Topic: Jam session Walking the Dog

I get together with a couple friends mostly once a week and we just have a blast playing some old and new songs with some originals thrown in this is a song from the mid 60's by Rufus Thomas "Walking the Dog" we are adding a large green screen backdrop so I can spice up the videos with some motion backgrounds and such. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJWjivu … e=youtu.be

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Jam session Walking the Dog

Russell.... that was really good and wow awesome, that would be so much fun to do that each week with a bunch of mates and jam together.   It sounded great smile 
Now i am going to show my ignorance again ................. 
1st question,  the bass player, his base guitar looked like it had a 5th string?
2nd question, how on earth do you all manage to play and sing and remember all the chords, lyrics without reading them?  that must take lots of practice to remember so many songs.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Russell, Another good one. You had me grooving along with you. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Hi Jan thank you, yes it is a five string bass he is playing personally I prefer 4 string but adding a lower tone string opens the way for more creative possibilities and making mistakes lol Remembering arrangements and lyrics comes natural after playing professionally for over 50 years in club bands some folks cannot and occasionally I use a chart for a new song I am doing till I commit it to memory thanks for giving a look and commenting smile

Jandle wrote:

Russell.... that was really good and wow awesome, that would be so much fun to do that each week with a bunch of mates and jam together.   It sounded great smile 
Now i am going to show my ignorance again ................. 
1st question,  the bass player, his base guitar looked like it had a 5th string?
2nd question, how on earth do you all manage to play and sing and remember all the chords, lyrics without reading them?  that must take lots of practice to remember so many songs.

Joe the songs from the 50's, and 60's were not as complicated and fun to play which makes them easier to try ideas out thanks for taking a look and your comments smile

Tyson7 wrote:

Russell, Another good one. You had me grooving along with you. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

I left comments for you on the Tube, my friend, but just to let you know, you brought a smile to my face when I heard this one. Not only because I used to play it back in the 60's, but because you captured the "style".

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Bill your comments are always appreciated I was playing clubs in the 60's when songs like these first played on the radio and naturally all the club bands added them to there song lists the "style" is a tight rhythm section which is the backbone of any group rock jazz or whatever I will leave a comment on you tube when I can thanks again for the nice words smile

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I left comments for you on the Tube, my friend, but just to let you know, you brought a smile to my face when I heard this one. Not only because I used to play it back in the 60's, but because you captured the "style".

Thanks!

Bill

I loved it Russell one of my favorite oldies.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thank you dino, it is also one of mine! songs like this were a lot of fun to play back in the 60's and still fun smile

dino48 wrote:

I loved it Russell one of my favorite oldies.

Great stuff Russ.
I enjoyed that..

Thanks ark, those oldies are a lot of fun to play they stand the test of time smile

arkady wrote:

Great stuff Russ.
I enjoyed that..

2nd that, here's our rendition Russ>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XxbotOHrKI

~S~

13 (edited by Grah1 2017-01-08 17:55:25)

Great version Sisyphus  loads of energy..Yours too Russell  equally good

Thanks but.....I think we could slow it down a tad ....~S~