Topic: Has This Ever Been Done With An Accoustic?

Take the G B E top strings (or bottom strings - however you refer to them) and switch them from wire to nylon on a normal accoustic?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Has This Ever Been Done With An Accoustic?

Hi Opie I have never tried it but it may work on a certain song(s).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-30 09:03:20)

There's no reason why nylon strings wouldn't sound alright on a regular steel-string acoustic, but getting them there may be challenging for a several reasons.

1) First off, nylon strings are typically tied off to the bridge of a classical guitar. With no ball end, I don't know how they could be anchored to the bridge of an acoustic. Perhaps a no-slip fly-fishing knot like the "Perfection Loop" tied at the end, would give enough bulk for it to bind tightly against the bridge pin ... don't know.

2) Second, the small diameter of the typical tuning post on a steel string may be too tight a turn for a nylon string ... might stress it to the point of breaking?

3) Third, the slots in the nut are cut for smaller gauge steel strings. Unless the nut was re-cut, the nylon strings would sit quite high off the fret-board, and may not even stay seated in the nut very well.

Probably not a practical idea, and if a person modified the guitar enough to accommodate nylon strings, it wouldn't be suitable for steel strings afterwards.

Just my .02 cents worth ...

Well, of course you're right, my friend. I wish I'd think things through before posting these inane questions of mine.

Thanks for explaining all of that, TF and your time was worth way more than 2 cents as is all that you contribute here.  smile

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

5 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-11-30 11:19:03)

It is possible with some quick changes and I have done it for a close friend who had several guitars and made the change for him on one of them. The actual change is for the most part is permanent because it involved a fine straight file to change the nut size to accommodate the larger strings. On the guitar on end that us held under the pegs you tie a knot large enough to hold properly. On the strings at the turner side you first tie knots around the turner and then bring the strings up to tune. He has been playing it for years and it sounds good, although it can be plugged in to amplify the sound. All six strings were changed. The guitar was a Taylor and don't remember the model number.

I think it is actually better to just buy a true classical guitar. I just did what he wanted at time.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

CG did it fret out a lot or did you raise the heck out of the action?

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well, of course you're right, my friend. I wish I'd think things through before posting these inane questions of mine.

Thanks for explaining all of that, TF and your time was worth way more than 2 cents as is all that you contribute here.  smile

Thanks!

Bill

Nothing inane about any question, and creative experimenting is always an adventure even if the destination isn't as planned. I was very glad to see that CG replied with similar ideas, and appreciate his input. The collective wealth of knowledge among the Chordians is part of what makes this such a great website.

If I may share a personal experiment ...

During my late-teens, I decided that having a double-neck electric guitar (6-string + bass) would be cool. I had a couple of "el cheapo" guitars I'd bought second-hand, and proceeded to slice - dice - dowel - glue - clamp, etc. to make them into one. The end result was a feed-back prone mess that weighed about 35 lbs., looked like the dickens, and sounded stupid. I painted it green, with some red and black markings, and appropriately named it "Frankenstein". If I'd wanted a travel case for it, nothing less than a small U-Haul would have sufficed. lol Good times!

Tenement Funster wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Thanks!

Bill

Nothing inane about any question, and creative experimenting is always an adventure even if the destination isn't as planned. I was very glad to see that CG replied with similar ideas, and appreciate his input. The collective wealth of knowledge among the Chordians is part of what makes this such a great website.

During my late-teens, I decided that having a double-neck electric guitar (6-string + bass) would be cool. I had a couple of "el cheapo" guitars I'd bought second-hand, and proceeded to slice - dice - dowel - glue - clamp, etc. to make them into one. The end result was a feed-back prone mess that weighed about 35 lbs., looked like the dickens, and sounded stupid. I painted it green, with some red and black markings, and appropriately named it "Frankenstein". If I'd wanted a travel case for it, nothing less than a small U-Haul would have sufficed. lol Good times!

and you still have it?

Tenement Funster wrote:

This post is totally inappropriate with out pics. big_smile

10 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-11-30 23:02:00)

Baldguitardude wrote:

CG did it fret out a lot or did you raise the heck out of the action?

They guy I did it for has been my best friend for over 35 years. I made the changes and he played and said it was what he wanted. I did not hear any buzz at all. If he changed the neck action he never told me. Since I have played only classical guitars and none of them had truss rods I would not change the setup of the neck.

Just to mention it La Bella makes a folk guitar string that is nylon based and made to fit both a steel string and a classical. They are La Bella part #830 and they have ball ends on the treble and metal ends on the bass. The treble are black and bass strings are brass wound have a metal end piece. They do not actually show the tension of the package and most reviews on them are not good. Some say they are too light and other say it is too much tension. Typical for different players.

11 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-11-30 23:13:58)

unclejoesband wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

This post is totally inappropriate with out pics. big_smile

Wish I did have pics, UJB. But that was over 40 years ago, and it went out in the household trash after I left home for college.

They now make nylons with a ball type end like regular strings, saw an ad for them somewhere.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I've come across nylons with ball ends, like Scott said.  I can't recall what brand they were, but they did have ball ends and they were at Guitar Center.  I think, if I remember correctly, a few of the El-Cheapo kids guitars come with nylon strings that have ball ends.  Although I tie mine, I'm pretty sure ball ends would work on a typical classical set up. It may look a bit odd, but it would work.  CG, any reason you think that it may make the guitar sound off? I've actually considered getting them in the hopes that MAYBE my guitar would stay in tune better.  MAYBE it's my tying that's the issue.  LOL!  I don't do it enough and don't play that guitar enough to say I tie well.  yeah yeah yeah... it's part of the nylon plight.

At the end of the day, Bill, I've read suggestions lots of times from people to do just that.  Put nylons on a steel string guitar when learning because it's easier on the finger tips to fret nylon (that is true - I never got callouses till I switched to a steel string).  You CAN do it, but will it sound good if you don't file the nut?  Meh, for $5, I say give it a try but make sure you find those ball end nylons otherwise you'll be scratching your head wondering how to secure the strings at the saddle!  I wonder if super light nylons would fit alright in the nut on a typical steel string?

TF - I can't believe you don't have a photo SOMEWHERE!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There is no way to say this without being funny,  yikes but you need a new nut if you are going to do this, I would keep my original one in case I would want to go back to a regular set-up. Get a new one that you can file and play with.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

The ones with ball ends and steel ends on the bass strings are  La Bella part #830. I mentioned them earlier in the same post. They are listed as Folk Guitar. La Bella does not list a tension for these strings, and the reviews I have read some think they are great and others dislike them.

Here is a link to La Bella where they show these strings:  http://www.labella.com/strings/category/folksinger/

mekidsmom from changing the Taylor guitar for my long term best friend, I had to file the nut to fit classical strings and they sounded really good. I don't know if he later changed the truss rod or not. Once I installed classical strings on it thought they sounded good.

I also mentioned in my original post that the best real solution is to buy a true classical guitar, and even one of a student starter guitar like a Yamaha C40 or a CG102 offers good sound with a full size guitar for not a lot of money.

I may try those La Bella strings on Tiny.  What could it hurt?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

18 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-12-02 18:18:06)

Zurf wrote:

I may try those La Bella strings on Tiny.  What could it hurt?

The LaBella strings are normally priced very low. They are worth trying the only problem is they will take a few days of playing to stay in turn although not are long as normal classical strings. They are attractive because the treble strings are black and the bass strings are brass wind so they are brass color vs classical strings that are silver.

Please let us know after you use them how you like them.

beamer wrote:

There is no way to say this without being funny,  yikes but you need a new nut if you are going to do this, I would keep my original one in case I would want to go back to a regular set-up. Get a new one that you can file and play with.

Engaging sphincter.....

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

20 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-12-02 19:24:31)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:
beamer wrote:

Engaging sphincter.....

If  I remember correctly the LaBella Folk strings will fit a steel string without filling the nut. One suggestion if they fit the without making changes is use a pencil or some other lube to lube the nut before using the La Bella folk stings. They are smaller strings than normal classical strings so they might fit the nut without making any real changes. Most folk guitars use steel strings.

Classical Guitar wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:
beamer wrote:

Engaging sphincter.....

If  I remember correctly the LaBella Folk strings will fit a steel string without filling the nut. One suggestion if they fit the without making changes is use a pencil or some other lube to lube the nut before using the La Bella folk stings. They are smaller strings than normal classical strings so they might fit the nut without making any real changes. Most folk guitars use steel strings.

JUST DON'T FORGET TO LUBE IT FIRST! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL SO DARN FUNNY lololololol yikes

beamer wrote:
Classical Guitar wrote:
Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Engaging sphincter.....

JUST DON'T FORGET TO LUBE IT FIRST! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL SO DARN FUNNY lololololol yikes

Your disapproval is noted. Don't worry I will not posted any more to your forum. I did not know you were the judge.

Don't worry CG, Beamer's one of the good guys.  He and Strummerboy Bill were having a double entendre side conversation going on.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yeah, CG: That's really all it was, and I'm sorry you misunderstood and even sorrier that I helped carry that along with my dumb comment, but sometimes I just can't help myself and it's, "Open back door to brain, and here's "Ol' Opie" ready to get into trouble again. smile

As my friend dino will tell you, sometimes I manage to stay just this side of trouble, but other times, it gets to my fingers before I can stop it, and there it lays, until such times as either I or someone catches the "smell". Then either I delete it myself or get it deleted with a warning.

If I may speak for my buddy Scott we didn't intend to offend anyone. Least of all you who's proving almost daily what an asset he is to Chordie.

Thanks for understanding and  allowing us to explain how that all happened.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

25 (edited by Classical Guitar 2016-12-04 03:26:10)

Zurf and Strummerboy Bill thank you both for explaining it means a lot.