Topic: 20 and 22 fret electric necks

Could someone describe to me some of the nuances of 20 fret  an 22 fret electric guitars to me?

Re: 20 and 22 fret electric necks

I'm not sure I understand the question. The only nuance as far as I'm aware is less notes to miss. smile Maybe lower string tension given shorter string length.

My Tele has 21 frets, my Cort has 24. The extra 3 frets make a big difference if I'm playing Albatross. It also makes it slightly easier to bend the strings when playing up the neck. Others may not agree, but that's my opinion.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

my telecaster  = 21
Martin =20
ibanez  jazz 23 =
fender 12 string = 20
Les Paul Gibson =22

I haven't used any of them past the  12th fret  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-01-26 11:44:12)

There's a lot of lead guitar tabs that go to the 17th fret. The 24-fret does give the guitarist a full four octaves, and some guitarists write music for it. The scale length (bridge -> nut) of most guitars is  around 24.5". If the actual scale length isn't longer for a 24-fret, then those upper frets get very tight. PRS and Ibanez make some 24-fret guitars, as likely do others.

I love BGD's comment ... more notes to miss! big_smile

The only considerations I think are relevant is Intonation(the first) and string height over the frets, next would be tuners and how well the guitar stays close to relative pitch in the heat of battle if you have to stop to tune after each song or during a song you need to look at other tuners or change strings more often I change at least once a week sometimes twice depending on how much I practice or rehearse with the band.I do not think the number of frets limit your ability if the guitar is setup right.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Most Classical Guitars have 18 1/2 frets as standard.  The 1/2 fret is at the sound hole and is not playable. I don't honestly know if the 20 and 22 frets mentioned on other types of guitars means a longer neck or if it means closer frets than on a classical. If anyone has both steel strings with 20 or 22 frets and also has a classical guitar maybe they will notice and let me know.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Russell - This was the best info I got. You see, I'm looking into getting a hollowbody or semi-hollowbody. One of the only ones I've found with 22 frets is the Epiphone Riviera. I'll do more research. It's an ongoing consideration. But the citing of string height may be the closest thing I'm going to find without "feeling" the action myself. I think some of the Ibanez guitars also have 22 frets, bit, for the most part, the rest have 20. I'm sure that Wes Montgomery, or BB King, or George Benson, or Joe Pass, didn't let 20 frets hold them back! Duh!! But since I couldn't begin to compare my abilities to any of those famed professional performers, I've got to figure that will fit into my limitations and still come off as "listenable", if you will. Thanks again, Russ!

Russell_Harding wrote:

The only considerations I think are relevant is Intonation(the first) and string height over the frets, next would be tuners and how well the guitar stays close to relative pitch in the heat of battle if you have to stop to tune after each song or during a song you need to look at other tuners or change strings more often I change at least once a week sometimes twice depending on how much I practice or rehearse with the band.I do not think the number of frets limit your ability if the guitar is setup right.

KevinRK wrote:

Russell - This was the best info I got. You see, I'm looking into getting a hollowbody or semi-hollowbody. One of the only ones I've found with 22 frets is the Epiphone Riviera. I'll do more research. It's an ongoing consideration. But the citing of string height may be the closest thing I'm going to find without "feeling" the action myself. I think some of the Ibanez guitars also have 22 frets, bit, for the most part, the rest have 20. I'm sure that Wes Montgomery, or BB King, or George Benson, or Joe Pass, didn't let 20 frets hold them back! Duh!! But since I couldn't begin to compare my abilities to any of those famed professional performers, I've got to figure that will fit into my limitations and still come off as "listenable", if you will. Thanks again, Russ!

Russell_Harding wrote:

You are very welcome good luck in your search hang out in a few music stores and try out a few before pulling the trigger smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"