Topic: I have no idea what i'm doing.....

The drummer quit, and with it  the rehearsal studio and sound gear went'poof' 

And we've booked gigs ......so i beat feet, built a studio in the barn>

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/ChickenSteve_2006/goat%20studio%20002_zps0lrws5xl.jpg

threw all this stuff in the door>>

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/ChickenSteve_2006/goat%20studio%20lights%20001_zpsknendnjh.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/ChickenSteve_2006/studio%20curtains%20003_zpsytsxygrf.jpg

but i never really did any serious sound or lights .......nor have my bandmates.......:(     

what would you suggest i (we) do.....?
~S~

Re: I have no idea what i'm doing.....

Welcome to Chordie, Sisyphus!

What you've done there is a job to be proud of ... nice studio! I hope you didn't have to turn any cows or horses out to pasture in the process! big_smile Looking forward to hearing about your projects, your band, your music, etc.

Keep in touch, eh? (typical Canadian greeting)

I suggest you either get a band or cancel your gigs in time for the venues to find replacements.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tenement Funster wrote:

Welcome to Chordie, Sisyphus!

What you've done there is a job to be proud of ... nice studio! I hope you didn't have to turn any cows or horses out to pasture in the process! big_smile Looking forward to hearing about your projects, your band, your music, etc.

Keep in touch, eh? (typical Canadian greeting)

Thank you , yes i've a LOT of questions....~S~

Zurf wrote:

I suggest you either get a band or cancel your gigs in time for the venues to find replacements.

Well we have a band,  the new drummer comes in tomorrow (thankfully, because i'm not much good at setting up the Gretch set)  , we've something like 60 odd tunes to go over , and i have to learn how to do 'stage sound' fairly quick , so i got a wireless for my bass, figure i could go for a walk if i can't get someone from the crowd to thumbs up/down.....still intimidating ........sound can make/break a band!     ~S~

Sorry.  I thought you meant that you didn't know what to do about the dates. 

If you meant that you don't know what to do about live sound, that's a whole different ball of wax.  I used to do some very simple sound engineering.  There are some remarkably good white papers and beginner introduction write-ups available.  I'm sorry that I don't have any of those old links bookmarked or I'd share them.  I suspect if you do a Google Search on "Live Sound for Beginners" or "Introduction to Band Live Sound" or some such that you'd find some real zingers and maybe some Youtube tutorials.  If you've already got your live sound board, then you could search on it.  About the only thing I can tell you is to have the sound guy control the monitors, because otherwise the lead guitarist will cut everyone else out and crank himself/herself up to 11 and you'll have terrible feedback and it's all that anyone will hear.  Or the bass player, but since you're the bass player I"m sure you wouldn't do that.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Also, if you have a problem when  you're live after getting the sound test to sound right, you're first inclination will be to check the cables.  Don't. The problem is that you need to push the button.  Find which button needs pushing, then push it.  Once you push the button, the sound will work better.

It's been awhile but I used to run sound for a couple local bands and also took care of the lighting.You'll find every venue is different as to how you're going to set up your board. If everyone is playing through their own amp make sure your stage volume is loud enough that everybody can hear each other but not so loud it carries past your p.a. The bass (no knocks here) is usually the hardest to keep under control but you want that bass thump coming through your stacks so you can feel it. Get your board levels set so you can still turn up your leads but you're not clipping your meters. Remember to return any channels you turn up back to your original setting. I highly suggest you find somebody to run sound for you as trying to do it from stage can be challenging. Running from the stage you don't have the option of tweaking things while you're playing and if something needs adjusted you're having somebody drop out to do it. The lighting isn't such a big deal. If you're using par cans make sure everybody's covered and watch using green. It's fine to point a green light at somebody if you're doing back lighting. Pointing green at somebody from the front isn't wrong but it tends to make for a sickly looking performer. Set your sequencer and run a couple quick checks. If back lighting your light should extend slightly past the band but not blinding people dancing/watching. You may have a few bumps in the road figuring everything out but if you set up for practice like a regular gig (p.a. and lights) you'll figure it out. I prefer to run everything through the board and use monitors so everyone's on the same page and level but that's me. Good looking job on the studio and hoping things work out for you. As long as people can hear everything and nobody gets out of control,it's all good. Good luck

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Good advice all & thx,  i bought all new cables Zurf, because of that exact reason.....AND i found out the come colored, so there's no need to really label the board anymore

And i gave the last sound man that ran us (along with the noob start up band)  my number , trying to get him to the studio ,pay him a few hours of his time bswyers ,  but i'm thinking a 14 X 18 room isn't a club 'reality'  ......

and what is your opinion on front vs backlighting?   Personally i felt blind as well as deaf w/ frontlighting 

~S~

Get yourself a copy of Room EQ Wizard, measure the heck out of that place, and treat it accordingly.

Then come over to my house and build another one.  big_smile

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

11 (edited by jerome.oneil 2017-01-09 20:57:22)

And after further reading...

It sounds like you're going to have to haul your own PA gear around, which is a complete and total drag.   I did that for a long time and I'll never do it again, unless the Queen is in attendance or something.

But if you gotta....  Buy powered amps.   Avoid an external PA at all costs as they weigh a ton, and need their own enclosure to be moved and hauled about.     Buy a mixer with a separate control room buss that you can use to send to your monitors without tinkering with the mix going to the crowd.   Buy four of em.  Two for the crowd, and two for stage monitors.   If you can get a wireless headset monitoring system, that is a way better option than floor monitors.  They can be expensive, though.

I have a couple of Pyle 600W powered speakers that I plug into a Behringer 2442 and it works great.

Ultimately, though, the way we fixed that was simply not playing places that didn't have their own sound system.  big_smile

Jerome, i do than you for the  room wiz link, in fact it appears i may quite well spend a lotta time there........and we got all powered stuff, 2 powered mains, 4 powered monitors, board takes 4 mics and has all the effects, could fit on a barstool.....i also have a wireless ear monitor, but haven't quite figured it out yet......so here's the deal, we're 'stage volume' with only volcals going thru the 'PA'  , trying to run as light as possible, no  heavy woofers , i literally bought it all with weight in mind , just haven't run it all 'live' yet so i'm on pins/needles  ~S~

I never use monitors, when I did a while ago, I got a ton of feed back. I know everyone will say; place them carefully and turn them down....in small rooms which I play both options would just defeat the object. Sound is important, probably as important as being tight and rehearsed so if you don't have a sound man out front, I would suggest a monitor for the drummer only. Everyone else can hear the PA and keep the instrumental balance seeing as it's a vocal only PA.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Interesting Phill,    so how would you place the mains?  Would they be in front, or in back of the band?  ~S~

Phill Williams wrote:

I never use monitors, when I did a while ago, I got a ton of feed back. I know everyone will say; place them carefully and turn them down....in small rooms which I play both options would just defeat the object. Sound is important, probably as important as being tight and rehearsed so if you don't have a sound man out front, I would suggest a monitor for the drummer only. Everyone else can hear the PA and keep the instrumental balance seeing as it's a vocal only PA.

If the venue is small enough to support less, I'd always go with less.

But there is no more deafening a silence than on a really loud stage when the stage monitors decide to fade out.  big_smile

sisyphus wrote:

Interesting Phill,    so how would you place the mains?  Would they be in front, or in back of the band?  ~S~

Mains are always in front of the band.  The last thing you want is your mains behind your microphones.

thx Jerome....., shows what i know......~S~

sisyphus wrote:

thx Jerome....., shows what i know......~S~

No worries.   Generally speaking, if you have a speaker cone pointed at the business end of a microphone feeding that speaker, you're probably doing something wrong.  The good news is that the setup will let you know immediately by making a horrible screeching noise.  big_smile

Yeah, squealed like a stuck pig , figured it out fairly quick on the studio's debut last night.     

Our singer wants some SM58's , which i found on Amazon , but happy with all else

I can see how a 14x 18' room really makes sound a challenge , can't turn up much

~S~

SM-58s are great mics. I've got two of them.  Should be a regular part of anyone's microphone locker.