Topic: TOP 5 - TOP 10 INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC

This is really easy if you want, shadows, ventures, but I am also very interested in other instrumental, really very melodic, like Vangelis.

1)    I will return                                   SPRINGWATER
2)    Conquest of the Paradise                VANGELIS
3)    Green Onions                                 BOOKER T and THE MG'S
4)    Last Exit from Brooklyn                   MARK KNOPFLER
5)    Going Home: Theme of Local Hero   MARK KNOPFLER
6)    Theme from The Deer Hunter          THE SHADOWS
7)   "music"? = more than one               JOE SATRIANI
8)   One of These  Days (meddle)          PINK FLOYD
9)   Astronomy Domine                         PINK FLOYD
10)  Wigwam                                        BOB DYLAN

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: TOP 5 - TOP 10 INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC

Hi Doc,
Here are three of my favorites:
At Ch. DeGaulle, Etc. - Better Than Ezra
Cruise Missle - Steve Morse
Old Friends - Stanley Clarke
Jim

Hi EDGEFAN, from New Orleans, one of my all time favourite towns, probably due to the fact that it is America's most European city. How are things in BOURBON street, still, especially on a saturday night, thousands of people shouting to every girl: "show your tits" and throwing those chains?
I was there in September 2003, as one of the highlights of my "bluestrip" who started in Chicago, over St. Louis, following route 66, along the Mississippi, crossing Missouri, and than across the bridge back east over Memphis straight to Nashville, back to Memphis and Beale street, travelling south towards New Orleans. I was there in 1992 for the first time, but I am convinced that the style of music they used to play in New Orleans has changed a lot, from 90% jazz back then, to 80% rock, blues and 20% jazz now.
Yes there are really a lot of groups, or guitarists playing instrumental: Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwee Malmsteen, to name a few.
I forgot someone very important: JIMI HENDRIX on Woodstock 1969, performing the national anthem.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Not completely instrumental, but close enough, and in no particular order

Choral from Beethoven's 9th.
Beethoven's 6th
1st Movement ("Mars") from Gustav Holst's "Planets Suite"
Otto Rhespighi's "Rome Trillogy"
Franz Hayden's Trumpet Concerto in E Flat

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by Edgefan 2007-08-14 17:55:53)

Hi Doc,
Yes, we are kind of the odd duck of american cities.  Some say we have more in common with our neighbors to the south in the Carribean than our neighbors to the north in our own country.  Bourbon Street is alive and kicking but the breast baring and bead throwing is mostly kept to our carnival season and mostly done by tourist.  If you get a chance listen to that instrumental that I mentioned from Better than Ezra, they are a local rock band that were on the verge of hitting it big in the mid 1990's.  On this particular track you'll here a very clear jazz influence.  Even if bands down here don't play jazz per se you can't help but be influenced on some level by the sound.  I used to date a girl from out of state and after a few years of making the rounds of the local music scene, she could hear a "New Orleans sound" in a lot of different music.  Have you heard  of the "Rebirth Brass Band"?  Check them out http://www.rebirthbrassband.com/
I think you'll like them.
Take it easy,
Jim

how could you miss Classical Gas by Mason Williams

mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
There are thousands of instrumental songs, just take the albums of the "fingerpickers" like Grossman, Kottke