Topic: STRINGS (yes, again)

This post is or could be somewhat related to the EB thread down below as that topic went in many directions (As they normally do).

I posted to the general forum about my string change last night.  Which brings up my topic, The Martin Med set is very bright.  I asked the dude at the store and he said they were not as bright as the other set of Martin med.  I saw the Zurf likes the EB Earthewood sets.  I mentioned that I will be giving them a go also.  If this makes any sense, I am looking for something that give s “smoky” feeling.  I know woods and atmosphere play a lot in that, but something where the 1st - 3rd strings don’t pierce the strum but still ring out.  Sometimes I feel like just muting the high E entirely.  So let it begin again, suggestions come on out.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: STRINGS (yes, again)

Try these. John Pearse PB 80/20

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5549/30524409334_6a511cd6bd_b.jpgJohn Pearse Strings by unclejoesband, on Flickr

ill have to keep them in mind as this selection process is gonna take a while LOL ill line them up and give them 2 or 3 months each.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-12-01 10:55:18)

Like everyone else, I like to try something new once in a while. However, I always seem to fall back to the following:

Cordoba 6-string (solid Engelman spruce top + solid rosewood back & sides - detailed, full voice)
- Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 (12-53 gauge)

Norman 6-string (solid Red Spruce top + solid mahogany back & sides - big, boomy voice)
- D'Addario Nickel-Bronze (12-53) brightens the voice

Takamine 12-string (solid Sitka spruce top + laminated back & sides - decent voice, a bit shallow low end)
- Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor-Bronze (10-47)

LaPatrie 6-string classical (solid Cedar top + solid mahogany back & sides - full, warm voice)
- RotoSound "Black & Silver" - normal tension

Les Paul (solid body electric)
- D'Addario NYXL (10-46, very stable for use with tremolo, nice & crunchy)

Gretsch (full hollow-body electric)
- D'Addario Chromes Flat-Wound (11-50, nice & warm, easy on the fingers)

String tone is such a personal thing, and a person's playing style, music tastes, and guitar construction all come into play. The beauty of this is that strings don't cost very much ... so a person can experiment with different things without going broke. I will say that I didn't have good experiences with Martin SP Lifespan strings (ball ends breaking off top strings) or D'Addario coated-strings (dead right out of the box)

Have you tried changing pick material?

Baldguitardude wrote:

Have you tried changing pick material?

I have a few different types. 2 of my favorite are Tortex (orange and green I think) and the grey no slip Dunlop's usually thin to a medium, (ill have to look at the thickness when I get home)  I also have some credit card feeling ones that are the Peavey superhero series for DC and Marvel  LOLOL - Geek time but gotta love picking with spider-woman or SHE-HULK. lolol
Saw them at the music store and had to have one of each set. (not the $22 ones on amazon, about 7 each set smile )

unclejoesband wrote:

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5549/30524409334_6a511cd6bd_b.jpgJohn Pearse Strings by unclejoesband, on Flickr

Yep.  Those are good ones too.  I think Topdown is a big fan of John Pearse strings.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i love the sound from Martin custom lights .11-.52 but as you say, you know the sound you want and when you find it you'll know

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I use a special brand of strings. They are called whatever is cheapest as long as they start with an .11.  Picks-- Herco Flex 50.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

unclejoesband wrote:

Have a set coming Sunday. Thanks for the tip.

Being like many other people I've tried a lot of strings and different picks also looking for the elusive perfect sound.I finally hit the right combo(at least for me) and use the same setup on all my acoustics. Ernie Ball Earthwood medium lights for strings and Jim Dunlop medium/light picks. The strings are a bit bright at first (especially on the maple top Ovation) but mellow out quite nicely. The picks are heavy enough I don't feel like I'm holding tissue paper but thin enough to make the notes ring out. It's all personal preference, if it sounds good to you,play it

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Yep, gonna try the Earthwoods first. thanks for the reply.