Topic: folk gatherings

I went to a new folk night last night in a wee pub in the middle of nowhere called the carbeth inn. ( in scotland)
I had to stay sober as well as I had to drive.

I was planning just to go in and listen to what the regulars do, but got warned to take my guitar or I would regret it. It ended up a great night. I ended up having to play 2nd.

There were about 25-30 people, most musicians. sat in  big sort of circle, or the best we could and had turns of playing. those that wanted to join in jammed along jammed along.
From memory ( which should be quite good as I was sober for a change while in a pub) the instruments there were:
7 guitars
1 bazooki ? ( greek guitar)
2 mandolins
1 mandolin,
1 set of bag pipes ( not very noisy, the ones wit hthe bellow under the arm for the air)
3 or 4 bodhrans
2 harmonicas
1 fiddle
2 banjos, a 4 stinged and a 5 stringed
and a guy with a flute, clarinet and some other sort of windy blowy in sort of thing
1 penny whistle
and a lot of voices
oh yeah and the owner/barman played the piano as well

it was a fantastic night. Usually at these nights it is mostly scottish and irish folk songs ut last night had scottih and irish folk plus other songs, blues, acoustic rock, country, jaz, trad.scottish pop. All sort to please everyone.

I am just a bit peeved off I cannot get going every thursday night as my wife wants to go every thursday to play her fiddle and we cannot get a child minder every thursday.

so, if you know of anything that goes on like that in an area near you I advise you to go and take your instrument, even leave it in the car until you see what it is like.You will be gagging to get it out,especially if you have a few drinks ( but do not drink and drive)

I played. Wild rover, wish you were here, the hobo song, redemption songs, hush hush, black velvet band, as well as jamming with a couple other songs the best I could.

just thought I would share this with you all.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: folk gatherings

hi kilt, is the weather good up there. I love Scotland, and the Greek Instrument is a BOUZOUKI.
Do you like GREEK music? I don't, qk, some songs are good. But Greek music sounds very similar with TURKISH music and that music is related to EASTERN music, like INDIA. For us it is very sober and monotone, I better close my mouth because talking about things you don't really know is wrong
I asked once a question about plagiarism, of course a lot of songs are similar, just take the BLUES, and there are only 7 chords (basic chords), not talking about minor... This is what playing guitar means to me, using chords and try to put them in a an order, did you know that minor chords are almost always used in SAD songs.
I will make a new topic: why guitar, and what are your dreams and knowledge.
Let's see if people answer this. I wait for your opinion: 2 give more than 1.
Have a nice day.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

hi Phil,

I dont really like greek music, not that I have heard that much of it, but this woman was playing scottish folk songs wit hit, not greek.
I dont like much what I have heard from middle east to the far east, but that is not to say it is bad. I thin it might be a cultural thing, they might like it because they are used to it and grow up wit hit as I have done wit hscottish music. They might even hate it too because it is different from what they like and thats fair enough.

Yeah sad blues songs always play with minor chords and lots seem to end on an Em, but for the style of music that blues is, the chords just fit so good. I could not see muddy waters playing a sad blues song with E and A and F, F#. well, maybe he does????? doubt it.lol

oh yeah and I forgot to mention one more instrument there,  a big double bass was slapping away at some songs.

The weather here today is lovely, I just got back from the highland games in balloch ( a 10 mnute walk) people from all over were there, english,french,italian, american,canadian and other places I have no idea where they are fom,bus loads of them.
I might go out the back and have a bbq for dinner along with a bottle of Glen Moray.

byefurthenoo
Ken

What night of the week or how often do they have these gettogethers mate?   I stay about a 30min drive from the Carbeth  Inn and i would like to go along to one of these nights.

Hi Gilmour fan,

It is on every thrusday night, start off about 9pm but to get a good place, i.e. somewhere you can move easilt as well as play then i would advise to go about 8:25.
When you go in the main door turn to the right and go thru the middle section into the end, where people eat, thats where the fun is.

although dont expect the big double bass there, I tihnk the DB player and 3 guitarists only go every 4 weeks, but as far as I know it is a good week every week if yer into jamming scottish folk, irish folk and a few other. They dont really mind what you play I dont think as long as it is sort of easy listening to, i.e pink floyd ( ones people would know) clapton etc.
A song I left off my list was fishermans blues, sadly my wife was not there to play her fiddle but still a good song for jamming.

If ye get going say hello. I sit with a guitar with no name and a shaved bald head.

Also if yer only 30 mins away from carbeth inn ( depending what direction yer coming from ) there is a really good night in the pub in Fintry on a wednesday night, but since i would not get home until 1am I think I will wait until I have the thursday off work. BUT, on a wednesday night the Lomond folk group also have a jam in the masonic hall in Alexandria. I have been told it is a good night and I am hoping to get there this Wednesday.

Ken

of course i live in nebraska but there is a festival in newyork in late july called falcon ridge where a lot of folksy bands come and play as well as in the camoing area where people just sit out and play is good stuff.

oh i have a question upyerkilt how do you guys over there view americans

So Red Delicious

errrmmm,, ,lol, I dont think i should answer that on a public forum,lol.

but what people think and what they actually know are two very different things. People are ignorant.

Ok, I will tell you what I think, errmmm, no, better not. People will take offence, and I will hae to try and worm my way out of whatever I say, even though it might look bad I dont mean it bad if ye know what I mean.
I ave not really got an opinion on americans as a whole but I have got my personal opinions of americnas from different areas. Since they are not all the same all over the U.S it would be very silly for someone to slate all americans the same as new yorkers, or californians or red necks or whatever the most northernly americans are called ohioans? lol ( is that where they all interbreed) lol, yes, joke.

I know a lot of people here in the UK dont think much of americans, a couple of  reasons apart from their own ignorance.
1. the american governement. ( but then probably the majority dont like them either)
2. lots think americans think they are the best in the world, and they do brag about it a lot, especially when they are over here. Quote from the last american I spoke to " Of course we are better than the rest of the world, we are making the world better ,we lead the way and you all follow and youlove it"  I know this would not be he views of lots, but I have heard similar things like this from americans online as well as offline.
3. they are too religious and use the word God too many times when it is not needed.
4. Always here " have a nice day" they dont really mean it, I think they are trained to say it from an early age, why say it if you dont really mean it and the person on the receivig end knows they dont really mean it.

I like to take people from all over the world as I meet them individually, americans, english, irish, indians, iraqis, iranians, turks, greeks, french, german, chinese , japanese etc etc etc.
some of the worst people I have met that I tihnk are a waste of human life have lived on my doorstep in the past.
If someone treats me the way I treat others and dont preach dont force opinions, are kind to kids and others  and are honest etc then i will like them.

James and roger ( if yer reading) if this is too controversial for the forum please feel free to delete or edit or anything you want wit hit.
I got asked and I felt I just had to answer but I know things like this can cause a lot of illfeelings in a forum, somewhere you cannot see someones face so they can actually explain properly wht they mean. So if anything I have said looks bad, feel free, scrub it.

And to everyone els, if I have typed anything there that you feel strongly about and think I am talking crap then ok, thats your opinion, and maybe I am, but I say it how I see it and sorry for that. Not meaning to offend and if I never drank this hlaf bottle of whisky I might not even have started this ,lmao.

Ken

i occasionally go to orpington folk club which has a singer and musicians night

never taken the floor because I don't really have the skills on the acoustic guitar to turn out a song

in english folk clubs,  blues, especially electric blues, is regarded as a little too modern and country a little too ameri.....no, lets not start that again smile

however I am working on a couple of songs so one day soon.

still good ye get out to them though, even if to enjoy the night.
The few I have been to, it is not someone gets up like at an open mic night. It is just one big jam for whoever wants to join in. So even if you have not got the skills to knock out a cong on yer own, you let someone else know the chords and they play along and if you have a fiddle, other guitars, accordian, banjo, mandolin etc it allows you to make mistakes ,lol

And although you say country is seen as too american, not all is country and western sort of music, lots of country music is just american folk music, and since it is a folk night, it does not have to just be scottish,irish,english etc. I play a few english folk songs up here and dont get any complaints. Even though when everyone is playing things like how hard done by the scots were by the english, they will then sing along to the streets of london.
Ye just canny beat a goof folk night to get people together.

Ken

I am 100% convinced and I really DO HOPE, that we should have at least once a big meeting. Imagine at least 1000 of us, chordians, staying there, exchanging tips, tricks songs. I am afraid that the organisation of such a meeting will be a horrible task.
You need money to go there, so it will be quit expensive which I think will be the biggest problem.
It looks like a dream, meeting all the people behind their (nick) names, and having fun fun fun.
We should maybe invite a professional guitar player and have our mini Woodstock.
Unfortunately, this will be a year project, getting a lot of us together for a few days. For me I think it is possible, even when there are only 100 chordians, it will be a success.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

That sounds like a great idea Phil,
But like you aid it woul cost quite a bit. And what country would it be in? when etc etc etc.

If I ever win a roll over in the lottery I willpay for 50 to travel. Yep, a dream it is,lol, but a nice one.

Ken

Gilmour fan

Did you ever go up to Carbeth inn for the folk night?

I was up again last Thursay and it was even better than the last time. Was a lot more scottish and irish songs.
Hopefully be making it this thursday if I get a child minder for a few hours.

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:

I know a lot of people here in the UK dont think much of americans, a couple of  reasons apart from their own ignorance.

Well hey now!  big_smile

1. the american governement. ( but then probably the majority dont like them either)

Yeah.  I'm really sorry about that.  Honestly.  I did what I could, but it weren't enough.  I don't believe I am alone in my remorse.   http://www.sorryeverybody.com/  So while ultimately we as citizens are responsible for this fiasco, please know that some of us are less responsible than others.

But look at the bright side.   You get to sit outside this fiasco and watch me have to live in it!  big_smile

But again, I do apologize for American foreign affairs over the last couple of decades.   The last decade in particular.

2. lots think americans think they are the best in the world, and they do brag about it a lot, especially when they are over here. Quote from the last american I spoke to " Of course we are better than the rest of the world, we are making the world better ,we lead the way and you all follow and youlove it"  I know this would not be he views of lots, but I have heard similar things like this from americans online as well as offline.

Well, I wouldn't phrase it like that, but I do think as a world citizen, we have quite a bit to offer, and our track record in some areas is unmatched.  We did put a man on the moon and cure polio and stuff.   Most of the world's PhDs are educated here.    The world votes with their feet, and tries to come here for some reason.    It's because the opportunities are better here.

3. they are too religious and use the word God too many times when it is not needed.

Again, I apologize for my Bible Belt living countrymen.  You should know that this is a somewhat localized phenomenon, though, and is not reflective of the majority of the nation.   Mostly in the South.   It's more like a really vocal minority makes the rest of us look like nutters.  But we're not, really.

4. Always here " have a nice day" they dont really mean it, I think they are trained to say it from an early age, why say it if you dont really mean it and the person on the receivig end knows they dont really mean it.

Now here I just think you're projecting a bit.   You can't know whether someone means it or not.  And even if they didn't mean it,  I think the best thing you could take from it is that Americans are polite.   We could just tell you to pack sand, but that would be rude!

And to everyone els, if I have typed anything there that you feel strongly about and think I am talking crap then ok, thats your opinion, and maybe I am, but I say it how I see it and sorry for that. Not meaning to offend and if I never drank this hlaf bottle of whisky I might not even have started this ,lmao.

Ken

I don't feel strongly about it.   I look at it as an opportunity to talk about cultural attitudes, and share some experience and knowledge.   I'm going to be asking you about cricket in a bit, and explaining to you why baseball is a vastly superior sport.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

hmmmm, might go to that, is it the one in glasgow?

15 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-08-14 16:49:40)

Hi Kiera,
yea well just outside on the stalkiemuir roa on the way to drymen.

Ken

jerome,

Damn good replies there lol
That was not all my own personal thoughts by the way, just what I hear others saying.

BUT,
yeah America did put man on the moon first, but it was the great soviets that put him in space first, and also if america didnt do it, someone else would have anyway, so you will have top retract that. Winning a race doesnt make someone better.:lol:

And your reply about the religious thing, although I dont really mind what people think about religion, but you have a point about a minority making everyone look like nutters. ( we have a minority in scotland that wear kilt yet lots think we all wear kilts and run around chasing haggis in the hils)
Maybe there is too much attention on the minorities and less on the better side of things.

oh yeah and talking about being great, lets see
the scottish discovered penicillan
61% of American Presidents are of Scots or Scots-Irish descent
James Pollock, of Scots descent, put the slogan "In God We Trust" on American coins!
A Scot, James Watt, developed the first efficient steam engine and in so doing started the Industrial Revolution.
A Scot, John Logie Baird, invented the Television.
A Scot, John Napier, invented logarithms and the decimal notation.
A Scot, Kirkpatrick Macmillan, invented the bicycle.
A Scot, John Paul Jones, founded the American Navy.
A Scot, Alexander Fleming, discovered Penicillin.
A Scot, William Paterson, founded the Bank of England.
A Scot, Alexander Graham Bell, invented the telephone.
A Scot, John Chalmers, invented the adhesive postage stamp.
A Scot, John Boyd Dunlop, invented the car tyre.
A Scot, Captain Patrick Ferguson, invented the breech loading rifle.
A Scot, Major General Lachlan Macquarie, know as the 'Father of Australia',
A Scot, Sir John Alexander Macdonald, was the first Prime Minister of Canada under confederation.
A Scot, Thomas Blake Glover, was one of the founding fathers of modern Japan.
A Scot, Henry Faulds pioneered the use of fingerprints as means of undisputed identity of people.
A Scot, Robert Stirling, invented the Stirling engine in 1850. Stirling engines are being studied at NASA for use in powering space vehicles with solar energy!
The Scots invented Golf.
“History credits the Rev. Elijah Craig, a Baptist minister, with being the first in 1789 to make bourbon.† He was a Scotsman. Kentucky is the place for bourbon because of the limestone which makes the water almost iron-free. “The first bourbon recognized by brand outside of Kentucky probably was produced by Dr. James Crow...a Scotsman who settled near the Rev. Craig’s place.† He was known by the locals as Jim Crow.
The Scottish-American Hall of Fame contains more plaques for the military than any other category. Twenty-one men are installed including Daniel Boone who is listed as an “Indian Fighter.† The list is as follows: George Rogers Clark, Frontier hero of the Revolutionary War; Stonewall Jackson; Joseph E. Johnston; Henry Knox; Arthur MacArthur, army general, father of Douglas MacArthur; George B. McClellan; Alexander Macomb, general and hero of the War of 1812; William (Billy) Mitchell, controversial air power advocate; William Multrie; George S. Patton, WWII exponent of mobile warfare; Winfred Scott, Mexican War and Chief of staff; J.E.B. Stuart, Confederate cavalry general; Christopher “Kit† Carson, frontiersman and explorer; William Clark, explorer with Merriwether Lewis; Davy Crockett, frontiers-man who died at the Alamo. Two individuals are listed under the category of “Naval.† They are David Glasgow Farragut, Civil War naval hero, and John Paul Jones, Revolutionary War naval hero.
Famous Quote: "If all else fails, I will retreat up the valley of Virginia, plant my flag on the Blue Ridge, rally around the Scotch-Irish of that region and make my last stand for liberty amongst a people who will never submit to British tyranny whilst there is a man left to draw a trigger." George Washington, Valley Forge.
Scottish Freemasonry is now officially recognised as being the oldest in the world and is now recorded as a Guinness World Record.
Scot invented suspenders.
Although the Scots comprise less than one-half of 1 percent of the world’s population, 11 percent of all Nobel prizes have been awarded to Scotsmen. Quote from "The Mark of the Scots" by Duncan A Bruce.
The world’s first university faculty of engineering and technical science was in Glasgow.
67 US Politicians were born in Scotland that we know off.
There are estimated to be 20,000 Americans living in Scotland and half a million visit each year.
It is estimated that 15% of Canadians are of Scots descent.
Scotland invented branch banking and so brought banking facilities to the people and the world.
"The Reverend Malcolm MacDonald, a native of Whitton, Quebec, a descendant of the early Scots settlers and of the first church established in the area, says:
"‘The Book of Books was the library they opened, and the Church of Jesus Christ was the first institution they established and that in their homes, and the Gospel of Christ was the philosophy they espoused.’ "
"The most casual observer and historian must admit that these early settlers played a leading part in setting the course in which the Nation travels today.
"I am indeed grateful that we are privileged to stand in the stream of a noble, spiritual, national and cultural tradition, which has flourished in Scotland for centuries, and for some 150 years established firmly on this North American Continent, in both Canada and the United States.
SCOTS emigres to the US are five times more likely to become dollar millionaires than those from any other country, according to a study of wealth. Thomas Stanley and William Danko, in their book The Millionaire Next Door, analysed the ethnic backgrounds of the wealthiest members of US society and discovered that while people of Scottish origin make up 1.7% of the population, they comprise 9.3% of its millionaires.
At the battle of Trafalgar (The British under Nelson won a decisive naval battle off southern Spain against the French and Spanish.) in 1805 around 30% of the fleet's crew hailed from Scotland and Scottish industry provided timber products, sails, ropes, iron cannons and iron balls.
Scottish Explorers and Fur Trappers
Read about how Scots dominated the Fur trade and by so doing opened up Canada and the West.

well, sorry to go on a bit there, but with me being scottish, I am damn prooud of how internationally great my country is and how we are loved internationally for our friendliness, our humour, our music, our hospitallity. Without us the world would be a worst pace to live,lol.

Amazing the trivial things ye find on the nett to reply back to people ,lol

the only thing I am shocked at is it was an merican woman that invented the ar's windscreen wiper. Although I would put a bet on she must have scottish blood in her,why did a man not invent this? lol

Ken

17 (edited by badeye 2007-08-14 22:25:24)

Thats a great post Upyerkilt. I am of Scottish decent . Both my parents are Scottish.

Long live the Scots.

Badeye  Mc Dougall

one caper after another

Yeah, I agree, those of us of Scotts-Irish descent are fabulous people.

But back to the nation bashing....      What is up with cricket?  Why don't you folks play a proper sport like baseball?   big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey Jerome .As kids [some forty years ago] we would play a game similar to Baseball but like Kricket. We would get six big juice cans,set em up in a pyramid of three about 35 feet apart. two players to a team with a red and white sponge ball.each side had two batters [one team] and two pitchers [one team]who also were fielders. We used baseball gloves  when pitching and fielding.Baseball bats when hitting.The pitcher tried to knock the cans over,thus three outs. The batter tried to hit the ball and when he did the two batters would run back and forth counting each time a base was touched.The fielders could tag out a runner like in baseball.Hitting the cans and getting all three over was three outs and was hard to do because that was the wheel house or strike zone. The scores were very high, but close.I tell ya it was a lot of fun.we would go nine innings just like baseball. When one pitcher pitched the other acted as catcher or fielder.I tell it would be fun to get all the boys together and play again. Probably have to have an ambulance on the ready,lol. Lots of ice and beer .

Take Care,...Badeye.

one caper after another

20 (edited by badeye 2007-08-15 08:58:57)

Sorry my post was a little off thread,But to get all the guys back together would be a Folk Gathering as were are all grown up and have families.Some of us even play guitar.lol.
A lot of kids played back then. We could have a world series of Cricket-ball.Anyway have a great day.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Just a bit of useless information about cricket.

The very first (recognised) international cricket match took place in 1847. Between the USA and Canada.

The last time England fielded a cricket team where 100% of the team were born in England was in 1989, and that was only because Robin Smith and Allan Lamb (both born and bred South Africans) were unavailable.

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Yeah, I agree, those of us of Scotts-Irish descent are fabulous people.

But back to the nation bashing....      What is up with cricket?  Why don't you folks play a proper sport like baseball?   big_smile

I couldnt agree more with you, I hate cricket. it is an english game really, not scottish, although someone in scotland has decided we need a cricket team for some unknown reason tome!! I would much prefer to have baseball a fantastic game that.........wait for it..........steady on now........... the........the.....dare I say it............. The americans invented lol

i am not into nation bashing, not unless it is the ............
ok, stop there,
lets leave the nation bashing alone, we are all horrible humans on a lovely planet.

Ken

Hello all, has anyone ever played the game I talked about in this thread? We played a lot of organized Baseball growing up in the Pee-Wee and Minor league. This game was made up for the fun of it.I mean what kid playes with Juice cans?lol
Well to watch the game of Cricket is boring.Baseball can be boring as well except for the playoffs.Us Canadians are more into Hockey.As for Nation Bashing-No Need, all Nations are great in their own way.

Have a great day.....Badeye.

one caper after another

upyerkilt wrote:

Gilmour fan

Did you ever go up to Carbeth inn for the folk night?

I was up again last Thursay and it was even better than the last time. Was a lot more scottish and irish songs.
Hopefully be making it this thursday if I get a child minder for a few hours.

Ken

A belated thankyou for your information Upyerkilt,  forgive my rudeness not thanking you a lot sooner.  in my defence im on here infrequently, and when i am its usually pouring throught  the replys and advice for beginners.  Oh and i would like to say,  i recentlly mastered the Bminor and a few other bar chords when i told the mrs she replied "theres a dead cat along at the lane"

25 (edited by Zurf 2008-02-25 12:00:39)

upyerkilt wrote:

A Scot, John Napier, invented logarithms

So I've got the Scots to blame for my poor geometry grades...

You really should try partying with some of those Buckeyes.  They're a fun crowd.  Just keep your barnyard animals locked up when they're about.  (Buckeye is the term for folks from Ohio.  The folks in Ohio think that it refers to a kind of tree that grows very large all around the state, but most everyone else recognizes that it's talking about the fruit of the tree, which is a worthless nut.)  (Simmer down, Buckeyes.  I kid because I care.) 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude