Topic: BOSS versus ZOOM

- Boss micro mr: 4 tracks and 32 virtual tracks.
- Zoom H4
Can someone help me on this items, by telling a few things. I looked already on so many websites, and never I've got a decent answer about this 2 items.

I just know that boss mr micro, is promoted as a mini studio, a pocket studio, with 4 tracks and 32 virtual tracks, and has about 300 different effects, or should I say drum and bass patterns. It is not too expensive, it's also not that cheap, for a few $ more, you can have an eight or sixteen track recording device that even burns on, here I would prefer a rewritable CD, on the spot.
- PROBLEM & QUESTION: who has a much better knowledge about the micro boss, more to the point WHAT ARE VIRTUAL TRACKS, AND WHAT IS THE PURPOSE??? Can it be used on an acoustic guitar, a "ONLY WITHOUT PREAMP, NATURAL GENUINE ACOUSTIC"

Zoom H4: reading reviews, the crucial point, the most important in fact, are the microphones and raeding comments from customers, those microphones are working fantastic, which is probably excellent when playing acoustic to record songs. What else do I know, the fact that this device has some effects to compress, but I think that it is more a "clean and very good" recording device with a memory card (like Boss). If you buy this Zoom H4 to use, do you receive the proper software, are there rhythm sections like on the Boss MR Micro?

With the knowledge I have now, concerning these 2 items, it is as they are made for each other.
But for a start, to record, I would say for fun, you need a fun factor, but when you buy it, it is more logic that you use it in a more decent way.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: BOSS versus ZOOM

Phil,

Go to www.boss.com and you'll find the information you are looking for. I like boss effects and get great deals (at cost) because I have a friend that I grew up with who works for Roland (boss parent company). She gets me all the gear I can afford.

Bootlegger.

If I need a device really bad, I'll contact you, to order something, but I will anyhow pay you for your effort and the device

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I've been using the Zoom product for about 9 months. It's well worth the money.

I find the simplicity, the two omni-inputs, and the surprisingly good stereo microphones as the high points. It has a compressor, and that's a welcome bonus.

I use the 150+ speed 2 gig memory chips that you can get on sale for 15-20$ in it. I've tested it on various brands of slower and smaller chips and it never fails.

It has an interesting mount on it that enables you to mount it on a tripod to reduce any vibration. I've used that once.

The only thing I wish it had is a remote.

And if it were only slightly modified, I think it could be a good player as well. The jog-wheel style controller is pretty solid and scrolls you through your options quickly.

Dear fiend CYBERSAINT, is this about the ZOOM H4? I can't make a choice, do you have put in jacks, or entries on the H4 too, and MOST IMPORTANT FOR ME: can you connect an electric guitar as well? and does it contain drum and bass loops? If yes this would be it. If not, you can maybe buy the BOSS MR MICRO, and the ZOOM H4 (seems very attractive to me, because of the "super good" mics, reviews are very positive: very sensitive and high quality, makes this device VERY interesting to use it to record your acoustic guitar(skill).

I have just recently purchased a Boss BR-600 (the one above the Micro).  When I was researching around for a home recording unit, all the reviews I read praised Boss over Zoom (I had bought an multi-effects Zoom pedal about 10 years ago and it hasnt aged very well!).  I was initially going to go for the Micro, but decided to pay a little more for a more table top version, with more tracks, etc.  As I have a PC I do not need an onboard CD burner.  I would highly recommend Boss - it has done everything I have been told it can do, is relatively easy to understand and is great value for money.  I am told the condensor mics on the Micro are the same as on the BR-600 and they are brilliant!!!  The sound recorded from them is so clear, it is like it has been recorded from a top end mic (obviously you will get ambient noise though).  I would go with Boss everytime!

The virutal tracks allow you to 'rehearse' over and over on a particular track until you nail the one you want, which you then 'write to' that track.  Move onto the next track and do the same again.  It means if you make a mistake, or are not happy, just kinda keep going without having to wipe the track and start again - at least that is my take on it.  I am still working through all the different options, etc.

'Keep on rockin' in the free world!!'

I'd imagine that it has 4 real simultaneous inputs and that you can playback 32 tracks (already recorded) simultaneously... but don't quote me on that

Check out my site: [url=http://www.guitaristhelp.net]Printable scale, chord, arpeggio, blank TAB and manuscript sheets for guitar and bass[/url]

Good afternoon almost guitarist help.
I've been to one of the biggest music store in Europe. They know me really good there, being such a good customer.
He showed me BOSS MR MICRO, with 4 tracks and 32 virtual tracks, having 300 rhythm patterns, price around €250 (I know if I buy it in the USA, it will cost me 40% cheaper, but he showed me the at this moment "flagship" BOSS BR 600.
What is the difference: 8 tracks, same extras like rhythm patterns, COSM effects, and!! having a quit sensitive STEREO mic, (not on the BOSS MICRO). €399. I am not a super guitar player, but I am absolutely not bad, and this one uses a Compact Flash card, you get only 128 MB, but here I have 3 CF cards, because of my digital camera, 1 GB memory.
The way of using it is not a problem I hope, but anyway, I go for the 600. I know myself quit good, I used to be a real "greedy" person, being able to pay what I liked.
If I buy the BOSS MICRO, I think that I will return immediately to the store 14 days later and change. I am happy as a child, because I can play acoustic and sing because of the stereo microphone.
The only other solution was buying in combination the ZOOM H4, but they told me what I thought, this ZOOM H4, is in fact a super sensitive "dictaphone". I will keep you informed about the experience I will have, and I am convinced that what I will post, can be helpful for other chordians.
Now: just a very good software program, to cut bad notes, and (I know it exists, because my friend in Mississauga, Ontario, had already such a program in !! 1991!!.
Maybe he can copy a program and send it, but I really want to know if other chordians do the same as I do, having a special software to correct everything, without recording the same song 100 times.Thanks for your advises, it's thanks to those advises that I started to have more and more an idea about these products.