Topic: NPAD

Last week I got a call from my best buddy from high school (he was best man at my wedding and I was the best man for his).  He chided me for not coming to visit him for a few years, although he has stopped to see me several times. (He still has family in the area).  I promised him I'd try to make an attempt this year.  He lives about 250 miles away in Brighton, Michigan.  A couple days later I was on ebay and saw a listing for a Fishman SA220 solo performance system but the auction winner had to come pick it up - in Brighton Michigan!  The seller claimed the unit was like new, never used for gigs and worked perfectly.

Since I've retired I've had a few requests to play some gigs but as I've never had a good PA I've turned most of them down.  Occasionally I've played at very small venues where my Fender Acoustasonic 90 provided enough sound reinforcement. I'd used a borrowed SA220 a couple years ago for a singer/songwriter performance and liked the portability, ease of setup and for my vocal range and style of play it was a good fit.  With 220 watts, it had enough power for a pretty big room.

I won the bid and got the Fishman for $350.  The street price for them new was about $1000 but since Fishman has now came out with a 330 watt unit the price for an SA220 has fallen to about $800 new and around $600 used.  I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the 250 mile drive to pick it up and then spend the night at my friend's house. It'll be like getting a "2 for 1" deal for the approximately $50 it'll cost for gas.  Plus I'll have a new toy to play with while I'm on "restricted duty" following my knee replacement surgery next week.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: NPAD

Sounds like a fun road trip. Have fun and stay safe.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-01-29 14:02:22)

That's a great deal on that system, DE ... congratulations! And isn't it nice when things align the way they have for you and your buddy? Enjoy the trip!

a road trip a sleepover and a new PA does it get better than that? CONGRATS, sounds like a bargain, have fun.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Seems to me that you and that PA were destined to be together!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Karma for sure  - play it like you're with your best friend! Oh, Wait - you will be ! smile
Congrats on the pick... have fun with your friend - I'm Jealous - wish I could be with mine !

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks everyone, I got back home last night.  I had a great visit with my buddy Steve, talking about the old high school days, our freshman year in college, the road trips we took to California, Florida, etc and about our families and new grandkids. Picking up the Fishman went smoothly and I've been playing around with it all morning while Jen took the dogs to the groomer - allowing me to crank it up check everything out at higher volumes.  It should work great for the solo gigs I generally am asked to play.

Tomorrow night I'll be playing at Bennet Hall at Ohio University as part of a fund raiser for out Foothill Folk Society group.  In past years we've bought and donated guitars and free lessons to kids who otherwise would not get a chance to learn how to play. (If they attend the lessons faithfully for 6 months and progress, they get to keep the guitars.)  We had several students last year and with a couple of them "graduating"  we have room for 2-3 more this spring.  We are also expanding our efforts and have contacted local schools to see if there is some way we can assist in their music programs.  Every year we have a different theme for our shows.  This year it will be a "living room jam" theme.  We are setting the stage with couches, chairs, lamps, etc like in someone's home.  The show will start with me and two other performers sitting on a couch and playing a few songs.  Other "folks" will be phoned and asked to come over to join the jam or some will "just drop by", each act arriving by knocking at the door, entering the living room and being asked to join the jam and sit down and play a few songs. There will be a dozen acts in total. We haven't had much time to prepare for the event, haven't had any rehearsals, but just plan to ad lib the whole thing.  It'll probably drive the sound man crazy, but it should be fun.  We were contacted by a public TV station who wants to film the event.  I'm not sure of the status of the talks with the film crew, as I missed Tuesday's planning meeting because I was in Michigan buying the Fishman.

DE

Happy new pa day Ken. Sounds like you had a fun trip to get it too. Sounds like you have a fun show planned wish I was closer and could see it. Say hi to Jen, good luck with the show and your upcoming surgery too.

Man, I so want to win the lottery so I can give you a ton of money for that Foothills organization.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Man, I so want to win the lottery so I can give you a ton of money for that Foothills organization.

If you know some of the musicians in your area who would like to preserve your local arts and music as well as do some things to help the community, you should be able to start a similar group in your area.  Correctly filling out all the required paperwork for a non-profit organization, establishing by-laws, and getting folks to agree to hold an office is the hard part when you first start.

Ken, it's really awesome that you do all this.  It sure does sound like a TON of fun, and it's awesome for the community.  IF there are any recordings that you get hold of, or are linked to online, you know we'd ALL love to watch and hear a little!  OH - and congrats on the PA, and a good overdue visit with a good friend.  That's the stuff of life!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:

If you know some of the musicians in your area who would like to preserve your local arts and music as well as do some things to help the community, you should be able to start a similar group in your area.  Correctly filling out all the required paperwork for a non-profit organization, establishing by-laws, and getting folks to agree to hold an office is the hard part when you first start.

I've been living in this house for 22 years, and almost everyone I know around here I met on-line.  It's very difficult to get to know anyone here.  At least for me.  Sawyer seems to have done a better job of it.