Topic: Chordie Pa. 2016

It's that time again.

Sept. 30, Oct. 1,2

If you couldn't make it last year, you're in luck. We're going to do it again. smile Early fall in the cool, serene mountains of South Central Pa. Respond to this thread if you have an interest in attending so I can start make preparations. To get an idea where we're located, enter Blain, Pa into your favorite map program.

Here is last years thread.  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27684

And here are some videos from the event.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqHoL9 … oyARtYqgqg

Re: Chordie Pa. 2016

I loved your City of New Orleans and the lady was sounding good in jt also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's my birthday weekend, but I have an archery thing going on.  If the archery thing falls through, I'll likely come around.  I had a ball at your place last year.  A great time and a wonderful host.  This year, though, I'll bring a tent and throw it up - regardless of gravel.  It turns out that I'm skilled at destroying tents.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

dino48 wrote:

I loved your City of New Orleans and the lady was sounding good in jt also.

And the funny thing was, she really didn't know the song. That's why she lagged behind on the last line of the chorus.

Zurf wrote:

That's my birthday weekend, but I have an archery thing going on.  If the archery thing falls through, I'll likely come around.  I had a ball at your place last year.  A great time and a wonderful host.  This year, though, I'll bring a tent and throw it up - regardless of gravel.  It turns out that I'm skilled at destroying tents.

My birthday was a few days before the NY GTG.

If you can make it and want to drag the pop-up along I can get you a space to set it up.

If it wasn`t for the long drive and my brutal work schedule, I would be there in a heartbeat. It was great meeting you in N.Y.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

mekidsdad, mekids, and I are planning to be there!  big_smile

Zurf, if you can make it I promise it'll be worth the trip just to have the pleasure of meeting my littlest one - AND the bigger little one has been learning the Uke and learning how to sing along with mama!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm committed all day on Sunday earning an archery coach certification.  You're close enough that I could come up Friday and part of Saturday.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

No sense in dragging the camper along. No one will be using the couch Friday night.

i'll see how it plays out.

It's ALMOST TIME!!!!  I went shopping yesterday and bought supplies to make THE COOKIES!  We're all looking forward to the trip!  We'll be down there sometime Friday (probably late, hopefully NOT running out of gas - ha ha ha ha)!  So far, I'm supposed to still work for ONE hour early Saturday morning.  So, hopefully I can get a decent enough mobile internet connection in the closest tiny little town to be able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot.  I'm taking a chance, I realize this... but it wouldn't be worth it for us to drive down Saturday only to turn around and make that long drive back Sunday. 

Anything else you need or want us to bring along, Joe? 

Zurf, you're gonna be there right? 

Anyone else able to make it?  The leaves are starting to turn here in NY, so it should be quite beautiful at the camp!  Crisp fall mornings, guitar picking, friendship, fun.  smile  I'm excited!!!

mekidsmom wrote:

It's ALMOST TIME!!!!   So far, I'm supposed to still work for ONE hour early Saturday morning.  So, hopefully I can get a decent enough mobile internet connection in the closest tiny little town to be able to use my phone as a mobile hotspot.

I was up there with my electrician friend Mike yesterday and today figuring out where to run electric wiring next. Nothing will be done for this weekend but I'd like to be able to insulate the addition before winter sets in and that means getting the wire work done first. He was using his phone as a hotspot. He found that as long as he was outside it worked fairly well. Inside, not so much.
BTW. Have Jim tell his boss that I'm giving my approval for him to work a half day on Friday so you guys can get on the road sooner. smile

mekidsmom wrote:

Anything else you need or want us to bring along, Joe?

Not that I can think of. 

Zurf, you're gonna be there right?

????????????????? 

Anyone else able to make it?  The leaves are starting to turn here in NY, so it should be quite beautiful at the camp!  Crisp fall mornings, guitar picking, friendship, fun.  smile  I'm excited!!!

Dirty Ed????

I have a full day training session on October 1.  I'd have to make a swing-by trip on Friday to visit and then come back home.  Six hours of driving for two or three hours of playing, but I'll consider it.

Good info UJB!  I'll have to try Friday evening and determine if I can get a good enough signal for what I need without heading out!  smile

Dirty Ed just had a NEW grandson, I don't know if we can tear him away from that kind of excitement for a weekend of guitars.  Maybe...

Zurf!  Katie has been talking non-stop about who she's going to meet.  She's met you on Skype, and watched some videos.  She thinks you're pretty funny and is quite intrigued to meet you.  Steph remembers you were pretty funny.  smile  Training all day Saturday doesn't sound too fun.  sad  I suppose a late Saturday trip after it all is out of order?  We'll sure miss you if you can't make it, but totally understand.  We are still holding out hope that you'll be able to stop in for a bit though.  I'm afraid we won't be there until after dark Friday however.

I'm hoping to get the cookies baked tonight.  I'll be sure to try them out on my taste testers to ensure they pass delicious inspections.  If I make enough, there might even be a few left by the time we get there!  big_smile

Joe, if you do think of anything you may want or need us to bring along let me know!  Jim's expecting a half day Friday.  I'm working until 1, so hopefully we'll be on the road by 2 (probably more like 3 with the kids) and we'll likely get there 6 to 6 1/2 hours later (thanks to the kids needing extra bathroom breaks).  So, realistically - we should arrive anytime between 8 and 10.  But it's entirely possible we could get there as early as 6!  I'm going to do my best to get everyone (including the car) PACKED Thursday night to help us out the door as early as humanly possible after work Friday.  It COULD happen!

Scheduled to rain most of day on Friday here.  Unlikely that I'll drive up when no one will be there yet. 

The Saturday all day training is to become a certified archery coach, so it will hopefully be pretty fun.

Zurf wrote:

Scheduled to rain most of day on Friday here.  Unlikely that I'll drive up when no one will be there yet. 

The Saturday all day training is to become a certified archery coach, so it will hopefully be pretty fun.

Well that's unfortunate. sad

Maybe I can catch up with you in Florida in March.

Jen and I have been pretty busy.  Our new grandson is doing just fine but right after giving birth our daughter-in-law got real sick and was diagnosed with something called HELLP Syndrome.  She was rushed to another hospital that was equipped to treat her and spent a week in the ICU unit before she was well enough to be released.  She's still not recovered completely so Jen and I have been helping out so our son could go back to work.  Its been 35 years since I've done late-night feedings and diaper changes but I was able to hold down the night shift (once a shift-worker, always a shift worker.... smile)   I don't see any way I can get away this weekend but I wish y'all sore throats and sore fingers on Monday morning from all the pickin' and caterwaulin'.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

On they way!!

We arrived back home a few hours ago.  What a great weekend!  I will be back tomorrow to give a longer report, but wanted to stop in and say one more time...

Thank you again Joe!  smile

19 (edited by unclejoesband 2016-10-04 01:23:52)

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound.

We haven't had rain in these parts since July. So Mother Nature decided that it was time to rectify that situation this weekend. It actually started raining Wednesday night and and continued, off and on, right through Sunday morning with a light, all day, soaking rain on Saturday. Needless to say we were confined to the indoors the whole time. All the local folks except 2 bailed out.  It did not however, dampen our spirits.

There were 8 of us total and it turned out to be a very intimate gathering. We packed ourselves into a 14'x16' room and had a great time. Between Amy and I there's somewhere  around 60 videos. It's going to take some time to go through and process them all. But for now, here are a couple that didn't require any editing.

MKM with Katie (one of me kids) doing "The Last Unicorn".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb3mUG6zupw

And here is Jeff, one of the local folks, with his Taylor 900 series, doing the Styx song "Come Sail Away" in a finger picking style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waMisY5d0uQ

Edit:  I put these on the wrong page so these are new url's

Both very nice videos.

Talented players and singers.

too bad about the rain ...   small price to pay however for having good friends getting together for some picking and grinning. smile

Someday maybe I'll be able to make one of these.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

So, this is the second time we've made the trek across the southern half of NY, then all the way through the hills of PA to the Southern portion where Joe's camp is located.  It's always a beautiful drive.  It's not a short little jiggidy jog, but it's well worth it!  The GPS says it's about 5 1/4 hour drive.  With both kids in the car, toilet breaks and food, it took us about 6 1/2 hours to get there (and to get home as well).  That's really not bad considering!  They were really well behaved in the car the whole time, and hardly argued.  Thank goodness we have a mid-size vehicle now.  I can't imagine taking that trip in one where they'd be sitting elbow to elbow though!  wink 

We arrived after dark Friday night, although not nearly as late as we arrived last year.  Thankfully, the traffic (due to mostly construction) wasn't too bad in Harrisburg this year!  When we got to camp, Joe had pizza ready.  Jim and I weren't too hungry, but the girls both enjoyed a piece of Pizza.  We sat up for a while, played a little guitar and Steph pulled out her uke.  Mostly we just chatted though.  Then most everyone got tired and headed to bed.  However, like old friends who've known one another forever, Joe and I stayed up chatting.  And chatting.  And chatting.  Then I mentioned, since I had to get up in the morning to work for an hour, that I should probably try to get a few hours of sleep.  We figured it was around 3 AM.  I looked at the time, and it was 5 AM!  Holy smokes!  smile  I had to get up in an hour!  Ha!

Each morning, Joe of course made an awesome breakfast, Zurf's coffee pot gift was still there so we had coffee, all was well despite the lack of sleep! The local fella, Jeff, and his wife came over with a giant bucket of chocolate - Kate had something to keep busy with!  I was shocked by Jeff.  He's a trucker and sings and plays amazingly.  Dare I say, beautifully (not what I'd expect from the image of a trucker). 

While it would have been nice with more people, I appreciated the more intimate picker circle inside.  I had the opportunity to chat with Joe's friend Scott more than I had last year.  He originally struck me as an odd duck, but really, he's just a super nice guy.  He loves music, and loves to share it!  While he can play anything anywhere up and down the neck, he and Joe made great efforts to pick songs that were more well known and tried to teach Jim a few of them.  Jim's now got a bunch more songs saved that he can play and work on playing for next year.  They use all sorts of barre chords, so mostly I just enjoyed listening but did strum along on a few!  Luckily, I play some pretty easy stuff, so they were able to join in with me.  It was very different for me having others playing along (and shredding out solos and accompaniments to my strumming in the background).  I can't wait to listen to a few of those to see how they sounded.  I was concentrating too much on not losing my rhythm to be able to fully appreciate the extra guitars playing along at the time.  I REALLY need to have others around more to jam with!  It was a great experience.

Both nights our girls stayed up until about midnight.  Each day though, they were really pretty well behaved. There was only one moment where KK had a little fit; she straightened herself out quick enough.  Steph wowed everyone with her Uke and voice.  While she played one particular song multiple times, I don't think anyone tired of hearing it.  She amazes the heck out of me.  I hadn't really even heard her play the songs she did fully before the weekend, as she generally plays in her room with the door closed.  Joe and Scott's singing has come a long way in the past year, Jim's playing has improved, Steph's gotten amazing, and I... well... I enjoyed all of it!  Ha ha! 

I think we stayed up until around 3 AM the second night.  More amazing breakfast in the morning, and Joe traded out the rest of the cookies for the leftover pizza.  That pizza came in quite handy!  When we got home and finally settled in (after driving through a pretty bad storm 30 minutes from arrival home), we warmed it up for our late dinner. 

I honestly can't say thanks enough!  Joe is a great host, and a wonderful friend.  Joe, should you decide to, we'd be thrilled to join you for a "camp work party" in the spring to help with the addition, general clean up, or whatever.  You've got a great little place there, and we look forward to many more trips - rain or shine!  I do hope you didn't get blasted too badly with storms after we left.  On our way out, all the cows and even sheep we drove past were hunkering down expecting a storm!

I've got a slew of recordings taken with my Zoom recorder too, which I forgot to share with Joe before I left.  I'll work on editing those and putting them up, here's one for now:  https://soundcloud.com/user-935684483/bobby-mcgee

I've also added Ripple to the Featured Song of the Month thread!  smile

23 (edited by unclejoesband 2016-10-04 00:58:27)

mekidsmom wrote:

However, like old friends who've known one another forever, Joe and I stayed up chatting.  And chatting.  And chatting.  Then I mentioned, since I had to get up in the morning to work for an hour, that I should probably try to get a few hours of sleep.  We figured it was around 3 AM.  I looked at the time, and it was 5 AM!  Holy smokes!  smile  I had to get up in an hour!  Ha!

Yep. That really took me by surprise. I haven't pulled an all-nighter in 25 years. Amy went to bed and I just turned off the lights and passed out on the couch. The door opening woke me up and I assumed it was her leaving to go outside and get a better signal. Nope. She was coming in after finishing her work duties; somewhere around 8:30 I believe. I never heard her leave.

I REALLY need to have others around more to jam with!  It was a great experience.

It really does make a big difference. Scott is miles ahead of me in his abilities and it's helped me progress more than I ever would have by doing it alone.

Joe and Scott's singing has come a long way in the past year, Jim's playing has improved, Steph's gotten amazing, and I... well... I enjoyed all of it!  Ha ha!

Thanks. We've been pushing each other this past year to sing more. I guess like anything else, the more you practice the better you become. We still have a loooong way to go and will keep at it.

I noticed a BIG improvement in Jim's playing when I was in NY in August.
Jim, I know you do more reading here than posting. If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion for your practice sessions. Since you followed me in the line-up I spent some time watching you. You have a tendency to "step" into the chords. By that I mean you put one or two fingers down on the strings at a time until you have the whole chord. I think it's normal when folks first set out to learn. I remember doing it. Work on landing on the chord in one step. Once you can grab a chord in one shot you'll be amazed at the difference in the sound and how much faster you can change from one chord to the next.

And Steph!  Holy smokes! She picked up the uke in August and by October... I can't hardly believe how quickly she's taken to it.     

Joe, should you decide to, we'd be thrilled to join you for a "camp work party" in the spring to help with the addition, general clean up, or whatever.  You've got a great little place there, and we look forward to many more trips - rain or shine!

I do feel a little more comfortable with that idea than I did this past spring. Jim came up with some great ideas for the inside that never even occurred to me. I'm looking forward to further exploring some of them. 

mekidsmom wrote:

I've got a slew of recordings taken with my Zoom recorder too, which I forgot to share with Joe before I left.

Oh sure! Here I thought we were friends and you're holding out on me. big_smile

I created a playlist here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0sYkt … 59fEMgjOPW

I'll be adding to it as I get a chance.

Man, I wish we could be there, UJB! We haven't tried flying yet, but since her stroke, I am just now letting Dondra drive short distances and me coming alone is not an option. I wish ALL of you a lot fun and beautiful music!

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com