1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-08-19 09:53:12)

Topic: First Time - Composite Acoustics Guitar

For the very first time, I got to play a carbon-fibre guitar yesterday. It's a Composite Acoustics "Legacy", and had a $2800 price tag ... way too rich for my budget. The doodoo on carbon guitars is how inert / impervious to moisture they are, but I was mainly concerned about the sound.

http://assets.peavey.com/images/large/118030_14341.jpg

I'll just say it was okay; not bad, but not great. It certainly resonates better than a guitar with mostly laminate construction, but not as good as an all-solid-wood guitar. The sound was decent, but not extraordinary. The sustain was a bit better than average, but the tone (although the bass end was good) just didn't have the warm overtones that wood provides. It was very slippery, meaning a good strap would be essential to keep it from skidding off ones lap.

At least my curiosity was sated, but I would favor a lot of sub - $1500 guitars over this one for sound and play-ability. Just my two cents worth.

Re: First Time - Composite Acoustics Guitar

Tried  one  by  another  manufacturer  a  few  yrs  back ,expensive  and  not  that  impressive .I've  found  my  ovation to  be  best   suited  to  variable   weather  conditions  ,staying  in tune  in 40 degree  heat and the  extreme's at  the  other  end  of  the  scale we get  in the  UK .

I've owned a Composite Acoustics (Pre-Peavey) for many years. Many here have played it. All guitars have different tones and the CA is no different. I prefer it for strumming over my J-45, but the J-45 is awesome for fingerpicking. The CA, even though it is a Grand Auditorium size, stands up to a full size dread in bass tone and volume. I purchased mine when I was traveling weekly for work - the fact that you can toss it in the trunk in any weather condition without worry made up my mind - something I would never do with a good solid wood guitar. Mine lives on the back porch right next to my swing and even in the Florida heat and humidity it is always in tune and ready for picking. I see that since Peavey bought the company, they no longer make this model. They do offer it's smaller brother "the cargo" and that may be the perfect campfire guitar.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3264/2621826875_c68494c652_m.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

T.F   I had a Ovation guitar and it was great. I am sorry I sold it. The big bowl bothered me unless I stood up but they have made them smaller now.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-08-19 23:04:38)

dino48 wrote:

T.F   I had a Ovation guitar and it was great. I am sorry I sold it. The big bowl bothered me unless I stood up but they have made them smaller now.

I almost bought an Ovation a couple of years ago when I got my 12-string. I ended up with the Takamine because I had the cash in hand. I could have saved for a couple more weeks and got the Ovation, and still wish I had've. It sounded great, fit great, and looked very cool. Stupid, stupid, stupid ... sad

http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/Elite-2058-TX-12-String-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-Black/580147000001000-00-500x500.jpg

My partner plays one more often than anything else. He loves the sound and playability of it.  The one he's playing in this video he bought  some years ago before Peavy bought out CA Guitars. He paid $1200 for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSwTb-9NA4

I've played Topdown's CA and was impressed by it. Excellent bass response. Also, when you amplify them, it's very much a WYSIWIG situation.  They sound more acoustic-y than many wooden acoustics, I think because there's a great deal more control in the production process.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I had a case outer side split wide open on me, this was a factory problem. It seems it was only in the ninety eighties.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I love that Ovation up there,  UJB and it's sure enough pretty, but I have to agree with the majority: if you wanna be cool onstage with it, that's fine for us guys who are musicians, but to "Mr. John Q Public", it's just another guitar. "It's made out of what?, asks Ol' Mr. John.... "Carbon"??? Well, aren't we made out of that, Dear?", says John to his wife.

And by the way, have you seen that thing Willie Nelson plays?

Give me a $300.00 accoustic/electric any day, says I. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I love that Ovation up there,  UJB and it's sure enough pretty, but I have to agree with the majority: if you wanna be cool onstage with it, that's fine for us guys who are musicians, but to "Mr. John Q Public", it's just another guitar. "It's made out of what?, asks Ol' Mr. John.... "Carbon"??? Well, aren't we made out of that, Dear?", says John to his wife.

And by the way, have you seen that thing Willie Nelson plays?

Give me a $300.00 accoustic/electric any day, says I. smile

Bill

Bill I would give any thing for willie nelsons Martin!!!