1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-11-14 01:33:19)

Topic: Need My Guitar-Playing Butt Kicked Off The Planet!!!!!

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" (Dondra of course) wants me to sing this little song at either Thanksgiving or Christmas for the family and the children....... Here it is and please stay tuned for more of my comments afterward, okay?

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … 70030.html

Okay, first off, I LOVE Mr. Tom T Hall, but I am scared to death that I'm gonna go off-key!!!!!!

I can play it sloooowwwwly and sing along, but I can't ask the little ones to do that....

I can get through..... I ------ love ------ little baby ducks ------- old pick up trucks ----- (but that's where I start to lose it!) A7, I think.....

Need some help from my friends! PLEAAAAZEEEE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vONC3sdhiwM

Your Friend Always

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Need My Guitar-Playing Butt Kicked Off The Planet!!!!!

Bill,
First of all, don't ever worry about singing out of key - some of the most popular singers in the world do that. smile Just have fun with it!

With respect to moving to the A7, lots of players tend to remove their hand from the fretboard when switching chords and then rebuilding the chord from the ground up. This is a mistake and is the "hard way" of doing things. The A7 is fingered very similarly to the D chord, just a string down. if your D chord is fingered like this:

-------2-------   middle finger
-------3-------   ring finger
-------2-------   index finger
-------0--------
-------x---------
-------x---------
....All you have to do to make that A7 is lift up your ring finger and slide the other two down a string while they are still in position:

---------0---------
---------2--------- middle finger
---------0--------- (pick up your ring finger to let this sound open)
---------2--------- index finger
---------0----------
---------x---------

So, resist the urge to pick up all your fingers and put them back down in the new position. The lazy way is the way to go. smile

-BGD

Just sing your best.  It's family.  What's the worst that could happen?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by dino48 2016-11-14 21:50:53)

opie if Dondra belives you can do it she is telling you she that she thinks you have the talent too do it. She would not want you too be embarresed. It is a very easy song play and seems like he is just talking through it. Maybe You could do a duet or Have the rest of the family sing with you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

As Musicator Extraordinaire you're going to make a great job of this. Although I couldn't get the vid to play I did read the lyrics. Why not swap the name Della for Dondra? Good luck Bill.

Thick as two short planks

This was good advice! I also have been a lot more critical of players when I see Awards shows on TV, etc. I noticed performers, especially those who are backed by a few, or many, other musicians and who still play along with singing, actually walk, finger at a time, to the next chord played. I really noticed it first when I saw a "tube" video of Kathy Matea doing "Goin' Gone" live. It was obvious to me, watching her play, that I had been putting too much effort into chord mobility. Now I walk to the chord, and it helps me with note familiarity also. Thanks, Kathy!

Baldguitardude wrote:

Bill,
First of all, don't ever worry about singing out of key - some of the most popular singers in the world do that. smile Just have fun with it!

With respect to moving to the A7, lots of players tend to remove their hand from the fretboard when switching chords and then rebuilding the chord from the ground up. This is a mistake and is the "hard way" of doing things. The A7 is fingered very similarly to the D chord, just a string down. if your D chord is fingered like this:

-------2-------   middle finger
-------3-------   ring finger
-------2-------   index finger
-------0--------
-------x---------
-------x---------
....All you have to do to make that A7 is lift up your ring finger and slide the other two down a string while they are still in position:

---------0---------
---------2--------- middle finger
---------0--------- (pick up your ring finger to let this sound open)
---------2--------- index finger
---------0----------
---------x---------

So, resist the urge to pick up all your fingers and put them back down in the new position. The lazy way is the way to go. smile

-BGD

Thanks, so much, BGD That works!!!! A little over a month to learn the verses and don't worry about going off key (I worry too much anyway smile  ).

Thank you, Sir!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com