Topic: Fingering for G chord

I've been trying different fingering for the g-chord.  I alternate between using fingers 1,2,3 and using 2,3,4.  Frankly, since I haven't been playing that long I think I'm starting to confuse myself and now when I have to go for a g I hesitate.  I find that the transition between c and g is easier using 2,3,4 but it's hard getting that darn pinky to cooperate sometimes.  Which fingering seems to work best for you and why?

Re: Fingering for G chord

2,3,4 Usually works best, it's a natural for G C D shuffles and natural for breaks up to G then to D in rock, also natural for C F C G songs. You'll have far more need for fast changes to these than anything else.

1,2,3 works best when you need to do the Eagles G shapes that derive from folk/country. There's one in Lyin Eyes that can only be done from this shape. I mean the version of G where ring and little fingers hold the B and E strings on fret 3.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

50 years of playing and I have only ever played open G with fingers 1,2 and 3. I might add that I find no difficulty with quick changes to or from it.

You learn something new every day and although I have never had any problems using this fingering I will give the alternative fingering some practice.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Yep, same as Roger here. I've only been using fingers 1,2 and 3 as well.....although I do concede Roger has had a little bit more experience than me, lucky bugger.......say about 49 yrs!! lol   

I have been practicing with 2,3 and 4 though so as I can change to a G7 I think it is, a bit quicker. But I can hit the C and D easily enough the way I usually play. It's all down to preference really isn't it. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

i use 4 fingers to play the g chord having my first finger on the low e string(3rd fret) my second finger on the A string (2nd fret) and my third and fourth on the B and high E strings (3rd fret) it is such a nicer sounding chord even though i do play it with an open B string at times though which ever way i feel like.

Royston
N Wales.

I use 1,2,and3, but you could use 2,3,and 4 depending on which chord comes after it.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

I used to use my 1,2,3 fingers.  But, now I found that I played better using the 2,3,4 fingers!  The transition to other chords was easier.

1 2 3 has always served me well, but I wil give 2 3 4 a try and see how it feels

what a long strange trip it's been

I have been playing for many years and I use 2 3 4 and find the G7 is easy to get to from G and also I like to hit the C note on the first fret 2nd string with my index once in a while for a different twist.I also can fret the E & B string with my pinky if required.I have played with great players that have played the G chord both ways,personal preference i guess.Thanks Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Fingers 1,2 and 4 mostly. I have stumpy fingers so I play a G on the high E string with my pinky, second finger for a G on the low E string and forefinger for a B on the A string. I've never found any difficulty with fast changes. I suppose if you wanna go at the speed of light, you can always press a G on the high E string with any finger that happens to be passing and just hit the D, G , B & E strings.

Or, you can barred the third fret and use the E chord shape to get a G chord too!

hello,

I have guitar lessons and my teacher has always tought me G using fingers 2,3,4.  This he says is beacause it makes it a lot easier once you have got used to it when swithching between commenly used chords and builds the strenth in the baby finger.
I have now got used to playing it like this and find it much much easier to play then with 1,2,3.

I have always used 123. But there is one way were you use 123&4. You have the same fingering for fingers 1&2 but you put your 3 finger on the 2 string 3 fret and your pinky on 1 string 3 fret. Hope this helps.

Using 2,3,4 fingers provide an advantage of leaving the 1st finger free to add another note while playing a G.  A good example is the song Taquilla Sunrise by the Eagles.  While strumming the G chord, your first finger would add that extra note on the 5th string, 2nd fret.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of the responses.  I've got to try to not be so static and play something only one way but be able to change techniques depending on the situation.  The more I play the more I relax about what's "right" and "wrong".
Later.
EF

I was always taught:

e|3
b|3
g|0
d|0
a|2
e|3

Doesn't leave much room for different fingering. I find switchin to and from it a doddle just cos its so ingrained into my fingers muscle memory.