1 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-07-20 19:52:37)

Topic: Tips on shopping for an amp

I have been playing alone on a cheap fender starter type amp  (fender frontman amp) for years now mostly playing to recorded music. I am thinking about upgrading to a better amp. I was wondering if someone could give me some advise on shopping for something nicer that I could use when jammin with other people. My guitar is a Gibson Lucille

another question what is the difference between an acoustic amp and a regular amp. is a regular amp sufficiant for an acoustic guitar

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: Tips on shopping for an amp

patrick

how much power do you want. if you are playing by yourself a practice amp is neat but if you are playing in a band you need more juice

unfortunately bigger amps weigh more and are a pain to carry around

if i was going to buy an amp i would get one with some dial in tones

i love my marshall - its small but pumps out good tones

3 (edited by cytania 2007-07-22 18:58:51)

Hi PJ, an acoustic amp is more like a hi-fi amp, it tries to amplify all frequencies the same amount. An acoustic amp tries to take the natural guitar sound and just put it through the speaker (they do have tricks like chorus and reverb but nothing too gross). A regular electric guitar map is cruder, it tends to boost mid-frequencies, giving that in-yer-face electric guitar sound.

Practise amps can be used in bands, the fender champ was a favourite, smaller amp =  easier to overdrive. Gauging volume needed is tricky, my own is only 8 watts but can go very loud at home. However at guitar class I couldn't even hear it over a rousing chorus of acoustics strumming 'Johnny B Goode'!

Gibson Lucille has no F-holes right? I think this was done to reduce distortion, so you'd be going against type getting a hi-gain amp and trying to create alot of snarl. Natural match would be a clean amp like a Fender Twin but take it along plug in, you'll know when you get the sound you want.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

when shopping for amps, you need to know what you want.
for a decent practice amp a 15 watt would work
remember, don't spend money for watts you don't need

also, a good brand i have found is VOX Valvetronix

cytania wrote:

Hi PJ, an acoustic amp is more like a hi-fi amp, it tries to amplify all frequencies the same amount. An acoustic amp tries to take the natural guitar sound and just put it through the speaker (they do have tricks like chorus and reverb but nothing too gross). A regular electric guitar map is cruder, it tends to boost mid-frequencies, giving that in-yer-face electric guitar sound.

Practise amps can be used in bands, the fender champ was a favourite, smaller amp =  easier to overdrive. Gauging volume needed is tricky, my own is only 8 watts but can go very loud at home. However at guitar class I couldn't even hear it over a rousing chorus of acoustics strumming 'Johnny B Goode'!

Gibson Lucille has no F-holes right? I think this was done to reduce distortion, so you'd be going against type getting a hi-gain amp and trying to create alot of snarl. Natural match would be a clean amp like a Fender Twin but take it along plug in, you'll know when you get the sound you want.

A gibson Lucille is a ES-335 with out sound holes although it is still an arch top (not a solid body) so it probley still feedback. Depending on what you want to do as mentioned by johncross 21 will determine which wattage (how much amp you need) to buy.

Bootlegger.

patrickjacques wrote:

I have been playing alone on a cheap fender starter type amp  (fender frontman amp) for years now mostly playing to recorded music. I am thinking about upgrading to a better amp. I was wondering if someone could give me some advise on shopping for something nicer that I could use when jammin with other people. My guitar is a Gibson Lucille

another question what is the difference between an acoustic amp and a regular amp. is a regular amp sufficiant for an acoustic guitar

Regarding your question on what the difference between acoustic and electric amps. First the obvious (not trying to be funny) one is made  for electrics and the other for acoustics. The electrics will have an open back to allow air to flow and carry your sound although you also lose sound that is not being driven forward. THe acoustics are usually all closed because they will feed back quicker due to the reverberation (or vibration of the sound chamber) of an acoustic. So if you can play an acoustic through an electric amp but you will not be able to playt very loud because it will feedback in a hurry.

Take your guitar and try out various amps see which one sounds better for you. Generally a good 30 watt tube amp will workout fine for a practisc and small club amp. You can always run it through the house board in a club if you need more sound.

Bootlegger.

I don't agree the full 100% about what  locdown wrote. About acoustic amps versus electric amps, I feel pretty good with my amps. First I had, still working, is a Marshall valvestate, no tubes, and 100 watt. Amps with 15-20 Watt can be quit expensive as well. I also have a Fender Cybertwin, I think 2x65 Watt, and this is a dream amp. You have a lot of "genuine" different Fender Amps, like Vibroking, Bassman, almost all the amps you could find. The knobs turn automatically when you choose a kind of amp. You can regulate almost everything, and it provides you almost always the "perfect sound you want so bad. It is a hybrid amp, digital, and tubes. AND this amp has 100 preset, different sounds, giving you the possibility, to regulate this amp by turning the volume, tone, reverb ... creating the sound you want.
The last amp I purchased is a MARSHALL AS 100D, an acoustic amp. BUR!!, I use this amp, first I wanted a 50 watt, and that's why I write about watt, you can always put your volume low, and I compared the 2 amps, for a couple of hours, and they were right, the difference between 50 & 100 W is incredible, AND, I often play electric guitar on it, it gives me a crystal clear sound in 10 seconds, it takes me 15 minutes to have a similar sound.
There are a lot of decent amps, for a low price, and really a lot of noise, if you want, and you can use a lot of different effects and sounds, if you have effects.
Crate has some very good and absolutely not expensive (acoustic) amps.
Hope this will help

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I do not have an "acoustic amp" for my acoustic/electric and I've never used one in the past with various A/E guitars I've had.  While an acoustic amp is great, I find that my Line 6 does just fine.  Now, you don't want to put it on Boston, Van Halen or Metallica and plug your acoustic in and hope for a good tone.  Actually, you want a "CLEAN" sound/channel/setting.  While this will not produce the best sound for your acoustic, it will make a damn good try.  My A/E (acoustic/electric) sounds great on my Line 6 amp on a clean channel and then I have all the Chorus/Delay/Reverb/or whatever to pump in there to make it sound even cooler.  So, I say get a great modeling amp that does awesome stuff and then finding a good setting for your acoustic will be easy.  In fact, in my humble opinion, it will be better than any "acoustic amp" you can buy.  Rock on!

Gibson Les Paul Studio (customized) * Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom Les Paul "Camo" * Breedlove 6-string acoustic * Takamine 12-string acoustic/electric * Line 6 Spider III 212 150 * Line 6 FBV Shortboard * New tight skin-toned colored Spandex and matching thong *
big_smile

Hi brown sound, when I bought the Fender Cybertwin, there wasn't actually a line6 amp.
It is and will be always a mystery: to create "weird " sounds, with your amp only, the cyber and the line6 (vetta), the more expensive amp, are more or less similar, and in the line6 POD xt Life floorboard they told me that it produced the effects just as the amp.
I had another floor board for my effects, I just played it for 1 week, back to the store, where they told me that in my case, because of the cybertwin I would only use half or less of the line 6 floor board, they were right. But having the other amps, it is OK.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I Just bought a Vox 30 watts with 2-12 inch speakers. It sounded great at the guitar shop. I am still not totally familiar with it. Any one out there have this amp and any tips on its use as far as settings

patrickjacques wrote:

I Just bought a Vox 30 watts with 2-12 inch speakers. It sounded great at the guitar shop. I am still not totally familiar with it. Any one out there have this amp and any tips on its use as far as settings

I don't own one, but my daughter's friend owns one of the VOX Valvetronics, and I've played through it some.   Fantastic amp.   Sounds great at low and high volumes, and the effects on the amp head are really rich, and sound good, too.   

30W is pretty beefy.  Is this just a practice amp?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

patrickjacques wrote:

First of all P.J. how do you like the Vox.  I have been checking the valvetronix series out but have yet to play one. All the info I got on the Vox site shows me a 30 watt with single speaker, what model is yours?

Bootlegger.

13 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-08-24 02:44:55)

Hey bootlegger, The Model of my new amp is Vox AC30CC2. I kinda went over the edge on a spending spree and purchaced a new acoustic Martin D-42, a National (steel body) Resonator and the new amp. With 3 new toys I have not really taken the time yet to get to know the amp. I was planning to buy a Fender amp and the saesman sold me on the Vox. As I said it sounded really good in the store. I dont get the chance to jam with others that often and that is when I will be using it the most. I need to take the time to get to know it better