

And I'm sorry to be so late with my comments (which I posted on YouTube), but I have to say that each year there seem to be more and more Chordians and the music just gets better and better. Great choices this year and I was glad to see some new faces, singers and players. TWELVE hours travel time????  And here I am complaining that I wish I could make it! ALL of you performed above and BEYOND and I am glad to be a small part of such a wonderful group of singers and players.

Again, please excuse my tardiness and I'm working to catch up --- not only here, but more on YT and SoundCloud. I haven't forgotten my friends and family.

Your Friends

Bill and Dondra (who wishes we both could have been there with y'all)

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill and Dondra, we would have loved to have ya here too!

Turns out we are pulling both girls out of school after all.  The bigger little one convinced us, after harassing for a whole year, that she'd like to be homeschooled along with her sister.  So, it turns out that travel time just got a LITTLE easier.  Of course, Jim's job still holds him back from ditching the house for an RV. I can work anywhere there's an internet connection myself.  wink 

A few folks asked about a time frame for next year.  I'll have to work that out more between UJB (because he does a FALL get together - Paul may want to contact him about possibly coming to THAT one!!) and find out if DE and Jen are serious about hosting next year.  As the summer is closing out here - I'm reminded of why I hate the end of summer so much in NY (flying ants, difficult to get the pool warmed up, etc), although I DO LOVE FALL... so maybe a few weeks later than today next year is doable - if it's not too close to UJB's gathering!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.